1. #1 Has anyone here ever witnessed a shooting? Or, Nadin the Gunslinger 
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022634843

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 11:21 AM

Tommy_Carcetti (15,955 posts)

Has anyone here ever witnessed a shooting?

And for the purposes of discussion, I'm excluding wartime combat and going to target ranges or hunting. I'm thinking more along the lines of homicides and attempted homicides.

The reason I'm asking is that, as I alluded to last week, there was a shooting at my office building. It was a murder-suicide where a husband came into the office next to ours, shot his wife and then shot himself. I did not actually see it take place with my own two eyes, but I most definitely did hear it. And given that it was heard and not seen for me left me with a temporary sense of uncertainty as to whether or not the shooter was still alive and on the loose, which was unsettling to say the least.

The shooter owned his gun legally and was a well-respected member of the community. He was far from a typical psychopath or a reprobate felon.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I'm not overly traumatized by it, but I'm still rather bothered by it. I did hear two people's lives suddenly and violently come to an end, and that's just bizarre when thinking about in retrospect.

But for anyone else so unfortunate to have witnessed (either visually or audibly) such an event, what were your feelings? Was there a sense of fear? What was your first reaction? What was going through your head, both when it took place and afterwards?

I heard one of my co-workers remark that she couldn't get the sounds of the gunshots out of her head. For me, the only other time I've heard live gun-fire goes back to where I grew up, in a rural area where I would occasionally hear hunters shooting in the woods. This sounded different from that, though, and from what gun shots sounded like on TV--this was higher pitched sound, less of an echo or reverberation, like a "pop". It did sound a lot like firecrackers. But the craziest thing was, when I heard it, I knew it was gunfire and not firecrackers--I immediately thought that it was much more plausible that someone would be shooting a gun in our building than setting off firecrackers. Goes to show the crazy world we're living in, I guess.

Response to Tommy_Carcetti (Original post)

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 11:29 AM

nadinbrzezinski (118,274 posts)

2. Tom, what you experienced is worst

That the bullet that went through my rig at a shootout with the Arellanos. (It missed me by three inches, and the Oxygen regulator by a mere inch)

I expected that. It's a shootout with the army, in a civilian neighborhood. Both sides are using M-16s and Ak47 weapons...thankfully nobody used the 50cal.

Being bothered by it is very normal. Having talked to many survivors (relative was shot and killed or injured), at times near them...this is perfectly normal now talking about it is extremely healthy, and what you need to do.

As to wrapping your head around it...you might, someday. But processing the fact that a human being killed another is not easy, and that goes even for military personnel. This is why war indelibly changes them. And why never deployed troops are tough talking, never bother me, and returned troops are changed forever.

All I can tell you is talk about it, and believe it or not, now you share a little with combat vets.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link herePermalink

Oh, you's a Killah, Bunny.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    nadin...Hardened Kombat Cub Reporter / Kombat EMT / Kombat Parrot Protector

May the FORCE be with you!

I've never actually witnessed one person shooting another. I have witnessed several residents of my former neighborhood in Detroit shooting rats during the week when the city replaced dumpsters in the alley with plastic garbage cans on wheels. I was not traumatized, although the guy at night who was walking up and down the street shooting them freaked me out a little, just because I could see the light from the gunshots through the curtains.

4. #4 I shot two punks at point blank range with rat shot... 
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I've never actually witnessed one person shooting another. I have witnessed several residents of my former neighborhood in Detroit shooting rats during the week when the city replaced dumpsters in the alley with plastic garbage cans on wheels. I was not traumatized, although the guy at night who was walking up and down the street shooting them freaked me out a little, just because I could see the light from the gunshots through the curtains.

But that really doesn't count as a real shooting. It was more of an attitude adjustment. They were threatening a friend of mines girl friend with physical violence and then they threatened me with the same. Fourtunately for them we were at a local fishing hole and I had just unloaded my revolver's .22 hollowpoints and loaded the ratshot rounds due to there being lots of snakes in the area. They were armed with large sticks and one had one of those huge serrated blade Rambo knives with a compass on the handle.

They didn't see the gun until they had already broke one of my tail lights out and closed to within 5 feet. At that time I started shooting first one than the other and only stopped when I emptied my nine shot H&R.22. To be truthful I rather enjoyed doing it but I was younger and meaner in those days. I was a floor hand on a drilling rig (a roughneck). Drinking and shooting were de riguer at the time. Thank God that I survived my own foolishness.
    Last edited by Jim54; 04-08-2013 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling and clarification
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

I saw a guy get shot (and killed) at a bar in the town I used to live. The guy who got shot was a thief and had broken into another guy's house. He came into the bar and, when he realized the owner of the house was there and coming after him, he pulled out a .25 he had stolen from the owner and started shooting. The owner of the house pulled out a 357 and shot back,... once. That was all it took. The dead guy was pretty well known as a thief and when the cops came they could not find anyone who said the shooting was unjustified.