1. #1 List Of America's Most Miserable Cities 

Detroit Tops 2013 List Of America's Most Miserable Cities

Forbes put Detroit Mayor Dave Bing on its cover in 2011 for a story with the optimistic headline: “City of Hope.” The premise was that the city had hit rock bottom and was poised for a turnaround. >>>

Two years later, Detroit’s problems continue to multiply, sadly. It is still dealing with high levels of violent crime and unemployment. Home prices, already at historic lows, plummeted a further 35% during the past three years >>>

The latest blow was Tuesday’s announcement that the city is on the verge of being taken over by the state. Detroit is in a financial emergency and cannot pay its bills. The city has been issuing debt to fund day-to-day operations. >>>

The problems of No. 2-ranked Flint, Mich. mirror those of Detroit. >>> Flint beat Detroit to the punch when it came to surrendering to the state over its finances. Michigan Governor Rick Snyder appointed an emergency manager at the end of 2011 to run the cash-strapped city. The manager is still in place.

Two cities on our list, Chicago (No. 4) and New York (No. 10) may surprise readers, though they’ve been here before. >>>

#1 Detroit, Mich.
    #2 Flint, Mich.
    #3 Rockford, Ill.
    #4 Chicago, Ill.
    #5 Modesto, Calif.
    #6 Vallejo, Calif.
    #7 Warren, Mich.
    #8 Stockton, Calif.
    #9 Lake County, Ill.
    #10 New York, N.Y.
    #11 Toledo, Ohio
    #12 St. Louis, Mo.
    #13 Camden, N.J.
    #14 Milwaukee, Wisc.
    #15 Atlantic City, NJ
    #16 Atlanta, Ga.
    #17 Cleveland, Ohio
    #18 Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
    #19 Gary, Ind.
    #20 Youngstown, OH

Forbes.com

Anybody notice who's been running these cities for most of the last 2, 3 or 4 decades?
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Power CUer
    Stockton was ground zero for the mortgage meltdown. Many homes were abandoned and crime skyrocketed. I don't think Stockton would have made that list 10 years ago.

I visited Detroit about 15 years ago and enjoyed it. It was a business trip.

High unemployment kills cities.

I live in Warren, #7. We have a republican mayor now, and he's in his second term. The 2 term mayor before him was also a republican.

I like Fouts, the current mayor. He's smart and funny. He's not a social conservative, though, just a fiscal one.

Michigan's problems (since 3 of the top ten cities are here) go beyond simply politics. The problems with the auto industry are issues that go back to the end of WWII. The race relations problems go back before the Civil War.

Amusing, all those cities (with the exception of Atlanta) are either northern or west coast cities...

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I'll stick with small towns and rural areas.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    What is/are the common denominators of those cities?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    They're broke.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post

They were all cities whose economies were based on manufacturing American made products.

Although, Lake County IL-I always thought that was were the wealthy Chicago suburbs were located. Lake County, Michigan, is the poorest county in Michigan, however. It's a rural county located about half-way between Grand Rapids and Traverse City. It once was the major stop between the two, until they build the expressway (US 131) 20 miles east of it. There was once a lumber industry in that area, but with most of the furniture manufacturers in Grand Rapids gone, there's not even that.