Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Teacher booted from Portland School District after protracted battle with PP 
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Untrue.
    Oh, well. That settles it! How can I argue with that kind of reasoning?
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The school will settle with him. It's worth the suit to keep the pension-if his work record says he was fired, he doesn't get his pension. The school district will realize quickly that their legal resources are lacking, compared to the NEA's. And, if the teacher is a member of the NEA (or the AFT), the union has to represent him through the grievance process.

I had a coworker who was initially fired for things that she should have been fired for doing. During the grievance process, the union was able to press the state to let her resign, so she could keep her pension. In this particular situation, the coworker was known for being litigious, so management decided to let her keep her pension since it would probably get tied up in court for years. She's done in public-sector social work, though, but I'll bet Laurie's House to Save Babies in Branson, MO would probably hire her (Jim Bakker's ministry).
    That assumes that he's a member and that the union supports him (the NEA and AFT are just as much a part of the leftist education bureaucracy as the administration). But he will still have to fight for his job, while having no income in a tight market, and with the firing on his record until it is expunged. All for simply opposing the politization of the curriculum. Tell me that won't silence others.

Sic hacer pace, para bellum.
    Sent from my android.
    Last edited by Odysseus; 03-26-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

That assumes that he's a member and that the union supports him (the NEA and AFT are just as much a part of the leftist education bureaucracy as the administration). But he will still have to fight for his job, while having no income in a tight market, and with the firing on his record until it is expunged. All for simply opposing the politization of the curriculum. Tell me that won't silence others.

Sent from my android.
    I knew a guy that worked as a maintenance man at a local high school and had his contract non renewed due to a boss he had problems with. Make a long story short the teachers union that was supposed to cover him didn't want to fight for him but he pushed and sue the school and won. They love taking your union dues but didn't want to fight for him (he had a good record but the new boss was a total douche, I know him lol)
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Fabulous Poster
    You are the one who made a claim which is demonstrably false... that is unless you believe that a bunch of Jewish ALCU lawyers went to bat for Nazi or Klan speech because it's "their kind of speech". When you and some other folks around here aren't diddling yourselves with what-if scenarios, you are accusing the ACLU of agreeing with the people whose free speech they are defending, when in fact they are simply defending free speech.

No, they don't take every case. Like all advocacy groups they tend to select clean cases and preferably ones they feel they can win. I have no idea if they will take this case or not, or if Diss will even ask them to. I would be surprised if they did considering the allegations made against him by some of his students.

“He doesn’t do it a lot, but students do make fun of him for being against it and everything,” junior Ty’sha Harrell said. “When he does talk about it, he does have really good views and everything, sometimes he goes too deep into it. He brings religion into it.”

In one suspension letter provided to the Oregonian, school officials accused him of trying to block students from attending the Planned Parenthood program because of his religious beliefs and told them to “shut (their) mouths.”

(Students) also quoted you as saying, ‘they would end up on 82nd (Avenue) and that they kill over a million babies every three years,’” the letter, addressed from school principal Carol Campbell and the human resources director, stated.

Diss told the newspaper there was a misunderstanding in the reference to 82nd Avenue, a known hub for prostitution, but admitted to talking about Planned Parenthood and his religious beliefs in class.

4. #14 Re: Teacher booted from Portland School District after protracted battle with PP 
    You are the one who made a claim which is demonstrably false... th at is unless you believe that a bunch of Jewish ALCU lawyers went to bat for Nazi or Klan speech because it's "their kind of speech". When you and some other folks around here aren't diddling yourselves with what-if scenarios, you are accusing the ACLU of agreeing with the people whose free speech they are defending, when in fact they are simply defending free speech.

No, they don't take every case. Like all advocacy groups they tend to select clean cases and preferably ones they feel they can win. I have no idea if they will take this case or not, or if Diss will even ask them to. I would be surprised if they did considering the allegations made against him by some of his students.

“He doesn’t do it a lot, but students do make fun of him for being against it and everything,” junior Ty’sha Harrell said. “When he does talk about it, he does have really good views and everything, sometimes he goes too deep into it. He brings religion into it.”

In one suspension letter provided to the Oregonian, school officials accused him of trying to block students from attending the Planned Parenthood program because of his religious beliefs and told them to “shut (their) mouths.”

(Students) also quoted you as saying, ‘they would end up on 82nd (Avenue) and that they kill over a million babies every three years,’” the letter, addressed from school principal Carol Campbell and the human resources director, stated.

Diss told the newspaper there was a misunderstanding in the reference to 82nd Avenue, a known hub for prostitution, but admitted to talking about Planned Parenthood and his religious beliefs in class.

They take cases that they can win, but which also support their agenda. The ACLU uses dubious Constitutional arguments to subvert the Constitution and the values that the vast majority of Americans believe in. Advocating for hate groups attacks the targets of their hate and advances that goal. In the case of the Nazi marchers, that made the Jews of Skokie less safe in their neighborhood and undermined their faith in the protection of the law.

The religious basis for Diss' convictions doesn't render them any less worthy of First Amendment protection. In fact, the administration's position is a clear denial of his free speech rights as well as the free exercise of his religious beliefs. The ACLU will not take up this case, unless it is on the side of Planned Parenthood.

Sent from my android.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Well, there you have it! Diss talked about religion in class. And his students actually remembered it.

I call that effective teaching. Probably did it without a quiz or an exam as well.
    U.S. Army, Retired

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Eupher View Post
    Well, there you have it! Diss talked about religion in class. And his students actually remembered it.

I call that effective teaching. Probably did it without a quiz or an exam as well.
    This is not his religion:

“(Students) also quoted you as saying, ‘they would end up on 82nd (Avenue) and that they kill over a million babies every three years,’” the letter, addressed from school principal Carol Campbell and the human resources director, stated.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...nd_avenue.html

Sex is easy to find on 82nd Avenue.
    Prostitutes stroll the street pretty much 24 hours a day in these warmer months, attractive women seemingly untouched by life and soon-to-be senior citizens who look as if they remember the days when 82nd was literally the edge of town.
    The locals wear sweaters and jeans, with the barest hint of makeup. The ones from California dress up, paint their nails, strap on the highest of heels and position their wigs with a professional's precision.
    They come to 82nd because it's an easy place to find customers willing to pay anywhere from $50 to $150, depending on just how personal you want to get. They also are here, these days, because they know there's little police can do to stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    He shouldn't have been fired for what he does on his own time. I also think the school officials basically set him up on the whole identification thing for the PP speakers. He probably could win a lawsuit and be reinstated, if that's what he wants to do.
    Why the hell would he want to be reinstated in what would be a hostile work place when he could just sue the school district for say five million dollars and find a job at a quality school rather than returning to a shit one.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

You are the one who made a claim which is demonstrably false... that is unless you believe that a bunch of Jewish ALCU lawyers went to bat for Nazi or Klan speech because it's "their kind of speech". When you and some other folks around here aren't diddling yourselves with what-if scenarios, you are accusing the ACLU of agreeing with the people whose free speech they are defending, when in fact they are simply defending free speech.

Why would anyone listen to high school students about anything?
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Sent from my android.
    The coworker in question was only paying the partial dues that one pays if one quits the union (prior to RTW being passed, I'm not sure how it works now). She quit the union because she was a political conservative and the union supported candidates and causes she didn't. The union went all out for her, despite the fact that she had done some pretty bad things. They got her a good deal, all things considered.

They'd have a lot less work on this case, because this guy didn't do anything wrong.