Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    The dude is 85, a lot can happen too you at 85. Just not a good age for a career at one of the most demanding times in history. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, even holding that massive hat up at that age can't be easy.
    His predecessor, Pope John Paul, stayed till the end, even in the late stages of Parkinson's. When you accept the position, you know it's till the end of life.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    If there's anything to suspect, it's the part about how it's not about illness. It's hard not to have some sort of illness at 86. I would not be surprised to find out some time down the road that, like Reagan back in the late '80s, he's beginning to see the signs of senility/Alzheimer's/dementia setting in, and he doesn't want to put himself or the Church in the awkward position of him not having his wits about him while making the kinds of decisions that a Pope has to make.
    Didn't really pay attention?

He is resigning due to age and health.

"In the last few months he has seen a decline in vigour, both of the body and spirit," Lombardi told reporters.
    He's old, not in the best of shape. Always tired and being Pope is demanding. He cant handle it any more.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Let's face it, he's too pooped to pope.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Didn't really pay attention?

He is resigning due to age and health.

He's old, not in the best of shape. Always tired and being Pope is demanding. He cant handle it any more.
    Yeah, but at least this morning, the Vatican was denying that there was a specific illness, just that he was, basically, just old and infirm. I don't know if they have backed off on that specific illness denial since this morning.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

I tried but I can't muster enough "giving a shit" to really care all that much.
    Last edited by Bailey; 02-12-2013 at 02:36 AM.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    But wouldn't it be really cool if they got a pope from Africa? The church is allegedly making great strides there, and the Christians in many African nations (Catholic and Protestant) have suffered greatly for their faith. It could be a statement of understanding of their suffering to pick a leader for the world-wide church from that backround.
    If they allow political correctness to permeate the church then it will solidify the reason why I left the Catholic church.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Ok folks, he was given the "job" at the age of 78...the RCC expects popes to age, wither and die....Not quit. He was old to begin with..he was only going to get older. There is more to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Ok folks, he was given the "job" at the age of 78...the RCC expects popes to age, wither and die....Not quit. He was old to begin with..he was only going to get older. There is more to the story.
    That is true if it was physical but Alzheimer or something mentally debilitating would be a different situation.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, even holding that massive hat up at that age can't be easy.

Sounds like a pain in the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    If they allow political correctness to permeate the church then it will solidify the reason why I left the Catholic church.

It wouldn't be political correctness if the man they select is qualified in every sense, and happens to be from Africa. The church in Africa is far more conservative than the church in North America on social issues, and there has been a great deal of persecution of Catholics and Protestants in some parts of the continent. Appointing an African to the papacy would be an act of solidarity with those who are suffering.

Was it political correctness when they appointed JPII, a Polish pope, who is now credited for helping end Soviet domination of Eastern Europe? When he was appointed, in the end of the 70s, people were shocked that a man from Poland, an iron curtain nation, was now Pope. The church at that time chose a man from a nation in which people were being persecuted for their faith.

I'm not a Catholic and never will be, so ultimately it really doesn't matter to me.