Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Michigan Students Need Signed Permission Slips To See Sen. Rick Santorum Speak 
    Don't know if you heard this story but Rick Santorum was scheduled to speak at Grosse Pointe High School in Michigan but the superintendent cancelled the appearance because of Santorum's "extreme" views on gay marriage. Well, the speech is back on but students must get a permission slip signed by their parents in order to see the speech. http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...back_on_a.html
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Grosse Pointe is a very wealthy, republican area of suburban Detroit. It's more establishment republicans, though. It's where the old money is.

At the end of "Gran Torino", the kid is driving the car up Lake Shore Drive in Grosse Pointe Shores, which is lined on one side with beautiful mansions that are architectural treasures, and on the other side is Lake St. Clair.

Power CUer
    Apparently Santorum was asked for the text of his remarks in advance, and refused to provide them.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Don't know if you heard this story but Rick Santorum was scheduled to speak at Grosse Pointe High School in Michigan but the superintendent cancelled the appearance because of Santorum's "extreme" views on gay marriage. Well, the speech is back on but students must get a permission slip signed by their parents in order to see the speech. http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...back_on_a.html
    It's about not making parents angry. There are some schools here in which if somebody for gay marriage (even President Obama himself) wanted to speak there, it would either be blocked or parental permission slips would be sent out. It's about covering your butt.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Apparently Santorum was asked for the text of his remarks in advance, and refused to provide them.
    Since when is this a requirement or is this only reserved for conservatives.

If that was a liberal trying to shove evolution down the kids throats, the school would be forcing them listen to him. But since Santorum is a republican and disagrees with gay marriage, they don't want the kids to listen to him. Apparently the school has been indoctrinating the kids into thinking that gay marriage is o.k and that everything the bible teaches is wrong. Good one there, Michigan ...

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

Power CUer
    Since when is this a requirement or is this only reserved for conservatives.
    I have no way of knowing what that school district specifically requires, any more than you do.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I have no way of knowing what that school district specifically requires, any more than you do.
    Then why bring it up?

Power CUer
    Then why bring it up?
    As a possible explanation for why he was "denied his free speech rights!!!!"

Bob Dutko was talking about this at lunchtime, when I was driving around to the credit union and the Pita Cafe. According to him, the people who objected to Santorum speaking were the teachers, not the students or the parents, and that the topic of the proposed speech was apolitical-it was to be about leadership and public service. A black conservative student invited him to speak, which makes any cries about Santorum's alleged racism moot.

In the olden days of the late 70s and early 80s, my high school had the right policy. When speakers come to the school to talk about politics, if you had a liberal speak, you had to invite a conservative to present that side. And vice versa.

So, one day we had the director of the Michigan Moral Majority come and speak to us, and two days later, someone from the ACLU came in to speak. In my sociology class, one day we had a RTL speaker, and the next day we had one from PP.

If everything Bob Dutko said is true, then I have to say that the school is way off base on this. I'm not a conservative, but if the topics of the speech are leadership and public service, does it really matter whether the person is D or R? And, if it does matter, just have some liberal politician come in and give a speech on the same topic another day.