Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Obama compares Israeli-Palestinian conflict to Canada-U.S. disagreements 
    Obama compares Israeli-Palestinian conflict to Canada-U.S. disagreements

March 21, 2013 | 10:03 am | Modified: March 21, 2013 at 10:20 am

Speaking at a news conference with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas this morning, President Obama urged Israel and Palestine to reach a diplomatic agreement, comparing the conflict between the two states to “arguments” between the U.S. and Canada.
    “So I think it’s important for us to work through this process, even if there are irritants on both sides,” Obama said. “The Israelis have concerns about rockets flying into their cities last night. And it would be easy for them to say, you see, this is why we can’t have peace because we can’t afford to have our kids in beds sleeping and suddenly a rocket comes through the roof. But my argument is even though both sides may have areas of strong disagreement, may be engaging in activities that the other side considers to be a breach of good faith, we have to push through those things to try to get to an agreement — because if we get an agreement then it will be very clear what the nature of that agreement is: There will be a sovereign Palestinian state, a sovereign Jewish State of Israel.”

“And those two states I think will be able to deal with each other the same way all states do. I mean, the United States and Canada has arguments once in a while, but they’re not the nature of arguments that can’t be solved diplomatically.”
    http://washingtonexaminer.com/obama-...rticle/2524999

In response to this, the Canadians fired a series of rockets over Niagara Falls into upstate New York.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Power CUer
    It's a wish, not a comparison.

“And those two states I think will be able to deal with each other the same way all states do. I mean, the United States and Canada has arguments once in a while, but they’re not the nature of arguments that can’t be solved diplomatically.”

It is a hope that Israel and Palestine will get to the point where they are like all other nations and have occasional squabbles over pipelines and the Stanley Cup.

I fault Obama for many, many things, Ody, but not for hoping that Israel-Palestine relations will normalize in the future.

Sonnabend
    There is no Palestine

Mexico's narco-criminals, blind eye to the coyotes, institutionalized corruption, and political volatility might have made a more apt comparison...I wonder why he didn't go there...?

I think he was talking about AFTER a peace agreement has been made, not right now.

That said, I don't think a two state solution is possible. I used to be a die hard about that idea, but I really don't see how it's possible anymore with Hamas running Palestine.

Barry's efforts to soft-touch the very lethal Israeli-Palestinian differences and compare them - however obliquely - to the U.S. and Canadian differences is an insult to thinking people everywhere.

This quote simply makes Barry look like a chump and a fool. Of course, he needs no help with that. He's doing just fine all by himself.
    U.S. Army, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I think he was talking about AFTER a peace agreement has been made, not right now.

That said, I don't think a two state solution is possible. I used to be a die hard about that idea, but I really don't see how it's possible anymore with Hamas running Palestine.
    The Palestinians had their chance at a "two state" solution in 1948 and they turned it down.

And honestly...there is no "Palestine". They've never been anything but a bunch of nomadic Bedouin's that bounced from country to country in the region until they'd worn out their welcome and were told to move on.

It wasn't until a young Egyptian with a degree in Civil Engineering came along founded Fatah that thiw whole occupation of Palestine thing took root..
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    The Palestinians had their chance at a "two state" solution in 1948 and they turned it down.

And honestly...there is no "Palestine". They've never been anything but a bunch of nomadic Bedouin's that bounced from country to country in the region until they'd worn out their welcome and were told to move on.

It wasn't until a young Egyptian with a degree in Civil Engineering came along founded Fatah that thiw whole occupation of Palestine thing took root..
    they had a chance with Clinton but threw it away.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eupher View Post
    Barry's efforts to soft-touch the very lethal Israeli-Palestinian differences and compare them - however obliquely - to the U.S. and Canadian differences is an insult to thinking people everywhere.

This quote simply makes Barry look like a chump and a fool. Of course, he needs no help with that. He's doing just fine all by himself.
    The naivete of the Community Organizer is boundless......................
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    they had a chance with Clinton but threw it away.

Yup Peres was willing to give Arafat everything he'd ever demanded...and he turned it down.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.