Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1 Zero Tolerance over the top. 
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    5,722
    School confiscates third-grader’s cupcakes topped with toy soldiers


    In the latest incident of anti-gun hysteria to erupt in a school setting, officials at an elementary school in small-town Michigan impounded a third-grader boy’s batch of 30 homemade birthday cupcakes because they were adorned with green plastic figurines representing World War Two soldiers.
    Related stories: Links at source story.

    At Genoa-Kingston Middle School in northeast Illinois, a teacher threatened an eighth-grader with suspension if he did not remove his t-shirt emblazoned with the interlocking rifles insignia of the United States Marines.

    At Park Elementary School in Baltimore, Maryland, a student was suspended for two days because his teacher thought he shaped a strawberry, pre-baked toaster pastry into something resembling a gun.

    At Poston Butte High School in Arizona, a high school freshman was suspended for setting a picture of a gun as the desktop background on his school-issued computer.

    At D. Newlin Fell School in Philadelphia, school officials reportedly yelled at a student and then searched her in front of her class after she was found with a paper gun her grandfather had made for her.

    In rural Pennsylvania, a kindergarten girl was suspended for making a “terroristic threat” after she told another girl that she planned to shoot her with a pink Hello Kitty toy gun that bombards targets with soapy bubbles.

    At Roscoe R. Nix Elementary School in Maryland, a six-year-old boy was suspended for making the universal kid sign for a gun, pointing at another student and saying “pow.”
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    5,722
    "Fry Rice"


    "We sought a simple play on words in support of an extraordinary group of local student athletes. Indulging our critics for a moment, the outcry reminds us that racial and ethnic stereotypes can offend — regardless of intent," the editorial said.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    I remember when I was in high school I had a teacher want me to show her what I was writing. I told her no and she said "what if your planning a shooting". My response was "I want to make a sarcastic remark but I dont think your smart enough to tell the difference between a joke and a threat". At the time I was screwed over by transferring schools in late October and I couldnt get any credit for the classes I went to but I still legally had to be in school so I didnt feel obligated to pay attention or participate.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4 Re: Zero Tolerance over the top. 
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    ...My response was "I want to make a sarcastic remark but I dont think your smart enough to tell the difference between a joke and a threat".
    Aside from incoherent sputtering, what was your teacher's response?

    Sic hacer pace, para bellum.
    Sent from my android.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    13,010
    The story in Michigan is from Caro, somewhere I wouldn't expect people to have a problem with little plastic green soldiers on cupcakes. It's very rural and not exactly a liberal stronghold. Teachers are teachers wherever they live, I guess.

    I had some business there a couple of years ago, and had to go there a few times. Driving there involved passing a gun store that is also a barber shop, for one thing. They have a pretty courthouse, which is where my business was-it features a stained glass window mural of Governor Cass signing a treaty with the Indians.

    When I sat through the arraingments that morning, most of the people being indicted looked like the faces of meth.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6 Toaster Pastry Freedom Act 
    Senior Member Molon Labe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jihad Me At Hello
    Posts
    4,771
    Never fear. The Toaster Pastry Freedom act is here.

    http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/10/to...d-in-maryland/
    A Maryland state senator has crafted a bill to curb the zeal of public school officials who are tempted to suspend students as young as kindergarten for having things — or talking about things, or eating things — that represent guns, but aren’t actually anything like real guns.

    Sen. J. B. Jennings, a Republican who represents Baltimore Harford Counties, introduced “The Reasonable School Discipline Act of 2013″ on Thursday, reports The Star Democrat.

    “We really need to re-evaluate how kids are punished,” Jennings told The Star Democrat. “These kids can’t comprehend what they are doing or the ramifications of their actions.”


    Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/10/to...#ixzz2NFaKWKSD
    I don't know what's worse. Idiot teachers that cant distinguish a harmful item or the need for a law to stop teh Stupid.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown


    The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Never fear. The Toaster Pastry Freedom act is here.

    http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/10/to...d-in-maryland/

    I don't know what's worse. Idiot teachers that cant distinguish a harmful item or the need for a law to stop teh Stupid.
    The law exists because of the idiot teachers, so clearly they are the worse of the two.

