1. #1 Governor: 6 tanks leaking radioactive waste at Washington nuclear site 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

By Greg Botelho, CNN
    updated 9:36 PM EST, Fri February 22, 2013

(CNN) -- Six tanks at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation in southeast Washington state are leaking radioactive waste, the governor said Friday, calling the news "disturbing" even as he insisted there are "no immediate health risks."

"News of six leaking tanks at Hanford raises serious questions about integrity of all single tanks," Gov. Jay Inslee said Friday afternoon on Twitter.

Inslee said that he got the latest information about the site during a meeting in Washington with U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu.

One week earliar Chu called the governor to tell him that a single-shell tank in the same location was leaking liquids at a rate of 150 to 300 gallons per year. Believed to be the first to lose liquids since 2005, that tank was built in the 1940s and can hold roughly 447,000 gallons of sludge, according to the governor's office.

What's a little waste???
    May the FORCE be with you!

The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Because of problems like this and the earthquakes, Japan is shifting to Liquified Natural Gas for electrical generation. And they paid an average of 15$ per Million BTU for it, since they don't have any. In the U.S. LNG will go for around 3$ per Million BTU.

It really looks to me that the nuclear power industry is doomed. Killed by politicians more than anything else.
    http://www.ferc.gov/market-oversight...wld-pr-est.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Because of problems like this and the earthquakes, Japan is shifting to Liquified Natural Gas for electrical generation. And they paid an average of 15$ per Million BTU for it, since they don't have any. In the U.S. LNG will go for around 3$ per Million BTU.

It really looks to me that the nuclear power industry is doomed. Killed by politicians more than anything else.
    http://www.ferc.gov/market-oversight...wld-pr-est.pdf
    We have a lot of nuclear plants around the Great Lakes, including the Fermi plant in Monroe, 30 miles south of Detroit. I don't see DTE closing any of them any time soon-they closed the one in Charlevoix a while ago, but that was one of the older plants and was outdated.

We don't have a lot of the risk factors that Washington or CA have, because we don't have a major fault line running underneath our states. Plus, we have the lakes, and pretty much all the plants I know of are located on the shores of one of the lakes, which gives them pretty much unlimited access to water for cooling.

Other than that mishap in the 60s at the experimental Fermi 2 plant (long gone), nuclear power has a pretty good record here. The Fermi 2 plant was trying to use nuclear fusion as opposed to nuclear fission, but my science knowledge is not extensive enough to understand nor explain the difference between them. The teacher who explained that to us is also the one who forced girls to give him neckrubs in class, so I was usually in self-defense mode for that hour.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    We have a lot of nuclear plants around the Great Lakes, including the Fermi plant in Monroe, 30 miles south of Detroit. I don't see DTE closing any of them any time soon-.......
    Yeah, when I said that nuclear power is doomed, I meant that it would not expand. I'm a proponent of nuclear power and wish things were different. One of my favorite projects is the hot tub sized reactor plant designed to bury and forget, which would power fairly large cities.
    But I think the industry has been ruined by hysteria and over regulation.