1. #1 Butchering is hard work 
    I have been taking my critters to a custom meat processor but it is getting to expensive.
    I thought since I butcher deer the goats couldn't be much harder, the goats are harder to skin for sure but the rest isn't bad.
    I usually butcher at least 5 deer sometime seven 7 or more, I have friends that hunt but aren't much for cooking game so I get their meat.
    I need a bigger kitchen with stainless steel walls and benches and saws and a walk in freezers and a cryovac packager and a kid to help etc.......
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

If I just lived a little closer I'd grab my cleaver and join in. But the 500 mile drive sorta overrides it all.

I've been meaning to ask. I had a friend over near Owasso back in'93-94 that raised what, for a better term, were dwarf angora goats. He was mostly dealing in breeding stock, buying and selling rather than ranching. So... What variety do you run?
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    If I just lived a little closer I'd grab my cleaver and join in. But the 500 mile drive sorta overrides it all.

I've been meaning to ask. I had a friend over near Owasso back in'93-94 that raised what, for a better term, were dwarf angora goats. He was mostly dealing in breeding stock, buying and selling rather than ranching. So... What variety do you run?
    Boer and Nubians, I am deliberately crossing them because the Boers were not good mothers although they gave more meat, the one I butchered today was a cross but he dressed nicely.
    I don't care for dwarf breeds, they are too much like rabbits, I raise for milk and meat and like a nice large animal.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

That is a very tasty goat, I ground the entire thing this time because I was out of hamburger meat.
    We made nachos tonight and it was delicious, very mild flavored meat about 90% lean, just enough fat to fry nice.

Ahhhhhh!! Cabrito!!
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Do you beat your meat?

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Do you beat your meat?
    Much to tender to require such drastic treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Much to tender to require such drastic treatment.
    Keeps you from getting tennis elbow.

I remember going to the butcher shop as a kid and seeing the butcher hand beating cube steaks.

1. Your ideal kitchen sounds like it could double as the set of the next slasher film.
    2. You could probably make a lot of money designing sets for slasher films.