Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm assuming the $710 is SSI benefits. Why isn't he getting food stamps to help with groceries?
    I'm rather suspecting that he does and hasn't mentioned it.

Why does he have such a high copay on his meds, is he asking for name brands instead of generics? Medicaid should cover it if it's necessary.
    That's the part that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If he has a co-pay, then by definition he has some manner of health insurance. Medicaid, AFAIK, covers Rx.

His Section 8 deal sucks if he's renting in government housing. $209? He could find cheaper housing than that.
    I still haven't figured out what a "HUD cube" is. I will say that I was surprised to find lately how rare it is to find any non-subsidized housing around here for less than about $400/month when I was helping a friend look for something. Even just rented rooms tend to be $300/month or more, usually with some kick-in on utilities.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Proof? Linky?

You're out of touch. I struggled since 2005 to get a real job (real job as in full time and so forth). Nothing like being stuck in part time retail, substitute teaching (where they won't hire you permanently due to some union protection of the person who admits they won't come back). I admit I did get a convenience store clerk full time along with sales. I wasn't cut out for either one of them. Anyway, I know the application process. VERY RARELY did I fill out a paper application. I don't need a link. I know.

Nope and the bolded above in YOUR statement proves that.
    Did you not read the part where I said that not everybody has the same local resources? Did you not read where I said my employment office only allows two hours per day? (only time enough to fill out two to three applications).

Food...shelter...THOSE are examples of necessities. Cell phones internet and cable TV are not.

And FWIW...you can get a basic hard wired phone with no call waiting or voice mail or any other bell or whistle in most places for about $15.
    FWIW, I don't really believe we should spend government money on helping people get cell phones. The line has to be drawn somewhere. I just object to this idea that one should get rid of their phone to save money.

How much more do you want them to pay before it's ok with you?
    Actually, I think it might be good re-prioritize before figuring out if more taxes are necessary. There are lots of BETTER places to cut back than social security and disability. I agree with Romney when he said we don't need to be spending money on PBS. They get a lot of private funding anyway. I'm sure they can successfully do private fund drives. We should cut the pay of those in congress and senate. They're not doing a good job. Why do they deserve a raise? We need to stop giving them a pay check after they're no longer working for us. You want to talk about freeloading? That's freeloading. We can stop bailing out banks. I'm not saying not to bail them out whenever the country is about go into a depression or whatever, but don't give them a cushion for when they want to foreclose on a home. They work out rates they know darn well the customer can't pay, and then instead of working out another payment plan, they take a bail out from the government and then sell the house for a thousand dollars. Freeloading. I'd love to see Republicans gripe about that as much as they do the poor.

No we know why. Cause you're an idiot. You'd rather give up your independence and have the Government step in and do everything for you.

No REAL independent would want the government to be in our lives as much as you do.
    Define not wanting the government in our lives, Tx. I made the dumb mistake of voting for Republicans in 2010. First, they did the marriage vote (which affects a lot more than just gays). Now, they've passed (or about to pass) a law saying couples have to wait two years before getting a divorce. Sounds good unless the partner is abusive and your really need to get away. Now, they're talking about challenging the federal government and having an official state establishment of religion.

And then, there was the Republican I voted for as sheriff years ago that turned out to be a complete crook. Why is it if I vote Republican, I feel like I'm choking later? Don't tell me that they're not for intrusion.

You're just too chicken shit to admit you're a hard core Lib just like your friends on DU.
    I used to be. Actually, I used to criticize DU as not being leftist enough. Then I grew a heart and moved more to the center.

Now run along and whine some more about how mean I am cause I don't fall for your bullshit.
    At least I did something to earn it in this thread. I had a wild hair up my ass last night.

