1. #1 Two US embassy personnel shot in Venezuela 
    (AFP) – 1 hour ago

CARACAS — Two employees of the US embassy in Venezuela were shot and wounded early Tuesday in the capital Caracas, in a murky incident that local media and a police source said took place at a strip club.

"We can confirm that two members of the US embassy in Caracas were injured during an incident early this morning," State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell told reporters in Washington.

"Medical staff inform us that their injuries are not life-threatening," he added, noting that they were hurt at "some sort of a social spot" but without specifying the venue or nature of their injuries.

US diplomatic sources later confirmed to AFP that the two men were shot.

The Venezuelan media identified the two men as Roberto Ezequiel Rosas and Paul Marwin, and said they were military attaches at the embassy, but neither the State Department nor the embassy in Caracas would confirm those reports.

"My understanding is that they are other agency personnel, not from the State Department," Ventrell said.

Venezuelan television channel Globovision reported on its website that the incident took place at the Antonella bar located in a shopping center in the Chacao district of Caracas, after an altercation with other bar patrons.
    Read More>http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...0650ffe7b82.b1
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

American strip clubs are bad enough, I can just imagine how dangerous they are in third world countries!

Seriously, strip clubs in Detroit can be dangerous places, both for shootings and for serial killers to troll for victims among the strippers, who are frequently also employed as prostitutes on their "breaks".

Then there's the one out by metro airport (called The Landing Strip) that is well-known for hiring underage girls to work there and providing them with fake id cards.

This could have been anything from a fight in the club to a targeted assault. Americans are not popular in Venezuela and I'm surprised that we are maintaining a full embassy there in view of the regime's open hostility.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    ... I'm surprised that we are maintaining a full embassy there in view of the regime's open hostility.
    Why? Our OWN leadership has open hostility towards America too...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    This could have been anything from a fight in the club to a targeted assault. Americans are not popular in Venezuela and I'm surprised that we are maintaining a full embassy there in view of the regime's open hostility.
    I'm surprised that strip clubs, whorehouses, bars, and anything seedy isn't off limits to US military or diplomatic personnel. The embarrassment potential is bad enough, but we also don't need kidnapped personnel drawing time and resources from our staff overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Why? Our OWN leadership has open hostility towards America too...
    Yes, but the Venezuelans aren't as obvious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I'm surprised that strip clubs, whorehouses, bars, and anything seedy isn't off limits to US military or diplomatic personnel. The embarrassment potential is bad enough, but we also don't need kidnapped personnel drawing time and resources from our staff overseas.
    Whorehouses are off limits, as they are considered human trafficking, even if prostitution is legal within the country. Strip clubs and bars are left up to the discretion of the local commander, and are usually handled on a case by case basis, depending on the risk to the US troops, the risk to the military as a whole (for the reasons that you cited) and any other factors that the commander considers valid. During the Vietnam War, when a waitress in a local pizzeria refused to serve some Soldiers, the unit commander took it up with the proprieter, who refused to speak to the girl, saying that she had a right to her opinion. The commander responded that if they felt that strongly about it, then he would declare the place off-limits to all military personnel and that way the waitress wouldn't have to be subjected to the company of people that she found objectionable. The waitress apologized the next day.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!