Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    I remember my first 'read' only took me a few months as I soaked up everything like a sponge. The second time took about 6 months. The third about a year. Then I mostly followed topics and threads that weave throughout. The more I read the more it seems I move from a topical and historical perspective to deeper meanings which cannot be rushed to fully appreciate. And even then...
    Someday I'm going to follow one of those programs that takes you through the Bible in a year; I haven't done that yet. I admit I always get bogged down in "the begats", and tend to skip through them pretty rapidly.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Lilith (Hebrew: לילית‎; lilit, or lilith) is a Hebrew name for a figure in Jewish mythology, developed earliest in the Babylonian Talmud, who is generally thought to be in part derived from a class of female demons Līlīṯu in Mesopotamian texts.

Evidence in later Jewish materials is plentiful, but little information has been found relating to the original Akkadian and Babylonian view of these demons. The relevance of two sources previously used to connect the Jewish Lilith to an Akkadian Lilitu – the Gilgamesh appendix and the Arslan Tash amulets – are now both disputed by recent scholarship.[1] The two problematic sources are discussed below.[2]

The Hebrew term Lilith first occurs in Isaiah 34:14, either singular or plural according to variations in the earliest manuscripts, though in a list of animals. In the Dead Sea Scrolls Songs of the Sage the term first occurs in a list of monsters. In Jewish magical inscriptions, on bowls and amulets from the 6th century CE onwards, Lilith is identified as a female demon and the first visual depictions appear.

In Jewish folklore, from the 8th–10th centuries Alphabet of Ben Sira onwards, Lilith becomes Adam's first wife, who was created at the same time and from the same earth as Adam. This contrasts with Eve, who was created from one of Adam's ribs. The legend was greatly developed during the Middle Ages, in the tradition of Aggadic midrashim, the Zohar and Jewish mysticism.[3] In the 13th Century writings of Rabbi Isaac ben Jacob ha-Cohen, for example, Lilith left Adam after she refused to become subservient to him and then would not return to the Garden of Eden after she mated with archangel Samael.[4] The resulting Lilith legend is still commonly used as source material in modern Western culture, literature, occultism, fantasy, and horror.
    We're not discussing Jewish mythology or Jewish mysticism. I am very familiar with extra-biblical literature and I treat it as such, fiction literature which should not be confused with the Bible.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    We're not discussing Jewish mythology or Jewish mysticism. I am very familiar with extra-biblical literature and I treat it as such, fiction literature which should not be confused with the Bible.

For what it's worth, the Lilith stories are big with two groups of people: Neopagans and the pretend vampires.

I read about her when I was practicing Wicca. Wiccan magazines like to run stories about goddesses from cultures other than that of the British Isles (since most Wiccans claim their tradition comes from the ancient Celtic culture) . They can't get too much into Scandanavian gods, because eventually you come across some pro-Nazi crap. So one month, they'll have an article about some Chinese goddess, the next it could be about Chango or some other voodoo deity, and then there'll be an article about Lillith.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    For what it's worth, the Lilith stories are big with two groups of people: Neopagans and the pretend vampires.

I read about her when I was practicing Wicca. Wiccan magazines like to run stories about goddesses from cultures other than that of the British Isles (since most Wiccans claim their tradition comes from the ancient Celtic culture) . They can't get too much into Scandanavian gods, because eventually you come across some pro-Nazi crap. So one month, they'll have an article about some Chinese goddess, the next it could be about Chango or some other voodoo deity, and then there'll be an article about Lillith.
    God what daddy issues did you have to practice that religion? I've known several women that were into wecca and all had daddy issues lol
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Wicca? Really? What exactly was your practice like and how long were you involved?

Twins separated at birth?
    I watched last night's episode, enjoyed it ...

Saw the guy playing the part of the devil, and kept wondering who the dickens he reminded me of ... of course ... it WAS Obama!

This made me laugh this morning after clicking on the Drudge link.

Whether or not was intentionally done, I do not know ... but love it none-the-less. I really do!
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Why does the devil in 'The Bible' look exactly like President Obama?
    When asked to comment the devil replied "Come on, I'm not that bad".
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Wicca? Really? What exactly was your practice like and how long were you involved?

I was never really in any group, it was something I adapted after reading up on it. Nothing ever really came of any of the rituals I did. I gave it up when 1. I realized how much of it's practice was about trying to manipulate other people for my benefit and 2. I missed Jesus. I discussed this once here with Ginger-I also had been involved in Young Life as a teen, and had asked Jesus into my life at age 16. I think that may be why nothing ever came of my rituals, although I have done some pretty good tarot card readings for people in my time-that was more because I am a good social worker.

There are a lot of different people who practice Wicca, but yeah, most of the women who do have some type of issue with men. I went to a few events, one at a Unitarian Church in a wealthy suburb, and either the women had been abused somehow or they were rich, clueless, plastic-faced women who thought they were royalty, and had found a religion to validate those feelings. My favorite person at that event was a woman from England, who stood up and asked the group "I thought I was coming to Detroit-where are all the black women?".

I was never really in any group, it was something I adapted after reading up on it. Nothing ever really came of any of the rituals I did. I gave it up when 1. I realized how much of it's practice was about trying to manipulate other people for my benefit and 2. I missed Jesus. I discussed this once here with Ginger-I also had been involved in Young Life as a teen, and had asked Jesus into my life at age 16. I think that may be why nothing ever came of my rituals, although I have done some pretty good tarot card readings for people in my time-that was more because I am a good social worker.
    So there are really spells and things? That sounds so medieval. Then again, my church is moving back to chant masses so I guess I shouldn't talk. Interesting that it's all about manipulating people. That's one benefit of praying to God, who has a choice whether to answer your prayers or not, sometimes for your own good.

There are a lot of different people who practice Wicca, but yeah, most of the women who do have some type of issue with men. I went to a few events, one at a Unitarian Church in a wealthy suburb, and either the women had been abused somehow or they were rich, clueless, plastic-faced women who thought they were royalty, and had found a religion to validate those feelings.
    Oh, no. I bet they thought they were Egyptian queens in a past life. Ever notice how no one was ever a kitchen maid in a previous life? Or the guy who picked up the horse crap? It's always royalty or priestesses or some other nonsense. You'd think if there were past lives, most of them would have been just as uneventful as they are now.

My favorite person at that event was a woman from England, who stood up and asked the group "I thought I was coming to Detroit-where are all the black women?".
    LOL! Leave to a Brit to state the obvious. Very funny.