Thread: The 2013 MLB season awaits...
#1 The 2013 MLB season awaits...02-19-2013, 12:27 AM
While we continue to review the 30 Major League Baseball teams one at a time, here is a snap shot of which appear to be the Top 10 teams as they prepare for opening day.
10. Baltimore. Can the Fighting Showalters repeat their magic from 2012? The numbers say no, but baseball teams are often more than the sum of their parts.
9. New York Yankees. How do you spell “Yanks”? O-L-D.
8. St. Louis Cardinals. The Cards are certainly more than the sum of their parts, but injuries and age are catching up with them as well.
7. Texas Rangers. Addition by subtraction rarely works as well as addition by addition.
6. Philadelphia Phillies. If healthy, they are talented.
5. LA Angels of Anaheim. Lots of shiny new expensive, injury-prone parts. Can’t buy chemistry but talent is undeniable.
4. Atlanta Braves. All the Uptons in the world won’t beat the Nats rotation.
3. Detroit Tigers. Class of the AL and in their prime. They owe the Florida Marlins a bouquet of flowers for trading them all their elite talent.
2. Cincinnati Reds. Converting Chapman to a starter will cost them the NL title.
1. Washington Nationals. First in war, First in peace, First in starting pitching and soon to be First in MLB.
Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.
THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA
02-19-2013, 02:49 AM
Uh, I'd throw the Rays in there too! Pitching, pitching, bull pen and a healthy Longoria could be enuf!
: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
” I wondered why the rock was getting larger. Then it hit me.
02-19-2013, 04:42 AM
Hmmm, no Giants in the top ten? They only brought the whole team back from last year...you know, the year when they won the World Series? For the second time in three years?
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf
Liberalism is what the stupid think is smart.
02-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Ed Smith Stadium.
There are tons of visitors descending on Florida for the spring training games. The paper said there are many more coming this year than in previous years. Wish the Cards were headquartered on the west coast of Florida, but too long of a drive to Jupiter on the other coast.
I'm debating on trying for tickets to the Red Sox/Cards game in Ft Myers on March 4th. Their ticket prices are higher. There was a crack in the local paper on how unfriendly the Red Sox are during spring training games. The other teams are more accessible to fans.
" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."
"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"
Crocodiles are easy. They try to kill & eat you. People are harder. Sometimes they pretend to be your friend first.” Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter
02-20-2013, 01:37 AM
I can't argue the Nationals being the best team on paper. They have a good, young, core and they strengthened an already formidable pitching staff by adding Dan Haren. As long as they don't do anything stupid like sit Strasberg like they did last year, they're going to be tough to beat. The Braves I'm not sold on. Pitching is still iffy(strange considering for a decade or more pitching was their strength. The Angels could be a scary team if healthy. I'd hate to be a pitcher and have to face Trumbo, Trout, Hamilton, and Pujols. As for the Yankees, it's the love affair the media has for them is the reasoning why they are still considered a top 10 team. As for my Phillies, they did nothing to improve the team and are relying on an aging, injury prone lineup. Yes their motto for this season is "one more run", until they change their offensive philosophy, the team is setting itself up for failure. The reason why they won a championship in 2008 is because they bashed the hell out of the ball. They still think this is a good offensive thought process. Bloop and a blast. Not gonna happen.The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|