Thread: A new Pope...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 75
  1. #11  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sarasota,FL
    Posts
    42,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    A Jesuit, eh. You know the conspiracy theorists will be all over this one.
    You betcha!!! DU should be a scream for a few days on this...
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Don't worry. He is so against gay marriage and adoption. Oh, the horror.


    I'm trying to focus on the good though.
    Why are you focusing on the good? its good to be against gay marriage and adoption.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,910
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    You betcha!!! DU should be a scream for a few days on this...
    Ah yes. There should be a nice thread by Octafish connecting the new Pope to the BFEE!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Thank you.



    On another note, I just knew the new Pope would be Catholic. I'm wanting to laugh at some of the liberals who are actually upset that he's a social conservative. I'm like "Really?"

    I'm hoping he might try to open a door to allow priests to get married.
    2 things. #1, exactly what religious order did you think the pope would come from and #2, as for "I'm hoping he might try to open a door to allow priests to get married", you want the new pope do crap all over Catholic doctrine? What part of making a commitment to be married to the church do you not get?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    At least we'll have a ready response when he does his inevitable critique of the US military:
    I'd already thought of that.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Politically tired. Lanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,236
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    2 things. #1, exactly what religious order did you think the pope would come from and #2, as for "I'm hoping he might try to open a door to allow priests to get married", you want the new pope do crap all over Catholic doctrine? What part of making a commitment to be married to the church do you not get?
    I was pretty sure he'd be a social conservative, had no other ideas about what "order" he'd be from.

    Have you not heard that there's a problem recruiting men to this vocation? I believe that if the church allowed priests to get married then more men would be willing to come to the vocation. How is the church supposed to grow if there aren't a lot of people wanting to become priests?

    There was *never* a rule before Christ that said that priests had to remain single. Why is there one now? I believe this rule is man made.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member LukeEDay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    2,046
    1) Where is it said that he is a social conservative?

    2) I am glad he is a Jesuit. They need more of them in the church. And too see that upset liberals, makes it even sweeter ....

    3) There is a lot going to come out in the next couple of weeks, months.

    I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,910
    Pope Francis Called Gay Adoption A Form Of Discrimination Against Children

    Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/pope-...#ixzz2NTQbVl2d

    Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires, Argentina, has been elected the new pope and will now be known as Pope Francis.

    Bergoglio, 76, was "runner-up" last time the College of Cardinals elected a pope because he "appealed to conservatives," according to John Allen of the National Catholic Reporter.

    Here's more from Allen:

    Bergoglio is seen an unwaveringly orthodox on matters of sexual morality, staunchly opposing abortion, same-sex marriage, and contraception. In 2010 he asserted that gay adoption is a form of discrimination against children.

    In a letter to the monasteries of Buenos Aires about the bill, Bergoglio wrote: "Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

    He added that the bill called into question "the identity, and the survival of the family: father, mother, and children" and said the country needed "the special assistance of the Holy Spirit, to place the light of truth in the middle of the darkness of error, to defend us against the enchantment of so many sophistries with which they seek to justify this bill....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member LukeEDay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    2,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Pope Francis Called Gay Adoption A Form Of Discrimination Against Children

    Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/pope-...#ixzz2NTQbVl2d

    Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires, Argentina, has been elected the new pope and will now be known as Pope Francis.

    Bergoglio, 76, was "runner-up" last time the College of Cardinals elected a pope because he "appealed to conservatives," according to John Allen of the National Catholic Reporter.

    Here's more from Allen:

    Bergoglio is seen an unwaveringly orthodox on matters of sexual morality, staunchly opposing abortion, same-sex marriage, and contraception. In 2010 he asserted that gay adoption is a form of discrimination against children.

    In a letter to the monasteries of Buenos Aires about the bill, Bergoglio wrote: "Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

    He added that the bill called into question "the identity, and the survival of the family: father, mother, and children" and said the country needed "the special assistance of the Holy Spirit, to place the light of truth in the middle of the darkness of error, to defend us against the enchantment of so many sophistries with which they seek to justify this bill....
    Thank you for posting that .. It makes me feel better ..

    I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,910
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    Thank you for posting that .. It makes me feel better ..
    You're welcome. The hope for a "socially liberal" pope can get out of hand sometimes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •