Thread: Baby's Latest: Going Diaperless, at Home or Even in the Park

1. #1 Baby's Latest: Going Diaperless, at Home or Even in the Park 
    Ok, this is one time when I agree with most of the DUmmies.

Baby's Latest: Going Diaperless, at Home or Even in the Park

Liberal_in_LA (28,402 posts)

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/04/19...n-the-park.xml Baby's Latest: Going Diaperless, at Home or Even in the Park

When Jada Shapiro decided to raise her daughter from birth without diapers, for the most part, not everyone was amused. Ms. Shapiro scattered little bowls around the house to catch her daughter's offerings, and her sister insisted that she use a big, dark marker to mark the bowls so that they could never find their way back to the kitchen.

"My sister wasn't a huge fan," she said on Thursday.

But "elimination communication," as the diaper-free method of child-rearing is called, is finding an audience in the hipper precincts of New York City.

Ms. Shapiro, who is a doula, a birth and child-rearing coach, says it is practically now a job qualification to at least be able to offer diaper-free training as an option to clients. Caribou Baby, an "eco-friendly maternity, baby and lifestyle store" on the border of artsy Greenpoint and Williamsburg, has been drawing capacity crowds to its diaper-free "Meetups," where parents exchange tips like how to get a baby to urinate on the street between parked cars.

Parents are drawn to the method as a way of preserving the environment from the ravages of disposable diapers, as well as reducing the laundering of cloth diapers and preventing diaper rash. Many of them like the thought that they are rediscovering an ancient practice used in other cultures, though they tend to gloss over the fact that many of those cultures had never heard of Pampers. But mostly, they say, they like feeling more in touch with their babies' most intimate functions.

"I think for a lot of parents, the motivation is just to be more in tune with what their kids' needs are," Adriane Stare, proprietor of Caribou Baby and herself a diaper-free mother, said on Thursday, about a week after holding her most recent meetup. Another meeting was written about on Thursday on the news Web site dnainfo.com; the next is May 14.

Ms. Stare said she "E.C.'d" her oldest son, Damien, who is now almost 4, and is doing it again with her second boy, Loren, who is almost 4 months old. Ms. Stare watched for cues that meant her baby needed to go to the bathroom or was going to the bathroom, like a certain cry or squirming or a grimace. Then, she began associating those cues with her own noises, like "sss," or grunting. After a while she could make those noises - the elimination communication - to the baby while holding him over the toilet or the sink for perhaps 20 seconds, and he would go to the bathroom on command or refuse if he was not ready.

Well thats gotta be colorfull and stinky. Pretty gross way to raise a child. Would think it bordered on neglect and endangerment.
    It would bring finger painting to a new level!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    ROCK!!!!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Fabulous Poster
    Back in the 1980's they said "cocaine is god's way of telling you that you have too much money".

I will amend that. If you can afford a "doula" or any of these other bullshit purveyors (Andy Warhol called it "paying people to touch you") , or if you are a parent who has no job but has a nanny, it's God's way of telling you that you have too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Back in the 1980's they said "cocaine is god's way of telling you that you have too much money".

I will amend that. If you can afford a "doula" or any of these other bullshit purveyors (Andy Warhol called it "paying people to touch you") , or if you are a parent who has no job but has a nanny, it's God's way of telling you that you have too much money.
    Agreed. Isn't it nice to know that the educated and well-heeled want to raise their children like Chinese peasants?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Agreed. Isn't it nice to know that the educated and well-heeled want to raise their children like Chinese peasants?
    You phrased it perfectly and much better than I did.

Free range babies?

It's weird. I thought that using cloth diapers was the environmentally correct thing to do, to avoid using plastic products, and to prevent diaper rash from the plastic stuff. Incidentally, my very environmentally correct brother and SIL planned on using flannel diapers that they got at Penney's for their twins. That lasted 3 days, and he ran out and bought a case of Pampers. Not many cities have diaper services anymore, either. I think Grand Rapids is one of the few that does.