Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Some things about the USPS 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    nadin!!! Postal Expert!!!

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:45 AM
    nadinbrzezinski

Some things about the USPS

Might help connect dots for some.

They are the second largest employer in the US, with the largest unionized workforce

Vets and minorities are a large part of the work force. In fact, African Americans found work at the post office when there was no other employer.

It is one of the few middle class jobs still remaining for people without a college degree.

They service rural areas that are out of reach for both UPS and FedEx. In fact, they carry the burden for those two through last mile delivery. Yes, by contract. Funny shit, at times last mile includes very urbanized downtown urban cities.

Small businesses depend on the USPS. Their rates are reasonable. In fact, Netflix was built around the USPS.

Zero dollars of your tax money go to the postal service. It is funded through the sale of mail services, yet...any mail rate increases, first, second or third, fourth et al, have to be approved by Congress. It might com as a surprise, but getting that authorization is like pulling teeth...never mind higher operational costs due to fuel...did I mention they got one of the largest vehicle fleets in the country? They take turns with Walmart.

UPS has contributing with quite a bit of quid to Daryl Issa's campaign...did I mention he's the Chairman of the committee and he won't let any bill out of committee? Last year the Senate passed such a necessary bill, Issa did not allow it to be heard in committee in the House. This is not a conspiracy, this is reality.

But, but...email....bullshit. If the postal service did not have this poison pill...it would be in the black right fucking now.

Unions good!!! UPS & FedEx...Bad!!!

Some try and correct Parrot Breath but she has sent them to IGNORE!!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

UPS and FEDEX both have contracts with the post office, that is part of what keeps them alive. It is only good for the post office as far as I'm concerned because when they are involved the delivery and tracking becomes very unreliable and erratic, to be expected anytime the government becomes involved.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

UPS is unionized and their rates are fair, their business is thriving, and their employees make a damned good living. Want to know what the difference is? They don't have a government bureaucracy backing them up. But the reason why the USPS is failing is that it isn't handling the volume it used to due to the fact that many people, like myself, rarely mail anything anymore hence we don't have a reason to need stamps. However, the USPS, being the government bureaucracy it is failed to see the forest for the trees and didn't adjust it's hiring. Of course it's all Bush's fault.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    UPS is unionized and their rates are fair, their business is thriving, and their employees make a damned good living. Want to know what the difference is? They don't have a government bureaucracy backing them up. But the reason why the USPS is failing is that it isn't handling the volume it used to due to the fact that many people, like myself, rarely mail anything anymore hence we don't have a reason to need stamps. However, the USPS, being the government bureaucracy it is failed to see the forest for the trees and didn't adjust it's hiring. Of course it's all Bush's fault.

There is a lot of truth behind that although the DUmmies don't want to hear it, it's not an "approved" DUmp position. Bashing companies like UPS is fine.

I used to mail a ton of stuff on a monthly basis but that has changed. I pay the vast majority of our bills online.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I still pay all my bills by mail. It helps me keep better track of my money that way than if I have automatic bill payment.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I still pay all my bills by mail. It helps me keep better track of my money that way than if I have automatic bill payment.
    I pay online but I don't use the automatic option, I manually setup each payment.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    As I understand it, UPS is not universally unionized. I don't believe the Florida operations are unionized. Even in places where the drivers are unionized, there are nonunion workers in handling. I don't know if the runner who rides with the driver during heavy volume is a union worker or not.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    What's really funny is that some creditors who jumped in on online payments then backed off or started charging a "convenience fee". One can only reason that they did this, because online payments were cutting into their late fee scams.

I pay my bills online because I get a little screen that says, "Thank you for your payment of $452.35 on Feb. 4, 2013. Your confirmation number is - d458f9211" When I mail it, I don't get confirmation of payment until the check clears.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    There is a lot of truth behind that although the DUmmies don't want to hear it, it's not an "approved" DUmp position. Bashing companies like UPS is fine.

I used to mail a ton of stuff on a monthly basis but that has changed. I pay the vast majority of our bills online.
    I don't see bashing of UPS and FedEx. It's simply that the law does not require them to deliver to every home. The USPS serves a vital function in that its employees are required to go where no man would seriously consider.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I pay online but I don't use the automatic option, I manually setup each payment.
    I don't either. It seems like writing a blank check. I know that they could probably clean out my account anyway with the existing information they have, but at least I haven't given them permission to take money without my immediate direction.

As a safeguard, I try to pay as many bills as I can with a credit card that I use only for online payments. At least that way it's Chase's money that's being stolen.