Thread: Heading to Texas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Heading to Texas! 
    I've been too busy getting ready for this to get the word out. The company that runs the prison I work for has several other prisons in Texas, decisions were made here that there are too many issues in this little Arizona town, our family and friends are still in the Midwest, applications were sent in, and one was finally approved. Monday morning is the first day, I'll be on the road this weekend.

Admittedly, the CO job is just to get me down there. The Dallas/Ft. Worth area has stacks of IT jobs listed, a few conversations with some agencies indicate I've got a pretty good shot at getting one of them once I have a TX address. The wife and kids are are going to finish out the school year here in AZ, by which time I should have one of those better paying, more intellectually stimulating jobs. Taking a pay cut for the move, which is really going to suck, but the long term benefits should be well worth it.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Good for you, and wishing you all the best.....
    http://allenbwest.com/
    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg
    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Good for you, and wishing you all the best.....
    Ditto what Marv wrote! Enjoy!

You really should love it there. Most folks we knew, plus our neighbors, were from out of state as were we. Of all the states in which we have lived, Texas was the friendliest to newcomers. Even bought Mr. ABC and I "Naturalised Texan" tee shirts.

It gets beastly hot in the summer in the late afternoon as I remember (lived in Plano) and needed to water outdoor plants in pots twice a day.

(One day when temps were over a hundred several days in a row guy on radio said to try frying an egg outdoors ... which just for laughs I did in an iron frypan. Guess what? It cooked!)

Also, the spring time is the time to watch out for tornadoes.

Other than that, you will love it there. If things continue on this downhill spiral in regard to our freedoms because of this administration, I told son and daughter-in-law to look out ... we will be heading back there to live for sure!

Poor things!
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    I've been too busy getting ready for this to get the word out. The company that runs the prison I work for has several other prisons in Texas, decisions were made here that there are too many issues in this little Arizona town, our family and friends are still in the Midwest, applications were sent in, and one was finally approved. Monday morning is the first day, I'll be on the road this weekend.

Admittedly, the CO job is just to get me down there. The Dallas/Ft. Worth area has stacks of IT jobs listed, a few conversations with some agencies indicate I've got a pretty good shot at getting one of them once I have a TX address. The wife and kids are are going to finish out the school year here in AZ, by which time I should have one of those better paying, more intellectually stimulating jobs. Taking a pay cut for the move, which is really going to suck, but the long term benefits should be well worth it.
    We rented out the house that we had near FT Hood (Temple, TX), and I'd love to move back there someday. The summer heat is definitely an issue, but it's great country, and the people are super nice. The only downside to Texas that I found was that central TX has one of the most potent allergens I've ever encountered, a mountain cedar that makes everybody miserable for their first couple of years. If you acclimate to it, you'll be fine, but if not, it's like an annual flu attack.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Forgot to mention one more thing Enslaved one,

I also loved the billboards, bumper-stickers, and tee shirts that said ...

"Don't Mess With Texas!"

Great line, as well as a warning!

How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Wow!

Even the Clampetts are headed for Texas?

Good luck dude.
    Be Not Afraid.

Good luck. I lived in San Antonio for 7 years and loved Texas. It sounds like you're making the right move.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Good luck. I hate moving myself.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy