Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Five questions for 'Downton Abbey' finale 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    This is a surprising good series. I never thought I'd like it but...

LINK
    May the FORCE be with you!

WARNING ...

If you go to the link, don't read the comments. There is a spoiler in there.

Rats!
    American By Choice ~ 1980

I knew who was going to die!!!!

Excellent Season III with IV coming!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    I knew who was going to die!!!!

Excellent Season III with IV coming!
    I called it, too. When things are Going Too Well, you know they're going to throw the proverbial kitchen sink at you.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I called it, too. When things are Going Too Well, you know they're going to throw the proverbial kitchen sink at you.
    I heard the actor didn't want to stay another season so...

I called it, too. When things
    Going Too Well, you know they're going to throw the proverbial kitchen sink at you.
    The writing is too obvious. You could tell when he said that they had done their job and produced an heir, the father finally admitted that the SIL's more modern ways were saving their way of life and that the young couple kept talking about how wonderful things are, that it was going to hit.

Now we'll have to wait til next season to see if Mary marries again, the fate of the spinster/about to be mistress sister and whether the ex-chauffeur/BIL will end up with either of the sisters. Does this sound like a high class soap opera?
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

7. #7 Re: Five questions for 'Downton Abbey' finale 
    The entire finale seemed abrupt. The new mais's sudden appearance and departure seemed contrived, as did the accident that's been alluded to. The just doesn't seem to be much character or plotting development compared to earlier seasons.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    I heard the actor didn't want to stay another season so...
    He went to Broadway to star in "The Heiress".
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The entire finale seemed abrupt. The new mai[d]'s sudden appearance and departure seemed contrived, as did the accident that's been alluded to. The just doesn't seem to be much character or plotting development compared to earlier seasons.
    We remarked on that, too. It's like they were working their way down a checklist, and when they got to the bottom, said, "That's done, then!"

He went to Broadway to star in "The Heiress".
    It's a shame. They could have written him out with a posting to the colonies or a business trip to America, without killing off the character (Other shows have gone much further for actors, the most extreme example being when the writers of the Superman radio show invented Kryptonite so that they could write a story arc in which Superman spent two weeks in a closet, moaning, while the actor took a break). The character was the fulcrum of a very subtle conflict on the show, as he was a traditionalist in his moral outlook, but pragmatic in business. He forced the stodgier characters to confront modernity, without being a scold.

We remarked on that, too. It's like they were working their way down a checklist, and when they got to the bottom, said, "That's done, then!"
    It certainly seemed that way. The maid subplot with Branson could have been done much better over time, as it was with his pursuit of Sybil. In fact, it would have reversed his role, making him the out-of-reach member of the family. And, if he acted on it, the family would see him as no longer worthy of Sybil's memory, while not acting on it makes him a lonely, isolated figure. They could have played that over a story arc and really built the suspense. It was a wasted opportunity.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!