Thread: What should McCain do about Cheney?

1. #1 What should McCain do about Cheney? 
    By JONATHAN MARTIN | 6/11/08 4:52 AM EST

He’s a highly effective fundraiser in an election cycle in which Republicans are starved for cash, a hero to the wing of the party that views John McCain with the most suspicion. He has four decades of campaign experience, ranging from a short stint running Gerald Ford’s election bid in 1976 to two successful races on the presidential ticket.

Yet despite that pedigree, Vice President Dick Cheney is unlikely to share a stage with McCain anytime soon—and may not be called on to play any role at all in the 2008 presidential campaign.

In part, it’s a reflection of political expediency. Though Cheney is one of the nation’s most influential and talked about vice presidents ever, his favorability ratings are near toxic lows.

But Cheney and McCain also have had a rocky relationship.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0608/11000.html
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Resident Grump
    VICE PRESIDENT Cheney has other matters to deal with and will probably retire.

Power CUer
    Except perhaps for a few large-donor dinners, I don't think Cheney needs to hit the campaign trail, and I don't think McCain needs to hang out with him.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Except perhaps for a few large-door diners, I don't think Cheney needs to hit the campaign trail, and I don't think McCain needs to hang out with him.
    *Fixed. :D
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Could just be the V.P. is just an embarrassment. :p

Vepr
    Have Cheney invite Obama on a hunting trip...