Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    OMG Starbuck...I almost spit up my morning coffee when I read that closeup of the truck!!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

My Church started this years ago. No one has to attend Bible classes or get preached to. They will ask if the client would like for us to pray for them but that is it.

DUers sure like to indulge their stereotypes when they are making up their stories.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Wife and I saw a homeless woman with a sign that said she was going to Ohio. We were in Dallas.

Some months later we saw that same woman with the same sign still going to Ohio. But that time we were in Houston.
    Did her sign also refer to her handicapped sense of direction?

There was a couple that used to panhandle near me when I lived in NYC. They had a child, about six or seven, that they kept with them, every day, no matter what time of the year it was. The father was a crackhead and a thug, and the mother was about what you'd expect, but their kid had a shot at a future if they would let her go to school, but they made much more panhandling when she was with them, so they were selling her future for their immediate fix.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I passed the same couple. I stopped to throw rocks at them.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    My Church started this years ago. No one has to attend Bible classes or get preached to. They will ask if the client would like for us to pray for them but that is it.

DUers sure like to indulge their stereotypes when they are making up their stories.

That's some set up!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post

[video=youtube;EAflTcGFTU cGFTUk[/video]
    I think the Salvation Army generated the stereotype.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Did her sign also refer to her handicapped sense of direction?

There was a couple that used to panhandle near me when I lived in NYC. They had a child, about six or seven, that they kept with them, every day, no matter what time of the year it was. The father was a crackhead and a thug, and the mother was about what you'd expect, but their kid had a shot at a future if they would let her go to school, but they made much more panhandling when she was with them, so they were selling her future for their immediate fix.
    A woman on 34th street decided to interrupt my lunch (sitting on the wall outside Ho Lan market) to ask for some money for bus fare. Feeling generous and fortunate that day, I took out my wallet and gave her two dollars (having no idea how much a bus fare actually is at this point). While she thanked me, she also asked if she could have some more money since the bus fare was $17.50. I told her that I had done all that I could do. The truth is that I have said the same thing to a friend. I had a friend who was going downhill and when I thought I could help him I gave him a considerable (for me) amount of cash as well as taking him to rehab. When he made it quite clear that he had no intention of stopping drinking (even though he had supposedly give up drugs) I had to cut him off. It was painful, and he still calls on a rare occasion so I don't answer calls with New York area codes.

When I was in Pittsburgh to attend the Steelers game in December, there were people at random coming up to me while I was walking around downtown and asking for $1.00. I didn't give to any of them because from what my brother, who was with me that day, said; they get the dollar and spend it on smack. You may think you are being nice and giving money to people like that, but you really don't where they are spending it at, or if they are real or not.

Usually when someone around here in Happy Valley asks me for money, I first ask what it is for, and if they say it is for gas or food (which is in most all cases a lie). I offer to take them to store to get the gas, or McD's to have some food. You wouldn't believe how many get upset and deny the offer.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I think the Salvation Army generated the stereotype.
    Sure they did.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

25 years working with the poor in Detroit has taught me this:

1. The rudest people who the poor have to deal with to receive assistance are not church people, they are the welfare office staff. It's amazing how little respect they have for their clients. They get cracked down upon regularly, but honestly, my colleagues in CPS treat their clients with more respect and dignity than the people in the welfare end of the agency.
    2. Most of the clients I have referred for assistance with food and clothing to church agencies take advantage of other services offered by those same programs, especially sending their kids to the same church's Sunday School-even if the parents don't attend the church.

What it comes down to is this-the welfare programs, by nature, are not about forming relationships with the people they are supposed to serve. The people working at a church or religious based agency are going to build relationships with the people they serve, because it's what they are about. All those DUers who want to criticize the Salvation Army or St. Vincent-DePaul Society or whatever religious charity they hate this week are free to take their resources to any poor community and start a secular charity that treats people the way they think they should be treated, but I get the feeling that they are fairly satisfied with the welfare system.