Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 I passed a homeless couple on my way to the dentist. 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Wait!!! A homeless couple??? With a Dem President??? And it's Lord Obama??? Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

But wait!!! A good story follows!!!

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 08:47 PM
    Cleita

I passed a homeless couple on my way to the dentist.

The sat by the side of the road hunched with a hand lettered cardboard sign that read, "COLD AND HUNGRY, PLEASE HELP".

I thought I would stop and give them a $20.(Awww,how nice...) I wanted to ask to take a picture of them and their sign. I want to start documenting this in case I can get someone's attention about these people. I then remembered that I had to pay the dentist and I would barely have enough money to pay my rent and buy groceries for the rest of the month after that. (So...apparently no 20!!!) I didn't feel it would be right to take their picture without giving them something and, of course, asking their permission. (Well of course!!! But you didn't say you gave them anything...just came up with excuses, poor you!!!)

I have seen many homeless with the same signs with variations of the same message that they are hungry and need help. I know we have services in my town, so I went on line (Ahhhh, you have the internets!!! Was that another bill you had to pay and not give the bums any $$$???) to find where they were. I discovered that the services for medical help, for food, for clothing and for shelter are miles apart. Our public transportation is woefully inadequate and too expensive for people who have nothing. There are soup kitchens in several of the churches, but they are far away from one of the few shelters in the county. There is a shelter for women, (wait, here it comes...) but it comes with strings attached like Bibles and lectures. (OMG!!!!) All the services except for the medical clinics (two of them that service all the poor, not just the homeless), are run by churches. (Bastids!!!) Most of the services specialize in whom they help and turn others away that aren't their specialty.

It struck me how awful it has to be to go begging from those religious folks, (Well why don't YOU help???) who give you a meal and a Bible. They can't offer anything else to help these people, who have to travel miles to get other services they need. It has been miserably cold and wet here even though it's California. Many of these folks camp and sleep on the beach when they aren't chased away. There was a notice that our County government had received $300,000 for the year for the homeless so they were going to meet to decide how they were going to allocate the money. Are they kidding? This is so inadequate to address the problem. They are talking about campgrounds. Really, this is the best the County can come up with? Our government has to do better. This can't go on.

I'm disgusted because I have been socially to many of the residences in my area. These people live in palaces. (Then what are YOU doing there??? Hmmm?) To go to their homes one is unaware that there is a depression going on and thousands of people including children are out in the street. The talk is of the latest restaurant, theater production or art exhibit they have gone to. (Ahhh, she must know CaliforniaPeggy!!!) Charity is about going someplace else like Mexico to do charity work, yet I read that there were enough homeless children in my county to fill one elementary school. This is so disgusting. (So is your post, dingbat.)

Sorry, I just had to rant about this. (That's ok, you probably just made this all up in your widdle head.)
    May the FORCE be with you!

The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post

May the FORCE be with you!

I'd be willing to bet that that 'homeless' couple makes more in year than the clown posting this. 99% of 'homeless' people with signs like that are nothing short of panhandlers making about $200 or more, tax free cash, a day.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    I feel terrible. I read "cold and hungry" and thought, "It was gorgeous today, why were they cold?"

Fabulous Poster
    Handouts are up to $20 now? No wonder they look at me funny if I give them a dollar.

Wife and I saw a homeless woman with a sign that said she was going to Ohio. We were in Dallas.

Some months later we saw that same woman with the same sign still going to Ohio. But that time we were in Houston.

But, still, there are times I give them some money. One time a kid hit me up for a few dollars. He told me a story that could have been true. I gave him a 10. And then he goes running out the door calling to his buddy to "Go ahead! I got 10 dollars"! He seemed so damned overjoyed with my 10 dollar bill that I told the clerk to tell him to go ahead and fill it up on my credit card.

But usually I get ripped off - or feel like I got ripped off, anyway.

And all those people whose "Mama has passed"! They gotta come up with something else!

Then there was my finest moment. Some kid had a company credit card that got turned down after he had already pumped fuel in the pickup. He was embarrassed, and the clerk didn't know what to do, either. She was supposed to get it all taken care of before the fuel was pumped, I'm sure.
    Kid was about 12 dollars short. I'm not very shy, so I hopped up on a milk crate and hollered out to everyone in the store that the kid needed some cash to get his bill paid for, and I started by offering up 5 dollars. In about 1 minute we had enough money to get him taken care of and everyone had a good time doing it. Kid was grateful.
    Wife said I was "magnificent". And I was pretty cool.

And then there is this. I took this picture:

And since you can't read the sign I took a close up:

^^^

Brilliant!
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Our town is pretty good at running off aggressive panhandlers.

I must admit I have had a couple customers trying to purchase cough medication or some other item for themselves, or a sick child, and are short a couple bucks or less and say "I need to run out to my car to see if I have some change in my car" and I just take the money out of my pocket and pay for it. It's a simple kind gesture.

I have even seen customers do it for other customers. These are not the typical "will work for food types" one lady is a regular, I see her often, she went to pay and realized she did not have her debit card, the guy in line behind her, a local restaurant owner, paid for her cough medication, she had a $7 co payment. A little kindness really goes a long way.

I've never had anyone try to take advantage of it, and in fact one guy came back an hour later and gave me the $2 back that I gave him to complete his transaction! I was in total shock!

Most of my customers are not wearing slippers and sleep pants either. I don't work for Wal Mart. I could not afford the pay cut.