Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 111
  1. #21  
    Senior Member MrsSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,393
    Churches in the US should be like those in Finland and some other European countries, supported by tax dollars. As a large percentage of titihing church members are unable to take the tax deductions for their tithes, a 2% country-wide church tax, like the one in Finland that is used to support their churches, would make up for that lack. This would allow churches to support even more food pantries, homeless shelters, pregnancy centers, and disaster relief programs.
    -
    -
    -

    In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

    Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,464
    Including mosques, eh?

    Financial support of any religion by the state is completely inappropriate.

    And why can't they take tax deductions for their tithes?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Senior Member MrsSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,393
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Including mosques, eh?

    Financial support of any religion by the state is completely inappropriate.

    And why can't they take tax deductions for their tithes?

    You have to have enough deductions to itemize.

    Financial support by the state is no more inappropriate than the silencing of free speech on private property by the threat of taxation.

    Financial support by the state was fully legal when our country was founded. Taxing churches wasn't even considered until the 1950's.
    -
    -
    -

    In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

    Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,464
    If they're truly tithing, they should have enough to itemize. If they're just doing the 1040 EZ form, that's not my problem as a taxpayer. I've itemized every year I've filed taxes, and that's a lot of years.

    So you're willing to support any and all religions with funding from the state? I'm not, and I'm sure I'm not alone on this board in that.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hartford, CT USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    If they're truly tithing, they should have enough to itemize. If they're just doing the 1040 EZ form, that's not my problem as a taxpayer. I've itemized every year I've filed taxes, and that's a lot of years.

    So you're willing to support any and all religions with funding from the state? I'm not, and I'm sure I'm not alone on this board in that.
    You rang? (Sorry, I know you don't like Maynard jokes). :D

    It's amazing that conservatives can favor things like (1) a constitutional amendment against abortion, (2) a constitutional amendment against same sex marriage, and (3) additional taxes to be distributed to churches. And, oh yes, other parts of their agenda include police authorities for random, no-probable-cause searches, warrantless wiretaps, the War on Drugs, the War on Terror, etc. ad infinitum. But, unlike the evil liberals, they're in favor of "less government," "lower taxes," and "personal liberty." Riiight...

    (you know what's coming :D)

    Two sides. Same coin.
    Last edited by Cold Warrior; 09-28-2008 at 04:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,464
    And she never answered the "including mosques?" question.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    Senior Member MrsSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,393
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    If they're truly tithing, they should have enough to itemize. If they're just doing the 1040 EZ form, that's not my problem as a taxpayer. I've itemized every year I've filed taxes, and that's a lot of years.

    So you're willing to support any and all religions with funding from the state? I'm not, and I'm sure I'm not alone on this board in that.
    If they have no children, are self-employed, and/or have either a huge mortgage or large medical bills, they can probably itemize. Most can't. Even with only one child left at home, we can't itemize.

    I'm more willing to support all religions than to see even more government interference with our First Amendment rights to free speech and the free exercise of religion. The founders were very concerned with keeping government out of religion. Unfortunately, the "wall of separation" has been built a mile high from the religious side, and an inch high from the government side...allowing the government to step over it with impunity and regulate anything they choose.
    -
    -
    -

    In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

    Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    Senior Member MrsSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    You rang? (Sorry, I know you don't like Maynard jokes). :D

    It's amazing that conservatives can favor things like (1) a constitutional amendment against abortion, (2) a constitutional amendment against same sex marriage, and (3) additional taxes to be distributed to churches. And, oh yes, other parts of their agenda include police authorities for random, no-probable-cause searches, warrantless wiretaps, the War on Drugs, the War on Terror, etc. ad infinitum. But, unlike the evil liberals, they're in favor of "less government," "lower taxes," and "personal liberty." Riiight...

    (you know what's coming :D)

    Two sides. Same coin.
    So weird, that we'd like to see murder made illegal, marriage to stay marriage instead of "whoever I'm jumping into bed with," and government upholding instead of destroying our First Amendment. Yep. Weird. Totally. :D
    -
    -
    -

    In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

    Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,464
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    I'm more willing to support all religions than to see even more government interference with our First Amendment rights to free speech and the free exercise of religion.
    I don't see that as an "either/or" choice. We don't get credit for all of our itemizing because the government thinks we make too much money in order to benefit that much. I don't stiff my church, my prep school, or my charities because the government doesn't let me have all the credit for it, and you shouldn't either.

    You shouldn't expect me to support your church any more than I should support your charities. That's money you give because you believe in the gift.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hartford, CT USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    So weird, that we'd like to see murder made illegal, marriage to stay marriage instead of "whoever I'm jumping into bed with," and government upholding instead of destroying our First Amendment. Yep. Weird. Totally. :D
    Or, to look at it another way, you'd like to dictate what a woman can do with her body, you'd like to preserve an insitutuion that has only existed in its current form for a hundred years or so in order to restrict the rights of those you find morally offensive, and you'd like to sponsor the foundations of a state theocracy. And you want that insitution that you so hate, the federal government, to enforce your agenda.

    Actually, not weird. Totally predictable.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •