1. #1 Who's in the tower? At some regional airports soon: Nobody 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    By Mike M. Ahlers and Rene Marsh, CNN
    updated 6:02 PM EDT, Fri March 22, 2013

Frederick, Maryland (CNN) -- The Federal Aviation Administration on Friday told 149 regional airports across the country it would begin closing their air traffic control towers in April, but said it would spare another 40 towers that had been on the chopping block.

The agency said the cuts are necessary to help meet $637 million in forced spending cuts.

The tower closures will begin April 7 and will be phased in over four weeks, FAA Chief Operating Officer David Grizzle said in a memo obtained by CNN. Some towers were spared after the FAA considered appeals from towers, and consulted with the departments of defense and homeland security.

Among those to be closed are towers at regional airports in Frederick, Maryland, and near St. Petersburg, Florida, that were built with federal stimulus money and have been open less than a year.

Read the full list of tower closures

Several near me...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Is their goal to entirely restrict middle class air travel?

Nope - more to irritate the rich.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

This is the biggest non-story ever. I had some Lefty loon ranting at me in my office the other day about this, about how this was going to "make it unsafe to fly" and other such nonsense.

I simply asked him why that was the case, and he was utterly incredulous, because there won't be people in these towers.

Newsflash, people: with the exception of about eight or ten of these airports, they are all private planes only, and almost exclusively for recreational fliers. There are a scant few who get commercial service, and of those, all are government-subsidized flights, like John Murtha's pet airport in Johnstown, PA (that finally lost that subsidy after that old fucker finally croaked a couple of years ago). These are places that do not need towers at all. They only have towers and tower staff because someone managed to convince some Congressional goon to attach it onto some farm appropriations bill or some such. These towers have been a complete waste for decades and rational people have been trying to shut them down for ages.

There is, of course, the usual wailing and gnashing of teeth from the media who are so desperate to push the meme about how we're all gonna die because the sequester didn't let us increase spending even more, but in fact this is something that's needed to happen for a long, LONG time.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.