Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1 42/Jackie Robinson Day 
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,422
    Today is April 15, Jackie Robinson Day on the baseball calendar. My husband and I saw "42" yesterday, and once again mused that we always enjoy sports movies, but not actual sports. I think I've figured it out. Real games need to have stirring orchestral music as players round the bases or make the big touchdown, and they need to edit out all the long boring hours of no action and just leave the moments of triumph or defeat. That would do it. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,155
    I think you are fibbing, the real problem you have with sports is that they don't serve champagne and caviar at said events oh and that you would have to mingle with the unwashed masses.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I think you are fibbing, the real problem you have with sports is that they don't serve champagne and caviar at said events oh and that you would have to mingle with the unwashed masses.
    Not true! For many years we went to the Gold Cup steeplechase races in Virginia Hunt country, and had space along the rail where we had lots of food and drink, including champagne. The cost of rail space precluded the "unwashed masses". :) I've also been to a lot of tailgate events before (and during) college football games. No, it's the "waiting for something, Dear God, anything," to happen at sports events that gets to you after awhile.
    So, did you see the movie, or do you plan to?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,155
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Not true! For many years we went to the Gold Cup steeplechase races in Virginia Hunt country, and had space along the rail where we had lots of food and drink, including champagne. The cost of rail space precluded the "unwashed masses". :) I've also been to a lot of tailgate events before (and during) college football games. No, it's the "waiting for something, Dear God, anything," to happen at sports events that gets to you after awhile.
    So, did you see the movie, or do you plan to?
    I will see it when it comes on cable, I will not pay for a dose of white guilt.


    I have been to many a pro football game and I never found it boring (except when my team got blown out). I guess I just enjoyed being out and about.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,422
    I didn't think it served up "white guilt"; it showed what the times were like. If I can fault it, it had the sort of "white savior" theme that some of these movies tend to have - in "Mississippi Burning", the valiant white FBI agents solve the case. In "Ghosts of Mississippi", the valiant white prosecutor ties up the loose ends on the Medgar Evers murder. In this one, Branch Rickey is given completely altruistic reasons for wanting to integrate baseball, when in fact he was a good businessman as much as anything else. Harrison Ford gave a very good performance, though, and I guess for those who knew Rickey the resemblance is breathtaking.

    And I didn't know Leo Durocher was such a hound dog in his younger days. ;)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,155
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I didn't think it served up "white guilt"; it showed what the times were like. If I can fault it, it had the sort of "white savior" theme that some of these movies tend to have - in "Mississippi Burning", the valiant white FBI agents solve the case. In "Ghosts of Mississippi", the valiant white prosecutor ties up the loose ends on the Medgar Evers murder. In this one, Branch Rickey is given completely altruistic reasons for wanting to integrate baseball, when in fact he was a good businessman as much as anything else. Harrison Ford gave a very good performance, though, and I guess for those who knew Rickey the resemblance is breathtaking.

    And I didn't know Leo Durocher was such a hound dog in his younger days. ;)
    Well you were probably friends with Leo weren't you? How come you didn't know about that? :D
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Well you were probably friends with Leo weren't you? How come you didn't know about that? :D
    What a silly thing to say. Why would I know him??
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Rebel Yell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    5,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

    I have been to many a pro football game and I never found it boring (except when my team got blown out). I guess I just enjoyed being out and about.
    You think NFL games are fun, you should go a college game.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    You think NFL games are fun, you should go a college game.
    I would love to but the only games around me are temple and rutgers :(
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Rebel Yell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    5,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I would love to but the only games around me are temple and rutgers :(
    That sucks. Better stick with the NFL then.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •