Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Timed Out
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    We have a right to our privacy, surprisingly the tone of the left have changed since Bush wanted to listen to suspect international calls during the height of the war on terror, you were all about privacy then, you sniveling little hypocrite.
    I wasn't hiding anything from Bush and would have actually enjoyed farting in his face...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    I wasn't hiding anything from Bush and would have actually enjoyed farting in his face...
    You enjoy getting kicked in the ass? We got another member around here you should get acquainted with....
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    I don't worry about this sort of thing.

In fact, I would like to be able to tell if someone walking through the desert in the middle of the night was carrying a rifle or not.
    Tracking cell phones? Track mine. I don't care.

But some guy named Ahmed, who is carrying an AK 47 while walking North from Nogales? I'm in favor of being able to follow him without him knowing it.

And is the country going to get so backward that it takes such an interest in me loading up my car to go hunting, or in the act of hunting that it feels compelled to take me out with a missile? No.

On the other hand, Homeland Security itself was a bad idea. That job should have gone to Border Patrol.
    I am not saying or doing anything illegal so I am not really worried about it....
    That's all fine and dandy until your concepts of "legal" and "illegal" get turned on their heads by some legislature or Congress. Then you're in a real pickle if you're doing the same thing that you did yesterday that was legal, but today is deemed illegal.

I go out of my way not to be a tin-foiler. I don't really have a problem with, say, traffic cameras that aren't there to do anything but show when a wreck happens on the interstate or whatever. I don't have a problem with drones wasting terrorists, even terrorists who are American citizens, on foreign soil who are engaging in attacking this country or plotting same. But I have a problem with drones (or hot air balloons, or helicopters, or really tall poles) with cameras on them for the purpose of determining if I'm handling a gun with a large-capacity magazine in my own back yard or if I'm reading some sort of "forbidden" literature. That's a pretty short step away from a vidiscreen in my living room to watch me as I watch the Two Minutes Hate. If some policeman came along and insisted that he has the right to stand in your living room and watch all of your movements and listen to all of your conversations every minute of every day, you (either of you) would call it police harassment in no time whatsoever. Having the police peering into your life through a camera is no different.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

I am not saying or doing anything illegal so I am not really worried about it....
    Nothing illegal? You don't jaywalk? Drink a 20 ounce Coke once in a while? Smoke within 50 feet of a government building? Bought an incandescent bulb?

With the absurd proliferation of new laws, you can be charged with just about anything today.

>snip<
    Homeland Security's specifications for its drones, built by San Diego-based General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, say they "shall be capable of identifying a standing human being at night as likely armed or not," meaning carrying a shotgun or rifle. They also specify "signals interception" technology that can capture communications in the frequency ranges used by mobile phones, and "direction finding" technology that can identify the locations of mobile devices or two-way radios.

Unless you are up to no good what freedom have you lost?
    I made the same argument when the Patriot Act was passed, and that only codified existing law and applied it to counter terrorism operations. The issue here is not the tech, which is going to be built regardless, but the constraints on its use. Will the feds get warrants before looking into our homes to see if we own weapons? Will our domestic cell calls be monitored? I may not be doing anything illegal, but I still value my privacy, and quite frankly, there are a number of things that we all do that are none of the government's business. What it comes down to is do you trust a government that does not abide by its Constitutional limits in every other sphere of its operations to abide by them here?

Remember that any power that you give to a political party that you like will inevitably end up in the hands of a political party that you don't like, unless you eliminate the opposition, in which case the ruling party will have all the power that it wants, and you'll have none.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!