Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 DUers upset that Candy Crowley supports rapists (animals) that raped unconscious girl 
    Lots of threads on this. Partly glad that DUmmies have begun to see La Crowley for what she is, but I'll bet they still don't mind that she tipped the Presidential debate scales with a lie. What a tool.

Shame on CNN: Apologize for Steubenville coverage = PETITION

Yesterday a guilty verdict was handed down in the Steubenville rape case, where a 16-year-old girl was raped repeatedly by boys on a high school football team. The verdict was the beginning of justice for this brave young girl, but CNN's coverage was awful.

The entire CNN panel, including Candy Crowley, reporter Poppy Harlow and legal analyst Paul Callan focused on what a tragedy this was for the boys and what a shame it was that their lives had been ruined--as if the rape was some sort of unfortunate accident and they hadn't committed a very serious, very invasive and very life-altering for the survivor, crime.

CNN didn't focus on what this verdict meant for Jane Doe--only sad reflections on the "destroyed" lives of these boys--boys who were caught on tape raping a girl. This is wrong and CNN owes us all an apology. Can you add your name to the petition?
    Tell CNN:

"Your Steubenville verdict coverage was terrible and offensive. These boys committed a very serious crime, and they were held accountable. The verdict that the judge handed down was justice--not a "tragedy."The tragedy was the rape. Please apologize and make this right."
    Anderson Cooper on the Steubenville Rape Case

He just spent the first 15 minutes of his show defending the rape victim and appropriately pointing out the guilt of the perpetrators. Guess he's trying to make up for the awful reporting of Candy Crowley and Poppy Harlow yesterday.

Glad to see Anderson do this as I usually view him as a good reporter on human affairs and social issues, but I still think Crowley and Harlow have some apologizing to do.
    Why does CNN keep Candy Crowley?

Now she feels so sorry for those poor rapists in Steubanville, Ohio.

http://crooksandliars.com/karoli/can...steubenville-r
    This Two-Year-Old Onion Story Perfectly Predicted CNN’s Shocking Steubenville Rape Trial Coverage

This Two-Year-Old Onion Story Perfectly Predicted CNN’s Shocking Steubenville Rape Trial Coverage

--video at link

CNN earned the ire of thousands over the weekend when it aired coverage of the Steubenville Rape trial that was shockingly sympathetic toward the rapists.

"Incredibly difficult, even for an outsider like me, to watch what happened as these two young men that had such promising futures," correspondent Poppy Harlow told anchor Candy Crowley, who then turned around and asked a legal expert to weigh in on the "lasting effect" being found guilty of rape will have on the lives of "sixteen-year-olds just sobbing in court."

Given the Onion-y nature of CNN's coverage, it may not be all that surprising to learn that The Onion did a story two years ago that shares some disturbing similarities with CNN's take.

"I was a staff writer on the Onion's show 'SportsDome' which aired on Comedy Central in 2011," writes Krister Johnson in the intro to Onion Sports Network story "Athele Overcomes Rape." "This is one of the stories we did—full credit to David Iscoe for the idea and script. It could have been produced by the CNN team covering the Steubenville rape verdict."

http://gawker.com/5991175/this-two+y...trial-coverage
    Steubenville Rape Victim Receiving Death Threats

STEUBENVILLE (KDKA/AP) – The victim of a rape case involving two Steubenville High School football players is now reportedly receiving death threats.

Police say two 16-year-old girls are charged with threatening the girl. They say one of the suspected girls was arrested and the other turned herself in.

Police say one of the girls tweeted a threat to the victim, and they later learned of another threat from a second teen.

In a tweet to the victim, Police say one of the teens wrote, “you ripped my family apart, you made my cousin cry , so when I see you xxxxx, it’s gone be a homicide.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/...e-rape-victim/

Jesus... no wonder so many girls and women are reluctant to report sexual assaults.

And now the whole world knows her name...

Star Member freshwest (28,250 posts)
    37. 'But think of those boys' bright futures ruined! Oh, the humanity,' sobs Candice Crowley.
    I met Candy Crowley a couple times something about the look in her eye reminds me of a horse I had.

The old nag was unpredictable and would bite when you were being nice to her and generally hated everyone people and other horses. Shaking hands with Candy she has the same look and demeanor.
    CNN's Steubenville Coverage Focuses On Rapists, Not Victim

CNN's Steubenville Coverage Focuses On Effect Rape Trial Will Have On Rapists, Not Victim

CNN's coverage of the verdict in the Steubenville rape case appeared to be curiously weighted on Sunday, focusing on the effect the guilty verdict would have on the lives of the now-convicted rapists and their families, rather than that of the victim and her family.

------

And yet, the effects of the rape on the victim seemed to be an afterthought: "It was incredibly emotional, it was difficult for anyone in there to watch those boys break down," Harlow said. " also difficult, of course, for the victim's family."

---

The Sunday afternoon segment was hardly the first time CNN had fumbled its coverage of the case. Earlier on Sunday, anchor Candy Crowley expressed her deepest sympathies for Mays and Richmond.

---

The slant of the day's coverage was revealing in two capacities. First, CNN appears to have bet on the emotions of those it could show on camera -- for obvious reasons, the victim's identity has been protects, and the victim's family was not shown weeping in court. Networks know that people crying make for great TV. Secondly, it's telling that this tone continued over multiple segments, despite a cadre of tweets and blog posts deriding the network's earlier coverage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kia-ma...ubenville-rape

Crowley and the reporter were so focused on the effect that this will have on the lives of the rapists that they have completely lost sight of the heinous crime against the victim. The shocking thing was that Fox was one of the networks that named the victim on the air. I expect this kind of idiocy from MSNBC and CNN, they're completely without scruples, but I expected better of Fox.

--Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Unbelieveable.

We had a similar case around here about 10 or so years ago, involving upperclassmen athletes from Grosse Pointe who raped a barely conscious freshman, and were found guilty. The boys were found guilty, but given very light sentences. It was enough for UM to yank one of their athletic scholarships and his admission, and he cried up a storm to the media. In that case, it wasn't that the media was sympathetic, though, I think in that case the media was trying to expose the little asshole for what he was-a rapist and a pussy.

These guys in Stuebenville are lucky they got tried as juveniles. That might not have happened in other states, including Michigan. They took pictures of the poor girl. I'll bet there are a lot of other students who could have stopped them, too.

Rape culture.

Football players are heroes and should never be punished no matter how evil they've been. Ugh.

I think the real problem is that we still have a very very very long way to go before we respect the status of women the way it should be respected.

Until then, we can expect more excuses being made for football players and professional boxers. We can expect more excuses made when the victim is drunk. We can expect more "boys will be boys" nonsense. We can expect more "women" to speak in defense of the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    These guys in Stuebenville are lucky they got tried as juveniles. That might not have happened in other states, including Michigan. They took pictures of the poor girl. I'll bet there are a lot of other students who could have stopped them, too.
    I heard the DA is looking into prosecuting people who knew and didn't speak up. I hope he does. It would teach the community a lesson about being okay with looking the other way. That's what gets me about all these people defending the rapists. These guys got a slap on the wrist for what they did, and they're complaining the punishment is too harsh?

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Rape culture.

Football players are heroes and should never be punished no matter how evil they've been. Ugh.

I think the real problem is that we still have a very very very long way to go before we respect the status of women the way it should be respected.
    So, what you're saying is that Candy Crowley doesn't respect women?

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Until then, we can expect more excuses being made for football players and professional boxers. We can expect more excuses made when the victim is drunk. We can expect more "boys will be boys" nonsense. We can expect more "women" to speak in defense of the victim.
    Okay, so why is it that football players who are convicted of rape get sympathy from the media but college lacrosse players who are accused of rape (and who are proven to be innocent) ignite rage in the media? Remember how the NY Times ran over 100 articles on the Duke Lacrosse team, or how Nancy Grace ranted about them on CNN even as the case against them was falling apart? How is it that the rape culture is different in Ohio and North Carolina, or is there more to the story?

It's not the "rape culture", it's the media culture.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    So, what you're saying is that Candy Crowley doesn't respect women?
    I'd go with that. It seems to me like she doesn't respect much of anybody, including conservatives who know she helped Oblablah lie in the debate.

Okay, so why is it that football players who are convicted of rape get sympathy from the media but college lacrosse players who are accused of rape (and who are proven to be innocent) ignite rage in the media? Remember how the NY Times ran over 100 articles on the Duke Lacrosse team, or how Nancy Grace ranted about them on CNN even as the case against them was falling apart? How is it that the rape culture is different in Ohio and North Carolina, or is there more to the story?

It's not the "rape culture", it's the media culture.
    You know, I don't watch CNN, so I don't know how Crowley covered the innocent Duke players. But remember Nancy Grace?

Sounds to me like there's another factor in play besides guilt or innocence when it comes to media culture. Any guesses?

But wait: there's more:

A 16 Year Old Girl Was Brutally Raped, But Society and Media MOURN FOR THE RAPISTS

...." CNN’s Candy Crowley and Poppy Harlow were sensitized to the wrecked football careers of “two young men who had such promising young futures” and were “very good students,” but showed no sympathy for the victim. Prior to the trial’s beginning, Good Morning America emphasized the “shattered football futures” of the rapists by reporting “there was no jury” and that a lone judge would “decide the fates of Trent Mays and Ma’lik Richmond, who face incarceration in a detention center until their 21st birthdays and the almost-certain demise of their dreams of playing football.” Indeed, after the verdict was read, Richmond fell into his lawyer’s arms sobbing, “My life is over. No one is going to want me now,” and it informed that after being deified as a local football hero, his life was over and it is part of America’s reverence for sports figures regardless their criminal behaviors. However, the tragedy is not that two young men were “cheated” out of promising football careers because they committed rape, it is about the victim; and all women in America...

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I'd go with that. It seems to me like she doesn't respect much of anybody, including conservatives who know she helped Oblablah lie in the debate.

You know, I don't watch CNN, so I don't know how Crowley covered the innocent Duke players. But remember Nancy Grace?

Sounds to me like there's another factor in play besides guilt or innocence when it comes to media culture. Any guesses?
    The media doesn't seem to care much about rape when the perpetrator is someone that they admire. Roman Polanski raped a child, but Hollywood closed ranks to defend him. Bill Clinton was accused of raping Juanita Broaddrick, and there was almost no coverage of it, except to say how awful those few outlets that covered it were. Al Gore molested a masseuse a couple of years ago, but you almost never hear about it. Teddy Kennedy's waitress sandwich with Chris Dodd was an open secret in Washington, but nobody ever considered expelling him from the senate, unlike Bob Packwood, who never drowned anyone.

Nancy Grace did to the Duke Lacrosse players what MSNBC tried to do to Zimmerman. Trial by media has become the new way of enforcing leftist orthodoxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I cannot say how surprised I am to be on the same side of an issue as DU.
    --Odysseus

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

I cannot say how surprised I am to be on the same side of an issue as DU.
    Somethings things are just so out of whack that it's impossible to take another side.