1. #1 Bureaucrats shuffle paper as dying Marine grows weaker... 
    http://washingtonexaminer.com/watchd...rticle/2524119
    (snip)

A Marine veteran dying of cancer is stuck in limbo as the Department of Veterans Affairs mulls his claim for disability benefits, even though his condition is recognized by law as connected to his service.

(snip)

The rhetoric,
    (snip)

“Keeping faith with those who serve must always be a core American value and a
    cornerstone of American patriotism. Because America’s commitment to its servicemen and women begins at enlistment, and it must never end.”

[Obama Speech in Kansas City, MO, 8/21/07]

(snip)

As a member of the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, Barack Obama has fought to end benefit disparities, bring homeless veterans in off the streets, strengthen mental health care, add billions of dollars in additional Department of Veterans Affairs funding, and reform a system that often places barriers between veterans and the benefits they have earned.

As president, Obama will ensure we honor the sacred trust to care for our nation’s veterans. In an Obama administration, the VA will provide benefits and care that will be accessible, high-quality, reliable, responsive and fair, year after year. He will care for our wounded soldiers; improve the transition to civilian life; fully fund VA medical care; improve the quality of VA health care; fix the Veterans Benefits Administration; honor veterans with the benefits and services they have earned, and rebuild and repair the military. Not only is this the right thing to do – it is a necessary investment for a great nation to maintain an all volunteer force.

(snip)

IMPROVE VA MEDICAL CARE
    Make VA a Leading Edge of National Health Reform: Barack Obama’s comprehensive
    national health care plan will modernize health care delivery. That includes disease
    management, preventive treatment, coordinated care teams, better use of information
    technology, and research into which treatments work best. As the nation’s largest integrated health system, the Veterans Health Administration has already been a national leader in reform, particularly with electronic health records and prevention initiatives. Obama will continue this trend to make the VA a leader of national health care reform so that veterans get the best care possible. This includes efforts to improve electronic records interoperability, expand effectiveness research, promote wellness programs, and instill more accountability for performance and quality improvement initiatives.

(snip)
    The reality,
    (snip)

The ranks of veterans waiting more than a year for their benefits grew from 11,000 in 2009, the first year of Obama’s presidency, to 245,000 in December—an increase of more than 2,000 percent.

(snip)

“I’m not going to be an apologist for the president or for the VA,” [Rep. Mike] Thompson (D-CA) said, “but this was a long festering mess when they came in. I think they have made improvements.”

The VA’s internal documents tell a different story. They show that the average wait time for veterans filing disability claims fell by more than a third under President George W. Bush, even as more than 320,000 Iraq and Afghanistan veterans filed disability claims.

The documents show delays escalated only after Obama took office and have more than doubled since, as 455,000 more returning veterans filed their claims.

(snip)

At a majority of the regional offices—including those in New York; Chicago; Los Angeles; Waco, Texas; and Oakland, California—the VA employs fewer people than it did two years ago, according to the VA’s internal documents.

(snip)
    Last edited by marv; 03-13-2013 at 10:46 AM.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

These words alone, should have been enough warning to us. Lies even before he was elected.

Keeping faith with those who serve must always be a core American value and a
    cornerstone of American patriotism. Because America’s commitment to its servicemen and women begins at enlistment, and it must never end.”
    [Obama Speech in Kansas City, MO, 8/21/07]
    However ...

"Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord."

~ Romans 12:19 (King James Version)
    American By Choice ~ 1980

B-b-b-b-but wasn't Obamacare supposed to guarantee that this kind of thing wouldn't happen? Or did the VA get one of those Obamacare waivers, like all of those unions and corporate cronies did?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

To add to your but, buts ... Ody

What about the "corpse men" with which he earlier claimed to be so enamored?

Oh well ... perhaps building a bigger bus for all to be thrown under, will at least provide some more union jobs for his beloved cronies!
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    B-b-b-b-but wasn't Obamacare supposed to guarantee that this kind of thing wouldn't happen? Or did the VA get one of those Obamacare waivers, like all of those unions and corporate cronies did?
    Nah the only reason this Marine's status is still in limbo is because a) Obama hasn't decided which pill to give him to ease his pain until he kicks and b) the death panels haven't been fully staffed yet and until then a decision can't be made.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If the VA is anything like the bureaucracy that employs me, the first line worker probably has to complete 5 different forms, each of which say essentially the same thing but meet some specific legal criteria that the department was once cited by auditors for not meeting in the past.

I know it's not funny when a guy is dying, but it's also not funny when it involves children in the foster care system. It's ridiculous, and it only gets worse as time goes on. I've never heard a new director say "I'm going to reduce the number of forms that you are required to complete". It's always more like "I'm going to hire more people so that there will be more help in completing the 100 new forms I'm going to require you to complete on each case, in addition to the 500 forms you already are completing."

And then, copy it all in triplicate (at least) and distribute the copies to the appropriate administrators or their designees.

I can see where people die without assistance in that type of bureaucratic nightmare. It's not just liberals who do this, either. It's the way government in general operates.