http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002875.htmPotato plant poisoning - green tubers and sprouts
Email this page to a friend Share on facebook Share on twitter Bookmark & Share Printer-friendly version
Potato plant poisoning occurs when someone eats the green tubers or new sprouts of the potato plant.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Solanine (very toxic even in small amounts)
The poison is found throughout the plant, but especially in green potatoes and new sprouts. Never eat potatoes that are spoiled or green below the skin. Always throw away the sprouts.
Potatoes that are not green and have had any sprouts removed are safe to eat.
Loss of sensation
Lower than normal body temperature (hypothermia)
Stomach or abdominal pain
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|