Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 If you are the member of a privileged group AND call yourself progressive 

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 07:10 PM

Matariki (14,612 posts)

If you are the member of a privileged group AND call yourself progressive

Please have the courtesy of listening, and really trying to hear, what folks who aren't part of your privileged group have to say about their experience with attitudes and discrimination in our society.

Please DON'T call them 'thin skinned', 'unable to take a joke', 'overly sensitive', etc, etc - and expect to be considered a progressive member of this community.

Acknowledge that if you haven't had to experience the bigotry or social disadvantages that the person speaking has - that you are really in no position to tell them that they're 'overreacting' and so forth. Worse, that by doing so you're actually helping to maintain those injustices and your own personal privileged over other people's.

Please think about that the next time you're being dismissive to folks on DU who try to explain why a certain word isn't acceptable, why a certain joke isn't funny, why a certain attitude is hurtful. Please stop telling the targets of those words, jokes, and attitudes to just shut the fuck up.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022432447

And the white guilt fever epidemic rages on with no signs of slowing down!
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Fabulous Poster
    Ah yes- the "if you aren't one then you may have no opinion" technique.

If a person doesn't know what he's talking about, then he should be challenged on his positions. But the debate technique of trying to shut down discussion is pervasive and intolerable.

Riding hand in hand with this is to dismiss all opinions of white males either by categorizing them as an irrational fear of change or simple blind prejudice. If someone is wrong, tell him how he is wrong. Don't think that "Oh yes, all change is bad!" is an argument.

Honestly, these days so much of what passes for discussion or wit is actually dismissal and sarcasm. The near twin of that is the elementary school teacher technique of declaring the person who has been wronged as being disruptive rather than deal with the politics of making a decision.

being a white male those at DU think i am from the "privileged" class. I sure wish I could cash in on that.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

But what if they are "thin skinned", "overly sensitive" and "can't take a joke"? How am I suppose to react? Would it be OK if I told them to relax and get a job?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    being a white male those at DU think i am from the "privileged" class. I sure wish I could cash in on that.
    Dude, as I've stated before: I went to a dinner once with the DU Detroit chapter, and none of them were black. The Detroit chapter.

I also was the only one with a career, and one of two who worked for a living.

Just like the Republican Party, the progressive movement is mostly ran by white, middle class people who often don't have a clue when they try to speak for all of a particular group (all women, Christians, poor people, etc). The progressive movement would benefit from having more diversity. The Republican Party would too, but I don't care about their progress.

7. #7 Diversity is a false construct used to divide and conquer different groups of people 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Just like the Republican Party, the progressive movement is mostly ran by white, middle class people who often don't have a clue when they try to speak for all of a particular group (all women, Christians, poor people, etc). The progressive movement would benefit from having more diversity. The Republican Party would too, but I don't care about their progress.

When you look at what people do and how they live their lives instead of their paint jobs and heritage then diversity becomes irrelevant. It is the province of the perpetually outraged race-baiters that see only color and universal injustice. Every human being knows how they would like to be treated. Treat other people as you would like to be treated and color no longer matters. That is also why a moral center and a strong work ethic in a person does matter. It really is that simple. People respect other people that try their best to be self sufficient.

The diversity crowd sews envy and hatred because it's easier for people to blame others for their lot in life than to accept responsibility for their own actions, good or bad. It's a con game that shit starters have been proffiting from since people first walked the earth. Start a war between people then swoop in and take control in the ensuing chaos. It is the ultimate control mechanism of the modern statist.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

so you are saying I can't speak anything but being a white middle aged man? How very elitist of you. Diversity is bullshit, treat everyone fairly and stop the govt handouts.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Wrong. The progressive movement is run by affluent white people who seek to use race, gender and class to control other people. A progressive's idea of diversity is a room full of progressives who differ in superficial characteristics, such as skin pigmentation, genital configuration, religious trappings (as opposed to actual religious convictions, which must be subordinated to progressive ideology, unless it's Islam, in which case the alliance trumps the ideology) or any neurosis, psychosis or other form of difference that can be categorized as a claim of victimization, but are in ideological lockstep with each other and the leadership. It's skin-deep diversity. No mental diversity is allowed. That's why if someone from any of the aforementioned groups deviates ideologically, the progressives react the way that plantation owners reacted to Django, and for the same reason, their ownership is being challenged. Republicans don't seek to own anyone. Most of us just want our government to leave us alone so that we can enjoy the blessings of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim54 View Post
    When you look at what people do and how they live their lives instead of their paint jobs and heritage then diversity becomes irrelevant. It is the province of the perpetually outraged race-baiters that see only color and universal injustice. Every human being knows how they would like to be treated. Treat other people as you would like to be treated and color no longer matters. That is also why a moral center and a strong work ethic in a person does matter. It really is that simple. People respect other people that try their best to be self sufficient.

The diversity crowd sews envy and hatred because it's easier for people to blame others for their lot in life than to accept responsibility for their own actions, good or bad. It's a con game that shit starters have been proffiting from since people first walked the earth. Start a war between people then swoop in and take control in the ensuing chaos. It is the ultimate control mechanism of the modern statist.
    QFT. The modern diversity cult is a gimmick, but unlike previous tribal alliances, which sought physically homogenous membership, modern tribalists seek mentally homogenous membership. It's a rainbow of lemmings.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim54 View Post

I wish the world was that simple. Seriously, I have day dreams of the world being that simple. Thing is people don't do the right thing.

Also, people of different backgrounds often see things that others don't, so it's important that they bring what they see to the table. BTW, I notice differences with the Republicans who aren't white and Protestant. I tend to see differences in their politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    so you are saying I can't speak anything but being a white middle aged man? How very elitist of you. Diversity is bullshit, treat everyone fairly and stop the govt handouts.
    I think you found words that weren't in my post.