Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    They're trying to squeeze another golden egg out of the goose.
    I don't know why they can't follow the model of episode 4, don't appeal to kids and then the kids will come out in droves. Its not rocket science.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

I remember the first movie coming out, because I was about 12 or 13 at the time. It was the coolest movie ever! There was no merchandise, no Happy Meal toys to rush out and collect-the action figures came out after the movie was a hit.

The reason Star Wars was so cool for me and my friends was that it was the first action movie for younger audiences that had a strong female character. Princess Leia is not a Disney Princess. True, the heroes rescued her from the Death Star, but she was willing to die for her principles. She withstood torture.

By the time Empire came out, when I was an older teen, I was still hooked on the movies. But that was when they started really pushing the merchandise to the little kids. I remember babysitting for a kid that had his whole room, from curtains to bedding, decorated with Star Wars stuff. I'll bet these days he's really regretting taking all those action figures and vehicles out of their original boxes, though.

I saw Jedi when I was in college, and I still loved it.

Lucas lost me with Jar Jar Binks, and then with Hayden Christianson's robotic performance as Annakin. There are good things in the newer movies, like Ewan McGregor's awesome imitation of Alec Guiness, Yoda as a warrior, and Palpatine as the deceptive bad guy with a good guy image. But there is no female character as tough or as cool as Leia. Her mother wasn't that tough-why did she die? Because she was sad? That is so lame.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I remember the first movie coming out, because I was about 12 or 13 at the time. It was the coolest movie ever! There was no merchandise, no Happy Meal toys to rush out and collect-the action figures came out after the movie was a hit.

The reason Star Wars was so cool for me and my friends was that it was the first action movie for younger audiences that had a strong female character. Princess Leia is not a Disney Princess. True, the heroes rescued her from the Death Star, but she was willing to die for her principles. She withstood torture.

By the time Empire came out, when I was an older teen, I was still hooked on the movies. But that was when they started really pushing the merchandise to the little kids. I remember babysitting for a kid that had his whole room, from curtains to bedding, decorated with Star Wars stuff. I'll bet these days he's really regretting taking all those action figures and vehicles out of their original boxes, though.

I saw Jedi when I was in college, and I still loved it.

Lucas lost me with Jar Jar Binks, and then with Hayden Christianson's robotic performance as Annakin. There are good things in the newer movies, like Ewan McGregor's awesome imitation of Alec Guiness, Yoda as a warrior, and Palpatine as the deceptive bad guy with a good guy image. But there is no female character as tough or as cool as Leia. Her mother wasn't that tough-why did she die? Because she was sad? That is so lame.
    Lucas was arguably the smartest guy is showbiz in the late 70s. He made a deal that got him all the rights to merchandising. Big wigs were like "who cares".

But his strong suit is not directing actors. As anyone can see from the Prequels.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Lucas pretty much lost all of us with those movies. Return of the Jedi was annoying, but it wasn't a train wreck. The Phantom Menace was atrocious, on almost every possible level, from the interminable pod race (which was lifted, shot for shot, from the chariot race in Ben Hur, but without any of the dramatic tension) to the unrelentingly awful Jar Jar. The plot made no sense (why was a trade federation attacking Naboo? Why did they try to kill the jedis who were sent to broker a peace instead of shining them on? How did a seven-year-old build C3PO and why didn't C3PO remember having been built on Tatooine when he returned there in Star Wars?), the acting varied between very good to very bad, but given the lack of development of the characters, perhaps that was a blessing in disguise. Lucas hasn't made a decent movie since Return of the Jedi, and he hasn't made a good one since Empire Strikes Back.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Lucas pretty much lost all of us with those movies. Return of the Jedi was annoying, but it wasn't a train wreck. The Phantom Menace was atrocious, on almost every possible level, from the interminable pod race (which was lifted, shot for shot, from the chariot race in Ben Hur, but without any of the dramatic tension) to the unrelentingly awful Jar Jar. The plot made no sense (why was a trade federation attacking Naboo? Why did they try to kill the jedis who were sent to broker a peace instead of shining them on? How did a seven-year-old build C3PO and why didn't C3PO remember having been built on Tatooine when he returned there in Star Wars?), the acting varied between very good to very bad, but given the lack of development of the characters, perhaps that was a blessing in disguise. Lucas hasn't made a decent movie since Return of the Jedi, and he hasn't made a good one since Empire Strikes Back.

Watch this 7 parter, its not only funny but informative. This guy said that when Lucas was pushed and forced to listen to others he mad a good movie. (Episode 4) when he had his own way the movies sucked ass.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Hamill can suck Obastards dick and drop fuckin dead

Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    Hamill can suck Obastards dick and drop fuckin dead

Well, Luke wasn't the one who was making us teenaged girls swoon during the original movies. It was always Han Solo, and for some of us chocolate lovers, Lando.