I'll get to others later. I have to go to work. I finally got that full time job with benefits and I'm not going back to hour long computer applications.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    But yet you will pay for a woman to kill her baby. Nice logic there ... Stupid liberals ....
    No, I won't, not voluntarily anyway. That's another place where we can cut back, but the Dem in me would want to put the money toward women's healthcare. Works for TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    What was wrong with her phone? You can dial, and reach, 911 from any telephone in the country, even if that phone has no service.
    The problem with my mother's phone was that she had no phone at time. It was the middle of the night. There were no pay phones near by (and btw, there are no pay phone near by hardly anywhere now). She had to beg her neighbors to let her borrow the phone. Not an easy thing to do in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    The problem with my mother's phone was that she had no phone at time. It was the middle of the night. There were no pay phones near by (and btw, there are no pay phone near by hardly anywhere now). She had to beg her neighbors to let her borrow the phone. Not an easy thing to do in the middle of the night.
    Once again: every single telephone in the United States, be they cell phones or landlines, can dial 911 at any time, even if they are out of service. Been that way since at least 2001. You could literally (and it has happened on more than one occasion) pick up a discarded phone on the sidewalk somewhere and dial 911 and you would get through to emergency dispatchers.

So, once again, what was wrong with her phone?
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    Once again: every single telephone in the United States, be they cell phones or landlines, can dial 911 at any time, even if they are out of service. Been that way since at least 2001. You could literally (and it has happened on more than one occasion) pick up a discarded phone on the sidewalk somewhere and dial 911 and you would get through to emergency dispatchers.

So, once again, what was wrong with her phone?

Lanie is once again proven wrong :(
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Before my family got a phone, my parents were able to get jobs. They were usually hired the day they filled out an application. That usually doesn't happen anymore. You have to have a contact number when you fill out an application.

Also, try getting help when you have no phone sometime. My father once needed an ambulance in the middle of the night and my mother had to scream and beg to be let in to borrow the phone. People were not opening the door at first. Don't tell me phones are not necessary. Not having one can cost you your life in the right circumstances.

Internet is important if you are looking for a job. Nearly every employer, right down to some of these fast food places are requiring an application to be filled out online. The employment office down the street form where I live allows people up to two hours on their computers to fill out applications (which isn't much time when you consider how long it takes to fill out an application, you might be two or three done at the most). Our library allows up to four hours.

A friend of mine from Florida would have to travel almost forty-five minutes from where he lived to get on a computer to fill out applications. Apparently, my area has resources that aren't so readily available in some of the other areas.

So, let me get this straight. People don't need a phone or internet even though one can save your life and the other is practically a requirement to get a job. However, it's a big, huge tragedy if the rich pay more in taxes? Okie dokie. And you wonder why I'm a Democrat. Not really a Democrat. An independent, but I can't bring myself to vote Republican and junk like this is why.
    Any cell phone that is charged is able to call 911, with or without a service plan.

The local library and unemployment offices have computers the unemployed can use. Sure you might have to actually take a shower, get dressed and leave the house, but it's available.

Of course this person on DU is not looking for job, so why do they need the internet again?

And yet Republicans have never been able to prove that's the case with most recipients. If you had ever tried to get assistance, you'd know how hard it is to get it. You can't just walk in and get it. You have to prove that you're po working your way up to poor. You often have to show where your own money is going with receipts. If one of those receipts is cable television, that counts against the person asking for help. It's nowhere near as easy as you all make it out to be.

I'm still waiting to see the welfare queen in the mercedes binz.
    Wow, you actually have to prove you need help? They just don't throw money at you like most liberals would prefer?

I'm sure she had to beg if it was a real emergency. Or was the neighbor tired of your family mooching off of them by using their phone all the time? Drama much?

And yet Republicans have never been able to prove that's the case with most recipients. If you had ever tried to get assistance, you'd know how hard it is to get it. You can't just walk in and get it. You have to prove that you're po working your way up to poor. You often have to show where your own money is going with receipts. If one of those receipts is cable television, that counts against the person asking for help. It's nowhere near as easy as you all make it out to be.

I'm still waiting to see the welfare queen in the mercedes binz.
    Under Medicaid and EBT applications, cable television is considered a utility just like lights, gas and water.