Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

So, it's a trend that's been in the black community for a couple of generations, but is catching up in the white demographics, too.
    It has been a trend among blacks going back to slavery when in many cases it was forced on them and that may actually have some bearing on why the tradition still continues.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    In case you hasn't noticed, the argument that gay couples marrying will "wreck marriage and family" has never been successfully defended.
    Hasn't been proven wrong either nor is there enough data to suggest that a child brought up in a gay family ends up as well adjusted or less as a majority of children raised in a heterosexual family.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Eupher View Post
    Well, apparently the Supreme Court is thinking that since the whole idea of gays and marriage hasn't been around longer than cell phones and the Internet, there isn't really enough history to support the POV in either direction.
    That's a circular argument. We're in court because gay couples have been getting married but governments have been treating those marriages differently. It's rather like Scalia's attempt at being clever in which he demands to know when such discrimination became unconstitutional. The fact that a subject group has been discriminated against doesn't mean it was Constitutional, it only means it was done and tolerated until it wasn't.

When the Supremes are struggling with the so-called direction that the gays and their supporters want to take the nation (and are succeeding, I might add, particularly among young people), kinda puts the issue in perspective, doesn't it?
    Please offer something other than stupidity. Gay couples getting married isn't "taking the nation" in some direction other than the realization of the Constitution.

In case you haven't been paying attention, I don't have a lot of respect for people like Scalia. I consider him a little too recent and his associations too foreign to be trusted. But I recognize that the Constitution makes no such distinction on the former and society is too willing to tolerate the latter for anything to be done about it.

Regardless what the Court says, my own sense of right and wrong tells me gay marriage is wrong. That's all I need. The Supremes can dig around all they want, that doesn't change much in my department.
    The Justices of the Supreme Court aren't required to change their opinion, if any, of gay couples marrying or gay people in general. They are under oath to put any prejudices aside and rule objectively and in accordance with the Constitution. What people like you can't stand is that the COnstitution couldn't be more unlike the Bible. You have bought into the BS that the Constitution is based in the Bible when clearly it is not. Ceremonial deism in documents doesn't mean that the Founding Fathers were snake handlers talking in tongues.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Hasn't been proven wrong either nor is there enough data to suggest that a child brought up in a gay family ends up as well adjusted or less as a majority of children raised in a heterosexual family.
    It hasn't been proven that the Vulcans haven't made first contact either.

What's a heterosexual family? What qualifications and standards are imposed upon them for parenthood?

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    But there is a study: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...49089X12000610

Nova saw my previous post with the study. He's just ignoring it and the LTTE that I posted with it on page 1.

How different are the adult children of parents who have same-sex relationships? Findings from the New Family Structures Study

Mark Regnerus E-mail the corresponding author

Department of Sociology and Population Research Center, University of Texas at Austin, 1 University Station A1700, Austin, TX 78712-0118, United States

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ssresearch.2012.03.009, How to Cite or Link Using DOI

Permissions & Reprints

Abstract

The New Family Structures Study (NFSS) is a social-science data-collection project that fielded a survey to a large, random sample of American young adults (ages 18–39) who were raised in different types of family arrangements. In this debut article of the NFSS, I compare how the young-adult children of a parent who has had a same-sex romantic relationship fare on 40 different social, emotional, and relational outcome variables when compared with six other family-of-origin types. The results reveal numerous, consistent differences, especially between the children of women who have had a lesbian relationship and those with still-married (heterosexual) biological parents. The results are typically robust in multivariate contexts as well, suggesting far greater diversity in lesbian-parent household experiences than convenience-sample studies of lesbian families have revealed. The NFSS proves to be an illuminating, versatile dataset that can assist family scholars in understanding the long reach of family structure and transitions.
    Highlights

► The New Family Structures Study collected data from nearly 3000 adults. ► I compare young adults who grew up with a lesbian mother or gay father. ► Differences exist between children of parents who have had same-sex relationships and those with married parents. ► This probability study suggests considerable diversity among same-sex parents.

It hasn't been proven that the Vulcans haven't made first contact either.

What's a heterosexual family? What qualifications and standards are imposed upon them for parenthood?
    Since you want to be an asshole, a family where there is a female mommy and a male daddy who are married to each other.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Since this topic has turned to same sex parenting and it's effects on the children of such unions ...

Will give you my 2 cents worth.

My biggest problem with this is (aside from any religious aspect) is that with all that children have to contend with in growing up these days ... does not this being "different" from a huge majority of their class mates/friends, put even more stress on them to "fit in?"

Fitting in is a very important factor in their young lives, and to me this additional stress seems very unfair.

~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Since this topic has turned to same sex parenting and it's effects on the children of such unions ...

Will give you my 2 cents worth.

My biggest problem with this is (aside from any religious aspect) is that with all that children have to contend with in growing up these days ... does not this being "different" from a huge majority of their class mates/friends, put even more stress on them to "fit in?"

Fitting in is a very important factor in their young lives, and to me this additional stress seems very unfair.

~ ABC
    IN response to your concern, my understanding is that it's not much of an issue in coastal suburbia. Acceptance of gay people, while not infallibly variable with education and economic achievement, does tend to rise with both.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    But there is a study: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...49089X12000610

Nova saw my previous post with the study. He's just ignoring it and the LTTE that I posted with it on page 1.
    I'm glad you think you have something there. Surely it gives you comfort. On the other hand, Democratic UNderground is chock full of people who are completely convinced that biased work by biased academics (often far out of their titled field) is sufficient evidence that Global Warming is concrete science.

One more time: For a people study to be accurate, the sample has to be representative. Regnerus admitted that his sample wasn't representative, even if he continued to claim that his results were relevant.

"Iíd be more careful about the language I used to describe people whose parents had same-sex relationships," Regenus told the magazine. "I said 'lesbian mothers' and 'gay fathers,' when in fact, I donít know about their sexual orientation; I do know about their same-sex relationship behavior."

I realize that the urge to believe that which you think supports your case is strong, but don't embarrass yourself. Regnerus didn't study two parent same sex couples and their children in intact families. He counted everyone as "gay parent" who had ever had sex or a relationship with a person of the same sex. If it makes sense to you to compare that to a Mr and Mrs Cleaver Standard then you aren't interested in a serious discussion.

Acceptance of gay people, while not infallibly variable with education and economic achievement, does tend to rise with both.
    Did you really just say that? That's hilarious.
    Be Not Afraid.