Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Repressive oligarchy to place 10,000 civilian drones from 15,000 feet? 
    DARPA's 1.8 Gigapixel Drone Camera Could See You Waving At It From 15,000 Feet ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGxNyaXfJsA

FAA moves closer to widespread US drone flights with plan for test sites

A future in which unmanned drones are as common in U.S. skies as helicopters and airliners has moved a step closer to reality with a government request for proposals to create six drone test sites around the country.

>>>

The FAA plans to begin integrating drones starting with small aircraft weighing less than about 55 pounds. The agency forecasts an estimated 10,000 civilian drones will be in use in the U.S. within five years.

>>>

Montgomery County, Texas, has a 50-pound ShadowHawk helicopter drone intended to supplement its SWAT team.

The sheriff's department hasn't armed its drone, although the ShadowHawk can be equipped with a 40 mm grenade launcher and a 12-guage shotgun. The prospect of armed drones patrolling U.S. skies has alarmed some lawmakers and their constituents. More than a dozen bills have been introduced in Congress and state legislatures to curb drone use and protect privacy.

AssociatedDepress

One thing to note is that a drone can just hang out at 15,000 feet over a small city-sized area (roughly, half of Manhattan) and provide video surveillance of the whole thing. The other thing to note is that they are running machine vision on the moving objects, which means they are generating structured data out of the video, not just displaying the pictures.

Imagine some branch of government or a corporation (maybe not Google, but maybe Google) set one of these guys up over an American city. They say that Big Data analysis has told them that criminals (or consumers) display certain types of behavior that can be spotted at that distance, helping them deploy police (or marketing promotions) on the ground more effectively. And the rest of the city's citizens? Well, they're collateral data.

Maybe far-fetched for the United States, but imagine this technology widely deployed in a country with a more repressive government.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Federal authorities step up efforts to license surveillance aircraft for law enforcement and other uses, amid growing privacy concerns.

We have an Administration that is persistently trying to shred the Constitution. And consistently tells Congress to take a hike. As it does the Courts. While appointing as many radical law breaking leftists to positions of power as it can with no vetting whatsoever. Meanwhile Mr 57 States goes national with a new Community Organizing franchise ... just as hes moving 'forward' to disarm as many Americans as he can. Sounds like a GREAT time to put as many armed err... I mean unarmed drones into American air space as possible doesnt it?

Obama Prepares to Community-Organize America - In his latest unprecedented move in American history, President Obama announced he is converting his campaign apparatus into a permanent in-your-face campaign aimed at furthering Obama’s divisive, radical politics.

President Unleashes a Nationwide 'Community Organizing' Campaign

Well, one thing I am fairly sure of is that the Detroit Police do not have the money in their budget for drones.

The governor is supposed to decide this week whether the state will take over the city's finances.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Well, one thing I am fairly sure of is that the Detroit Police do not have the money in their budget for drones.

The governor is supposed to decide this week whether the state will take over the city's finances.
    Homeland Security will give the city a grant for them. TPTB want this kind of surveillance--the eye in the sky trying to read your mind.

Video at link

Like a Swarm of Lethal Bugs: The Most Terrifying Drone Video Yet

An Air Force simulation says researchers are at work on killer robots so tiny that a group of them could blend into a cityscape.

Science writer John Horgan's feature on the many ways drones will be used in coming years is interesting throughout, and terrifying in the passage where he describes an effort to build micro-drones that are, as the U.S. Air Force describes them, "Unobtrusive, pervasive, and lethal."

Air Force officials declined a request to observe flight tests at a "micro-aviary" they've built, he reported, but they did let him see a video dramatization "starring micro-UAVs that resemble winged, multi-legged bugs. The drones swarm through alleys, crawl across windowsills, and perch on power lines. One of them sneaks up on a scowling man holding a gun and shoots him in the head."

Here's that video (click "hide ad" to play):

When I watch that simulation I am horrified. I also think to myself, this technology is more likely to diminish American security than to enhance it. In a world without micro-drones, our military remains overwhelmingly powerful. But what about a world where micro-drones are pervasive?

More@TheAtlantic.com

So it appears, that the battle field of the future is American cities. Watch the video while its still available.

Power CUer
    Add that to all the bullets DHS is buying....

They are taking all we have and then making sure we can't fight back

Not all. Theyve just bought up all the hollow points they could get the anti-american hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Homeland Security will give the city a grant for them. TPTB want this kind of surveillance--the eye in the sky trying to read your mind.
    Nobody is giving Detroit any money this week, at least not until the Governor makes up his mind about an emergency financial manager for the city.

The drones could be useful, though. That idiot Malik whatshisname from the New Black Panther party has threatened to burn the city down before letting the state take over the finances....the drone could possibly pick up the fire when it's first set and a tragedy could be prevented. I think Malik is dead serious about this. He actually justified the gang fights during winter blast, which resulted in punks invading the very popular and busy American and Lafayette Coney Island restaurants and assaulting some of the customers.

Oregon Company to Sell Drone Defense Technology to Public
    The company says it won't knock drones down, but will stop them from 'completing their mission'

Do you want to keep drones out of your backyard?

An Oregon company says that it has developed and will soon start selling technology that disables unmanned aircraft.

The company, called Domestic Drone Countermeasures, was founded in late February because some of its engineers see unmanned aerial vehicles—which are already being flown by law enforcement in some areas and could see wider commercial integration into American airspace by 2015—as unwanted eyes in the sky.

"I was personally concerned and I think there's a lot of other people worried about this," says Timothy Faucett, a lead engineer on the project. "We've already had many inquiries, a lot of people saying 'Hey, I don't want these drones looking at me.'" >>>

The company will sell land-based boxes that are "non-offensive, non-combative and not destructive." According to the company, "drones will not fall from the sky, but they will be unable to complete their missions." >>>

"We understand the nature of the equipment drone manufacturers are using and understand how to counter their sensors," Faucett says. "We're not going to be countering Predator drones that are shooting cruise missiles, but we're talking about local law enforcement drones and commercial ones that people might be using for spying."

For now, Faucett admits the technology is "expensive," but the company is already ready to design custom anti-drone boxes for customers.

"We envision it could be cheap enough for residential use very soon," he says. "It's quite possible to deploy it if you were shooting a movie and wanted to protect your set, or if you had a house in Malibu and wanted to protect that, we could deploy it there. If a huge company like Google wanted to protect its server farms, it can be scaled up for a larger, fixed installation."

As drones become more commonplace, Faucett says more people will begin searching for a way to protect their privacy.

"The thing that brought it home for me was Senator [Rand] Paul doing the filibuster, there's a lot of unanswered questions," he says. "We think there might be as much business for this counter drone stuff as there is for the drones themselves."

More@USNews

Gotta love the free market... 'till its not anymore.

but...
    but....
    but....

it bit me!!!

It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.