Thread: Free Speech?

1. #1 Free Speech? 
    With the multitude of problem we face I'm so glad the cops in Columbia, SC have their priorities straight. We can't let this go. Anarchy will reign.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,365461,00.html
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Fort Mill Principal Dee Christopher says school officials don't ask that offenders be arrested but that he plans to keep a police presence at future graduation ceremonies.
    What do you think a "police presence" means?

I don't think this is really a free speech issue. Graduations have gotten increasingly loud and rough over the past 15 years in a lot of places. These events are timed and if loud cheering holds up the announcement of the next kid's name, it drags the whole thing way over time. Then too, the raucous cheering is only for some people, not all people and it probably underscores a lot of soon-to-be useless high school popularity wars.

Quiet graduations may be boring but they over much, much sooner.

noonwitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    I don't think this is really a free speech issue. Graduations have gotten increasingly loud and rough over the past 15 years in a lot of places. These events are timed and if loud cheering holds up the announcement of the next kid's name, it drags the whole thing way over time. Then too, the raucous cheering is only for some people, not all people and it probably underscores a lot of soon-to-be useless high school popularity wars.

Quiet graduations may be boring but they over much, much sooner.

My high school class had 7 validictorians and one salutatorian. All 7 had 4.0 gpas, and all 7 got to give speeches. They had a time limit, but it still went on forever, considering there were 420+ students in the class and with that many people- faculty, family, the band, and so on, the a/c wasn't working real great, either.

Disorderly conduct tends to be one of those vague terms that is often times more an excuse for the Police to take action when they don't really have a real crime statute to pin on someone.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My high school class had 7 validictorians and one salutatorian. All 7 had 4.0 gpas, and all 7 got to give speeches. They had a time limit, but it still went on forever
    Count your blessings. At my school, most of them were done in Latin.

And to think that I considered relocating to Columbia, SC after graduating college.