Thread: Navy: Lincoln Refueling Delayed, Will Hurt Carrier Readiness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Navy: Lincoln Refueling Delayed, Will Hurt Carrier Readiness 
    The aircraft carriers USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69), USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77), USS Enterprise (CVN-65), USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75), and USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) are in port at Naval Station Norfolk, Va. US Navy Photo

The U.S. Navy will delay the refueling of the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) for an unknown period because of the uncertain fiscal environment due to the ongoing legislative struggle, the service told Congress in a Friday message obtained by USNI News.

Lincoln was scheduled to be moved to Huntington Ingalls Industries’ (HII) Newport News Shipyard later this month to begin the 4-year refueling and complex overhaul (RCOH) of the ship.

“This delay is due to uncertainty in the Fiscal Year 2013 appropriations bill, both in the timing and funding level available for the first full year of the contract,” the message said.
    “CVN-72 will remain at Norfolk Naval Base where the ships force personnel will continue to conduct routine maintenance until sufficient funding is received for the initial execution of the RCOH.”

Rep. J. Randy Forbes (R-Va.) chairman of the House Armed Services Seapower subcommittee released a statement denouncing the need for decision.

Forbes called the delay, “another example of how these reckless and irresponsible defense cuts in Washington will have a long-term impact on the Navy’s ability to perform its missions. Not only will the Lincoln be delayed in returning to the Fleet, but this decision will also affect the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) defueling, the USS George Washington (CVN-73) RCOH, and future carrier readiness.”
    http://news.usni.org/2013/02/08/navy...rier-readiness

If we had not payed 425.00 per gallon in the past this would not be an issue.
    in 2009 the U.S. Navy paid $424.00 per gallon for 20,055 gallons of biodiesel made from algae, which ... signed a contract to buy 450,000 gallons of biofuel – the largest purchase ever by the federal government – to power the U.S. Navy's "green" carrier strike group.
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../2855598/posts
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    What a nuthouse...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    What a nuthouse...
    the issue of the algae diesel came up in the house and Obama's pet republicans let it through, yet all I hear is that we should pay more taxes.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    A freakin "Green" Navy??? What a load of crap.

Over 400 a gallon for algae biobullshit??? Makes you want to crush a Treehugger!!

I love this one, never get tired of watching it.
    May the FORCE be with you!

With all the rush for algae born diesel, and knowing that waste water forms the best algae, I have to wonder just how far off the movie, "Soylent Green" really is? I mean, when you read about algae diesel and find that the rawer the waste the better, could it be that someday we'll just toss Grandma into the glopuda-glopuda machine and set her to work powering destroyers and such?

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    A freakin "Green" Navy??? What a load of crap.

Over 400 a gallon for algae biobullshit??? Makes you want to crush a Treehugger!!

I love this one, never get tired of watching it.
    Dear Hannah! Now, those people are scary!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    With all the rush for algae born diesel, and knowing that waste water forms the best algae, I have to wonder just how far off the movie, "Soylent Green" really is? I mean, when you read about algae diesel and find that the rawer the waste the better, could it be that someday we'll just toss Grandma into the glopuda-glopuda machine and set her to work powering destroyers and such?
    The Lincoln is nookular.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    The Lincoln is nookular.
    I never knew
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

The Lincoln is nookular.
    Ahem Obviously you were either never in the navy yourself, or are unaware that I was. For 9 years, I was in the navy.

Point is, anyone who was in the navy can look at the ship designation letters and know what the ship's function in the fleet is, and whether it is nuclear powered. CVN designates nuclear powered carrier.

And, just as obviously, I was responding to the last paragraph in the post.

Jeez.

The Lincoln is nookular.
    Wasting funds in one part of the Navy would effect it all, Obama may be very intelligent, but he isn't wise.