Thread: Boston Bomber will not be treated as an enemy combatent.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I agree with you on the first part.

The second largely depends on the role this 19-year-old had. Remember the sniper case, back in 2002. The older man was running the show and the kid (a nephew I believe) was under his influence and control. We may have something similar going on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    All we are saying is give rope a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Remember the sniper case, though. The older sniper was definitely telling the younger guy what to do. Also, from what I've been hearing in this case, the younger Chechen brother spent a lot of his time wasted. Stoner.

Well, we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The sniper case was different. The older man had been a stepfather to the younger one, and had been influencing him/brainwashing him for years. He had cut him off from people who may have intervened and controlled his access to books, music, newspapers/media, and kept him away from school. He created a kind of Manchurian candidate in the kid, and manipulated him into killing people.

This is not the same. The 19 year old appeared to have adjusted well to living
    here-made friends, was liked, etc. His brother never really did, other than that he got married at some point. Even if the older brother did manipulate the younger one into the plot, the younger brother was older than the DC sniper kid when his brother started trying to radicalize him. This young man bears a lot more responsibility for his actions than the kid in the DC sniper case-and I use the terms "man" and "kid" on purpose, because the DC sniper was 17 when he was apprehended, and this guy is 19.

I want to make it clear, though, that I am not overly sympathetic to the DC sniper case, it's just that there is a difference from a psychological or social history kind of standpoint that is probably why that kid got a life sentence and not a death sentence.
    The only major difference between the two cases is that Malvo was a minor when the attacks occurred, although he was old enough to have been tried as an adult and was. He avoided the death penalty because of his age, but he is serving consecutive life sentences. BTW, Malvo was an illegal alien (or Undocumented Democrat, as AP now calls them), something that ought to be discussed when they look at the proposed combined Comprehensive Immigration Reform and Democratic Party Registration Drive Act.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The sniper case was different.
    Yeah, I think you're wrong on that one. 'Different,' sure, but only in degree, not in kind. He may have been a 19-year-old when it actually happened, but his older brother had to have been pretty much his main father figure over the preceding 10 years while they lived here. He's still responsible for his own actions and will have to pay the price for them, but it looks a lot more like the case of something he got sucked into late in the game by the big authority figure in his life rather than something he dove into wholeheartedly from the git-go.

They read the bomber his Miranda Rights, so now he clammed up and won't talk AT ALL.. God I loathe obama, he always messes these things up. I seriously think he does this stuff on purpose.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

Fabulous Poster
    Stealing this.

That has a nice ring to it
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    They read the bomber his Miranda Rights, so now he clammed up and won't talk AT ALL.. God I loathe obama, he always messes these things up. I seriously think he does this stuff on purpose.
    We do not bring honor to our Country by abandoning its core values. Good call.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    We do not bring honor to our Country by abandoning its core values. Good call.
    EH? He is a terrorist. His brother was not a citizen of this country. So if he was still alive, would they also read him his Miranda Rights? Of course they would because Obama is a islamic fanatic sympathizer. Then since he is a Muslim, he would side with them.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

EH? He is a terrorist. His brother was not a citizen of this country. So if he was still alive, would they also read him his Miranda Rights? Of course they would because Obama is a islamic fanatic sympathizer. Then since he is a Muslim, he would side with them.
    His brother is dead so that is irrelevant. And, Dzhokhar is an American citizen. No matter how heinous the crime, he still has rights.

And really with the whole "He would side with the Muslim" comment? Assholes killed 4 people and injured 176. I doubt very seriously POTUS sides with them.

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Yeah, I think you're wrong on that one. 'Different,' sure, but only in degree, not in kind. He may have been a 19-year-old when it actually happened, but his older brother had to have been pretty much his main father figure over the preceding 10 years while they lived here. He's still responsible for his own actions and will have to pay the price for them, but it looks a lot more like the case of something he got sucked into late in the game by the big authority figure in his life rather than something he dove into wholeheartedly from the git-go.

I'm not necessarily arguing for either guy, the Boston bomber or Malvo. The guy from Russia did seem to adjust to life here. He was attending college. He had friends outside of his family circle, and the people who knew him liked him. He had seen and experienced the best American society has to offer for young people, and still chose to attack the country that gave him refuge when he was a child. He had choices, and made the wrong ones.

Malvo's situation was very different and he was isolated from anyone who may have been able influence him for the better. All he knew was a crazy, violent man.

EH? He is a terrorist...
    Seriously, before you start cheering for citizens or lawful permanent residents to be tried outside the Constitutional rights and courts for actions within the US, based on nothing more than slapping a label on the act, you might want to pause for a moment to reflect on exactly who is in the White House and who is the Attorney General.