Thread: Richard III dig: DNA confirms bones are king's

Hybrid View

1. #1 Richard III dig: DNA confirms bones are king's 
    A skeleton found beneath a Leicester car park has been confirmed as that of English king Richard III.
    Experts from the University of Leicester said DNA from the bones matched that of descendants of the monarch's family.
    Lead archaeologist Richard Buckley, from the University of Leicester, told a press conference to applause: "Beyond reasonable doubt it's Richard."
    Richard, who died in 1485, will be reinterred in Leicester Cathedral.
    Continue reading the main story

His skeleton had suffered 10 injuries, including eight to the skull.
    The bones, which are of a man in his late 20s or early 30s, have been carbon dated to a period from 1455-1540.
    Richard was 32 when he was killed at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485.
    Speaking at the press conference at the University of Leicester, Dr Turi King, project geneticist, said there had been concern DNA in the bones would be too degraded: "The question was could we get a sample of DNA to work with, and I am extremely pleased to tell you that we could."
    She added: "There is a DNA match between the maternal DNA of the descendants of the family of Richard III and the skeletal remains we found at the Greyfriars dig.
    "In short, the DNA evidence points to these being the remains of Richard III." ...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-21063882

A mystery is solved!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    See, that's what happens when you leave your horse in a parking lot!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

I'm kind of surprised that they found his body. I would think Henry VII would have had it destroyed.

They found the bodies of the nephews Richard killed in order to assume the throne in the Tower in the 17th or 18th century during some renovations.

[hijack]

I hope they didn't find a match to Burger King.......

[/hijack]
    http://allenbwest.com/
    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg
    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    See, that's what happens when you leave your horse in a parking lot!!!
    That's the problem. He didn't get the horse so he got whacked.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Now the family will finally have closure knowing he was murdered.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Power CUer
    The Leicester City Council has capitalized on this since the discovery of the bones last fall. A friend of mine in England posted on my Facebook page a photo of a sign there: "This is a Pay & Display Car Park. Please Pay At Ticket Machine. No Burying of Dead Monarchs".
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Now the family will finally have closure knowing he was murdered.

They will never have closure. There is a society dedicated to proving that Shakespeare was a Tudor propagandist who trashed their ancestor in order to kiss up to Henry VIII and later to Elizabeth I. They believe that Richard was innocent of all wrong doing in the disappearance of the sons of his older brother, Edward IV, the legitimate heirs after their father's death. And, of course, Shakespeare's play accuses him of killing so many more than just the two Princes-their uncles on both the York and the Woodville sides of the family, the Mayor of London (Lord Hastings), Buckingham, his wife (the Lady Anne), and so on. He also tried to marry his niece after his wife died, and that is documented outside of Shakespeare, in the correspondance between he and Princess Margaret, who, of course, ended up marrying Henry Richmond, who became Henry VII after dispatching Richard in his final battle.

I think the group is called the Yorkist Society or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I bet their official mascot is the Yorkie.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Believe it or not, the Society dedicated to exonerating Richard III is called the Richard III Society. They got their impetus from Josephine Tey's wonderful historical mystery novel, "The Daughter of Time".
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken