Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Sacred mystery: Blockbuster ratings for ‘The Bible’ confound Hollywood 
    Power CUer
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ble-confound-/

According to the latest Nielsens, released Tuesday, Sunday night’s telecast of “The Bible,” produced by husband-and-wife team Mark Burnett and Roma Downey for basic cable’s History channel, managed to attract more viewers than anything on broadcast network NBC … during the entire week.

The second installment of this five-part mini-series airing at 8-10 p.m. Sundays through Easter — the first foray into scripted drama for “Survivor” creator Burnett — drew 10.8 million viewers, good for number one in its timeslot and number 11 overall for the week.

Even bigger was part one the week before, which amassed an audience of 13.1 million viewers, cable’s largest of the year. That series premiere topped the ratings for both of the week’s episodes of “American Idol.” (Not the first time the Almighty has bested idols in head-to-head competition in this ancient rivalry — but, still, an impressive feat, even if Fox’s longtime ratings juggernaut is showing signs of slippage.)

Blockbuster ratings for a compilation of bible stories from a reality TV producer taking his first crack at drama? Can’t be. If there was a market for biblical epics, then Hollywood wouldn’t have long ago abandoned the genre, a staple of the feature film industry back in the days of Cinerama. Or was it Cinemascope? Don’t ask me. I wasn’t even alive. Or if I was, I was only just beginning to grasp the essentials of widescreen projection techniques, which was offered as an elective at the nursery school where I was then enrolled.

Makes no sense. It’s not as if “The Bible” got any help from TV critics. Its Metacritic scores averaged just 44, the low end of the “mixed reviews” range as measured by the review aggregation site.

As a cable series, “The Bible” lacked the ready-made, large scale promotional platform and popular lead-in that can drive strong ratings for a new show on a major broadcast network, of the kind NBC was, for many years....

....No critical love. No marketing oomph. No-name cast. Together equal — what else? — ratings smash!

Probably just coincidence, but the same kind of paradox confounded Hollywood some years ago, as it pondered the improbable success of another biblical movie, “The Passion of the Christ.” Of course, that international blockbuster had movie icon Mel Gibson. Not on screen, no. But it did land Jim Caviezel for the lead role. CAVIEZEL. That’s C-A-V …

And once Jim Caviezel was attached to star, it was practically inevitable that “The Passion of the Christ” would go on to become the all-time top-grossing R-rated movie in the U.S., and rake in over $600 million worldwide. As if. No, here again, we must admit, answers are elusive....

Probably just coincidence
    It's no coincidence.

Don't believe for a second what the Left and their puppet masters in the media would have you believe about people and their religious beliefs in this country.
    Be Not Afraid.

When Hollywood does do Bible based pics it distorts the intention of the story being told. For example Will Smith is doing a movie about Cain that includes some vampiric elements to the tale.
    http://screenrant.com/will-smith-vam...in-ross-69042/

In the up coming movie about Noah the writers make Noah in to some sort of environmental extremist.

For the most part it is best that Hollywood refrain for Bible based movies unless they can get them right.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    Hollywood doesn't want to do Bible movies, and certainly not movies about Jesus. This is one area where profits don't matter and the desires of audiences don't matter.

I've seen bits and pieces of the miniseries. They used mostly unknowns in casting the various parts.

Even though it wasn't a huge role, I liked the guy who played Samuel. He really fit the part, both in looks and voice.

Ive downloaded the first 6 episodes. Am still watching the first. Its pretty good considering its a made for tv film.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Power CUer
    I haven't seen it, but I read the book.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    When Hollywood does do Bible based pics it distorts the intention of the story being told. For example Will Smith is doing a movie about Cain that includes some vampiric elements to the tale.
    http://screenrant.com/will-smith-vam...in-ross-69042/

In the up coming movie about Noah the writers make Noah in to some sort of environmental extremist.

For the most part it is best that Hollywood refrain for Bible based movies unless they can get them right.
    Lilith (Hebrew: לילית‎; lilit, or lilith) is a Hebrew name for a figure in Jewish mythology, developed earliest in the Babylonian Talmud, who is generally thought to be in part derived from a class of female demons Līlīṯu in Mesopotamian texts.

Evidence in later Jewish materials is plentiful, but little information has been found relating to the original Akkadian and Babylonian view of these demons. The relevance of two sources previously used to connect the Jewish Lilith to an Akkadian Lilitu – the Gilgamesh appendix and the Arslan Tash amulets – are now both disputed by recent scholarship.[1] The two problematic sources are discussed below.[2]

The Hebrew term Lilith first occurs in Isaiah 34:14, either singular or plural according to variations in the earliest manuscripts, though in a list of animals. In the Dead Sea Scrolls Songs of the Sage the term first occurs in a list of monsters. In Jewish magical inscriptions, on bowls and amulets from the 6th century CE onwards, Lilith is identified as a female demon and the first visual depictions appear.

In Jewish folklore, from the 8th–10th centuries Alphabet of Ben Sira onwards, Lilith becomes Adam's first wife, who was created at the same time and from the same earth as Adam. This contrasts with Eve, who was created from one of Adam's ribs. The legend was greatly developed during the Middle Ages, in the tradition of Aggadic midrashim, the Zohar and Jewish mysticism.[3] In the 13th Century writings of Rabbi Isaac ben Jacob ha-Cohen, for example, Lilith left Adam after she refused to become subservient to him and then would not return to the Garden of Eden after she mated with archangel Samael.[4] The resulting Lilith legend is still commonly used as source material in modern Western culture, literature, occultism, fantasy, and horror.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I haven't seen it, but I read the book.
    I too have read the book. Movies are rarely as good as the read and this one would have to be the greatest example of all time. Consider that simply 'reading' the Bible does very little without 'comprehension' and some 'background'. I suppose 'book knowledge' as opposed to 'heart knowledge' or 'experience' might be prominently displayed in this regard to put it very lightly.

I remember my first 'read' only took me a few months as I soaked up everything like a sponge. The second time took about 6 months. The third about a year. Then I mostly followed topics and threads that weave throughout. The more I read the more it seems I move from a topical and historical perspective to deeper meanings which cannot be rushed to fully appreciate. And even then...

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    One of the first things I noticed too.