Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    you forgot
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

a few more

I think that there is more here than meets the eye when it comes to ministers expressing their views on political candidate and the opposition to it. Why don't we take this a step further? Why not silence all those who receive federal money as well? Why should they influence others with their opinions if on party favors giving them money over another.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

good point. Churches don't take Government money. Why should they be silenced while those living off the largess of the government are not?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    good point. Churches don't take Government money. Why should they be silenced while those living off the largess of the government are not?
    By being tax exempt, the do take government money. Again, the simplest solution is to revoke the tax exempt status for churches (of all denominations) and let them do what they please.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    By being tax exempt, the do take government money. Again, the simplest solution is to revoke the tax exempt status for churches (of all denominations) and let them do what they please.
    Nooooo. Are you stupid or what? You really are a leftist aren't ya. By being tax exempt they don't give the government THEIR money. Only a dim would say something so stupid.

Goldwater
    Nooooo. Are you stupid or what? You really are a leftist aren't ya. By being tax exempt they don't give the government THEIR money. Only a dim would say something so stupid.
    They still get special treatment in tax. While they're not giving the government money, the government is favoring them.

lol we wouldn't have a country if not for ministers taking to their pulpits and "heavily intertwin[ing]" politics with clergy.
    There is that and then perhaps even Hospitals, Universities, Libraries , etc etc. The deniers don't realize the impact "Churches" have had on Civilization.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Banned
    It's only their money if the money I make off of my business is ALSO my money and if the money GM makes (do they still make money?) is their money. Corporations pay taxes in the US for the benefit of using the services and protections provided by the US. If you're suggesting we eliminate all corporate taxes, then that's an interesting take on the subject and would have a few implications that might need considering prior to execution. However, if you're not, then churches, which in the modern era are businesses, should pay taxes like any other business. Then they could say and do what they please (within normal legal boundaries, of course).