Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 I am a (relative) liberal - ask me anything 
    Hello!

I was inspired by a conservative who opened a similar topic on a left-leaning (though non-political) forum. Here's the link to the thread, for those who are curious: http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/view...opic_id=332409

To copy his tagline: If there is anything that a member of CU would sincerely like to ask regarding either liberal beliefs or justifications thereof, I'd like to answer to the best of my ability.

As a caveat, I can't possibly speak for all liberals, and in many cases I won't even agree with them. Unlike the original poster of the linked thread, I am not involved in politics - my motive isn't to convert people to my way of thinking, even if I were articulate enough to be capable of this. But it will certainly be an interesting experience for me, and perhaps for others here as well.

In case it is helpful, here is a bit of information about myself.

Demographics: Young, male, non-religious engineer living in the Chicago suburbs.

Politics: One of the more fitting summarizations of my views I've read recently was Post-Modern group from Pew (http://www.people-press.org/2011/05/...roup-profiles/). I've voted for the last two libertarian candidates for president, mostly out of wishing there was a viable third party. In midterms and local elections I tend to side with Democratic candidates. I don't consider Obama to be a particularly good or particularly bad president. Of the 2012 GOP presidential candidates, Huntsman was the only one who would have gotten my vote; Romney and Paul were ok. I disliked the rest of the field to varying degrees.

I will start with a simple question: Why do liberals hate baby's but love convicted murderers?

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    I will start with a simple question: Why do liberals hate baby's but love convicted murderers?
    Their are shitloads of hypocrisy on the left.

Maybe the OP can watch this and list all the Fail and Cognitive dissonance on display.

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

I would only ask WHY are you a quasi-liberal?

You state that you are an engineer by profession (as am I), and by definition engineers are thinking people, with their cognative processes firmly rooted in facts.........

Liberalism is the antithesis of cognitive thought.......liberalism is firmly rooted in emotion, not the quest for truth. Liberals make up their own "facts and truth" as they go along, or bend them to fit their agenda.......unless you eventually develop some political maturity, and if you allow your admittedly ambivilant political philosophies to color your career......you'll make a lousy engineer...........

doc

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    I am indeed pro-choice, and I'm willing to go into that if people would like - not sure I would call it a 'simple' issue, however. I genuinely don't know what you're referencing with the second part - I personally have no love of convicted murderers

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Their are shitloads of hypocrisy on the left.
    Maybe the OP can watch this and list all the Fail and Cognitive dissonance on display.
    Don't worry, these people make me cringe too.

I just have a difficult time envisioning how anyone who can count beyond 10 with his shoes on and rationally observe the legacy of liberal social policies from LBJ onward can avoid becoming at least a fiscal Conservative, Social Conservative and Libertarian Conservative issues aside.

Quote Originally Posted by TVDOC View Post
    I would only ask WHY are you a quasi-liberal?

You state that you are an engineer by profession (as am I), and by definition engineers are thinking people, with their cognative processes firmly rooted in facts.........

Liberalism is the antithesis of cognitive thought.......liberalism is firmly rooted in emotion, not the quest for truth. Liberals make up their own "facts and truth" as they go along, or bend them to fit their agenda.......unless you eventually develop some political maturity, and if you allow your admittedly ambivilant political philosophies color your career......you'll make a lousy engineer...........

doc
    To me, the tendency to seek or shape information to fit one's current viewpoint or agenda is simply a human trait, not a liberal or conservative thing. I absolutely agree that it is critical to overcome it in the engineering profession. I suppose if I could see some evidence that being liberal makes one worse at this, I would consider it. But as it stands, I don't see why this would be the case.

I don't think many politicians are outright lying through their teeth, but folks on both sides of the aisle twist facts into talking points that don't withstand even the most cursory examination. I'm sure you all can point to countless examples of Democrats doing this that I would agree with (Obama's sequester fear-mongering is a recent example); I consider Bachmann to be one of the worse examples of this on the conservative side.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    I just have a difficult time envisioning how anyone who can count beyond 10 with his shoes on and rationally observe the legacy of liberal social policies from LBJ onward can avoid becoming at least a fiscal Conservative, Social Conservative and Libertarian Conservative issues aside.
    I do not have firm views on fiscal policy; it's probably the topic I'm most interested in hearing about here.

Here's my starting point: I know enough about economics to know I don't know nearly enough about economics. We like to assume people are rational but they often aren't. We have tons of economics 'experts' who have organized themselves into tribes and throw rocks at each-other.

With so many variables involved in economics, it is difficult to really see what causes and effects are. Was Clinton our best fiscal president for having budget surpluses? Was he just lucky for being president during a bull market? Or was he actually bad for contributing to the events leading up to the 2007 collapse?

I'm guessing the first question wouldn't get a 'yes' here, but my point is that there are so many ways to slice data that it's easy for anyone to find some pattern that fits their preconceptions and run with it.

The debt does concern me somewhat, but I don't find analogies between government spending and household spending compelling. When the interest rates the US government gets are so low, it's seems almost impossible that the government wouldn't be able to get a better return on investment than that by borrowing, even if it is less efficient at spending money than corporations. So the answer isn't to have no debt. I can't tell you where I think we should draw the line, though.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    I'll add some, and I'll use actual recent news items.

Why is it the responsibility for tax payers to fund sex change operations? Its not necessary to save any one's life.

Why is it the majority of violent people who act in this manor coming from the compassionate tolerant left? Last 10 major shootings, overwhelmingly have been committed by leftest. Why is that?

Why is it evil and completely unacceptable for ordinary people to own a firearm for their family's protection, but those who are calling to get rid of guns the one's surrounded by, and committing some of the worst with them?

Didn't Obama save the eccon? Is it not in a roaring recovery as he stated time and again thanks to his quick actions? Then why are those on food-stamps skyrocketing?
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Tarnation, Epi ...

You haven't at the moment shown yourself to have enough "cranial-rectal inversion" to put to you my favorite questions.

Will just keep reading this thread and see where it goes.

Kudos to you anyway, for posting this topic in the first place.

~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Why do you support a political philosophy that has failed every time it's been tried?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.