Thread: Federal employees' union head: Obama pay raise proposal 'simply not enough'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Federal employees' union head: Obama pay raise proposal 'simply not enough' 
    By Justin Sink - 02/09/13 02:12 PM ET

The president of the American Federation of Government Employees says a one-percent increase is "absolutely unconscionable."

The head of the largest federal employee union said Saturday that President Obama's proposal to increase pay for federal employees by 1 percent was "absolutely unconscionable" and "simply not enough."

"It is not enough to allow federal employees to make up lost ground from two-plus years of frozen pay. It is not enough to allow workers, most of whom earn very modest salaries ranging from $24,000 to $70,000, to maintain living standards. And it is not enough to send a message with any kind of clarity that the administration values the federal workforce and doesn't believe it should continue to bear an enormously disproportionate share of deficit reduction," David Cox Sr., the president of the American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE), said in a statement.

The White House told labor leaders of the proposed increase in the 2014 fiscal year budget in a phone call late Friday night. That raise would come on top of the half-point pay hike, scheduled to take effect in late March, which has been delayed as part of the "fiscal cliff" deal struck last month. Federal salaries have been frozen since 2011.
    Read More>http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...sal-not-enough

Mkay bye.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

But, I thought he was the best thing in the world for the Union?

1%? Hahaha ... That much be all the unions are worth to Barry now that he doesn't need them anymore.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

Actually in the Obama economy, they should be happy they have a stable job. I was in sales---my company said that if I wanted more money to go out and sell more. Guess I've lived in that environment for so long that don't have too much sympathy for the feds.

If I were Michele, I'd be worried. When the mighty O is finished with someone who is no longer beneficial, he throws them under the bus.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Actually in the Obama economy, they should be happy they have a stable job. I was in sales---my company said that if I wanted more money to go out and sell more. Guess I've lived in that environment for so long that don't have too much sympathy for the feds.

If I were Michele, I'd be worried. When the mighty O is finished with someone who is no longer beneficial, he throws them under the bus.
    A 20% cut would better reflect what the rest of us are experiencing, taxpayers pay their salaries, it doesn't come out of some magic money well.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    1%? Hahaha ... That much be all the unions are worth to Barry now that he doesn't need them anymore.
    Next year I get a 1% raise after not receiving a raise the entire contract(4 years). Of course my contribution to my own medical benefits is going to climb to $300 a month so the extra $53 a month will not begin to offset that. But I won't complain.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post

After I hit my top wage, I went from a 3% yearly increase, then down to 2.5% and now it's 0%. The cost of doing business is getting too expensive, especially with our current President.

Getting a raise every year was nice while it lasted. I had a chance for a promotion, but that pay scale is about to get gutted also...and we are not sure of the wage!

At this point I am just thankful to have a job with health benefits and zero union dues.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 02-11-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Our pay raises for the last three fiscal years were 1.4%, 1.6% and 1.7%, well below the inflation rate. Sorry, but I just can't get that worked up over our civilian counterparts' gripes. Maybe if they deployed with me the next time I go overseas...
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Our pay raises for the last three fiscal years were 1.4%, 1.6% and 1.7%, well below the inflation rate. Sorry, but I just can't get that worked up over our civilian counterparts' gripes. Maybe if they deployed with me the next time I go overseas...
    Just to clear up any misunderstanding that may occur I am talking about public union salaries, when i say cut back.

A 1% raise is not a raise. It is a slap in the face of hard working people. The unions don't mean jack to me, I was just laughing because of how much they helped obama and this is what he does?

Frankly, I think a Republican President should get in their and cut the union pay by 15%. Then we won't need to spend more on taxes. Which we all know that the Dems will find a way to raise more taxes, like they are doing now.

Their solution to everything is raise more taxes, or print more money. Not one of them has any economical concept, and couldn't care less about where this country ends up. Spend, raise taxes, spend, raise taxes, spend, raise taxes. (Then when you want to keep the lazy welfare bums of this country happy, you have to do something. WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT BY THE WAY!!!!)

And the other day Nancy 'Botox Crazy B*tch' Pelosi said that it is false narrative to claim that the liberals have a spending problem. I Think the woman needs to put the crack pipe down, read 'Atlus Shrugged', and take an economics class because she has got to be one of the most stupid whackos in office.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _