1. #1 Kentucky House votes to override governor's veto of 'religious freedom' bill 
    Power CUer
    Kentucky House votes to override governor's veto of 'religious freedom' bill

Generation_Why (95 posts)

Source: Lexington Herald-Leader

FRANKFORT The Kentucky House of Representatives voted 79-16 Tuesday night to overturn Gov. Steve Beshear's veto of controversial legislation referred to as the "religious freedom" bill.

The state Senate is expected to override the veto later tonight.

The bill will allow someone with "sincerely held" religious beliefs to disregard state laws and regulations.

Read more details later tonight on Kentucky.com and in Wednesday's Herald-Leader.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2013/03/26/2...-override.html

As a Kentuckian, I am beyond disgusted.
    Of course, the usual Christian bashing:

The Velveteen Ocelot (34,269 posts)
    2. So, if you have a sincerely held religious belief in human sacrifice

or polygamy or cannibalism this means you can do those things even though they violate state law? Or does this apply only to Christian pharmacists who don't want to sell birth control products or Christian businesses who don't want their employees' health insurance to cover those things?

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #2)

Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:24 PM

A Little Weird (134 posts)
    10. Amish

This bill was supposedly in response to a highly publicized case a year or so ago where a group of Amish men went to jail because they refused to put a caution triangle on their horse-drawn buggy. They said it was against their religion and they got a lot of support from people who thought the government was persecuting them. I doubt if there would be that much sympathy if they caused an accident (which seems like just a matter of time).

I hoped that when this bill was vetoed, the lawmakers would see how this idiotic thing could be misused. I was deluded to think that was possible. I am extremely disappointed the veto is being overturned. Once the lawsuits start rolling in, they will realize what a dumb thing this was.

But yes, it will be interesting to see if they believe any non-christian beliefs are "sincerely held".

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #2)

Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:39 PM

Marr (13,085 posts)
    12. No, no, that's "sincerely-held" as in, "Christian".

Of course, DU being DU:

Swamp Lover (374 posts)
    9. Rastafari Rejoice!!!!!
    Silver linin' mon!!!!

Phillip McCleod (712 posts)
    14. sweet ima grow dreadlocks and move to kentucky!
    sweeet! rastamon don work for no babylon rasta. i n i grow the herb for the healing of the nations.
    sincerely,

rasta phil

I'm really unclear on what the bill was supposed to accomplish.

The Amish should put those safety triangles on their buggies. I don't want to see Amish people killed by us irresponsible "English" drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm really unclear on what the bill was supposed to accomplish.

The Amish should put those safety triangles on their buggies. I don't want to see Amish people killed by us irresponsible "English" drivers.
    They get killed anyway:

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...WS09/711239993

So how effective are those "mandatory" safety triangles?

Never mind, that's a rhetorical question. The government mandates, the people listen, and they die anyway.

Any time I've encountered a buggy with a safety triangle on it I've often wondered what the Amish thought about having to buy that particular piece of safety equipment, just because the government mandates it.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion about Kentucky and the overridden bill on religious "freedom"...
    U.S. Army, Retired