    The absurd hatred that liberals have for anything that smacks of gun culture is just part of their contempt for their neighbors, none of whom can be trusted to defend themselves from predators, or even buy the right lightbulbs without liberal oversight. It's all just narcissism.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The law exists because of the idiot teachers, so clearly they are the worse of the two.

    The absurd hatred that liberals have for anything that smacks of gun culture is just part of their contempt for their neighbors, none of whom can be trusted to defend themselves from predators, or even buy the right lightbulbs without liberal oversight. It's all just narcissism.
    You're wrong here. The "idiot teachers" don't have power over school policy. For that, you can blame local school boards (politicians) and high level administrators (like superintendents) in the education bureaucracy. These people are not educators; they feed off the work of educators and spend most of their time creating the regulations and busy work that keep teachers worried and overwhelmed. Teachers are at the bottom of the pecking order, and they no more make up the rules or the guidelines than your customer service guy from India makes up the rules for Hewlett Packard.

    What probably happened here is that the lazy political bottom feeders in the administration passed down the word to the principals (who passed it down to the teachers) that anything resembling a gun or violence must be reported. Most likely, the teachers were told that not reporting these things--even the tiniest thing-- could cause them to be suspended or lose their jobs. Sort of like the time that a bunch of teachers I know were told that if they showed "Shindler's List" in a high school senior English class, they might as well rip up their teaching credentials because the film had an R rating. The fact that the film depicts a historical event meant nothing because administrators cannot distinguish between a film with value and a T&A extravaganza.

    It's easy to trash teachers because they are on the bottom and have no power to fight back. The teachers' unions largely ignore the concerns of real teachers and advance their own political agendas. They keep the teachers quiet by getting pay raises for them, but the policy of the unions rarely works to the benefit of good and dedicated teachers.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member Molon Labe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jihad Me At Hello
    Posts
    4,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    You're wrong here. The "idiot teachers" don't have power over school policy. For that, you can blame local school boards (politicians) and high level administrators (like superintendents) in the education bureaucracy.

    Correct. Teachers either conform to the system being put in place or suffer ridicule, reprimand, or worse. It's been a process over several generations to mold schools to their current societal views. The school system is one of the best examples of the Hegelian dialectic at work.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown


    The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    You're wrong here. The "idiot teachers" don't have power over school policy. For that, you can blame local school boards (politicians) and high level administrators (like superintendents) in the education bureaucracy. These people are not educators; they feed off the work of educators and spend most of their time creating the regulations and busy work that keep teachers worried and overwhelmed. Teachers are at the bottom of the pecking order, and they no more make up the rules or the guidelines than your customer service guy from India makes up the rules for Hewlett Packard.

    What probably happened here is that the lazy political bottom feeders in the administration passed down the word to the principals (who passed it down to the teachers) that anything resembling a gun or violence must be reported. Most likely, the teachers were told that not reporting these things--even the tiniest thing-- could cause them to be suspended or lose their jobs. Sort of like the time that a bunch of teachers I know were told that if they showed "Shindler's List" in a high school senior English class, they might as well rip up their teaching credentials because the film had an R rating. The fact that the film depicts a historical event meant nothing because administrators cannot distinguish between a film with value and a T&A extravaganza.

    It's easy to trash teachers because they are on the bottom and have no power to fight back. The teachers' unions largely ignore the concerns of real teachers and advance their own political agendas. They keep the teachers quiet by getting pay raises for them, but the policy of the unions rarely works to the benefit of good and dedicated teachers.
    You're correct, in that the policies are there, and I'm sure that the teachers are pressured to conform, but if the teacher refused to report something as stupid as a poptart in the shape of a wedge, the union would prevent any real repercussions. In NYC, where my mother taught for 30 years, teachers who actually molested kids would be suspended, with pay, pending investigations that took decades. About the only thing that a teacher could get in trouble for was refusing to join the UFT. Failing to report something stupid might get you a written reprimand, which, for all the good that they do, ought to be printed on soft, absorbent rolls and posted in the faculty bathroom. Most of the teachers who enforce these rules support them, or the administrators would get serious pushback from them and, more importantly, the unions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Correct. Teachers either conform to the system being put in place or suffer ridicule, reprimand, or worse. It's been a process over several generations to mold schools to their current societal views. The school system is one of the best examples of the Hegelian dialectic at work.
    Oh, yeah, like you can fire a unionized teacher.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •