Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    LOL!! No, that isn't ours. When I take some pics I'll have to add them to the park's page.
    Please do. I would love to see what your dogs look like.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
    We have bags we keep with us all the time (the dispenser is on one of the leashes). They also have stations with bags for those who forget.

We also take water with us as ours shuts down the water fountain from Nov til April. Besides, when they built the lowest one, they theoretically made it for small dogs but not the smallest dogs...it's too high for even our Jack Russel Terrier mix.

We have a BUNCH of them in town...the one we like is the one closest to us...lots of trees and grass. Some have almost no trees for shade. Our county is in collaboration with PetSafe to make sure we have plenty of parks in the area.:
    http://www.petfriendliestcommunity.com/
    http://www.cityofknoxville.org/recreation/dogparks.asp

Those are some nice parks. I used to talk to SLW before we were married when I was at the 17th street park with Xena. Well, other times too.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    Please do. I would love to see what your dogs look like.
    Look at a post from SaintLouieWoman on the bottom. There is a pic of Bella & Darlene, a little one, but it's there.

I'll get some current ones in the near future.

Fabulous Poster
    I wanted to bring them there at an off hour so they could get used to it
    without tons of other dogs, they tend to fill up once people get home
    from work.
    I took Desi to the park when he was 5 months. It was a little too early, and the dachsunds were too friendly so we left after a couple of minutes. The second time, he had a Yorkie and a lab puppy to play with. He ran so hard, the poor little Chihuahua lost his breakfast. The third time I took him to the little dog park near my house and he had it to himself. Perfect! He ran, and ran, and didn't barf. We haven't been in over a month, and now that it's warm enough, I may take him to Ft. Desoto dog beach to see how he likes that.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I took Desi to the park when he was 5 months. It was a little too early, and the dachsunds were too friendly so we left after a couple of minutes. The second time, he had a Yorkie and a lab puppy to play with. He ran so hard, the poor little Chihuahua lost his breakfast. The third time I took him to the little dog park near my house and he had it to himself. Perfect! He ran, and ran, and didn't barf. We haven't been in over a month, and now that it's warm enough, I may take him to Ft. Desoto dog beach to see how he likes that.
    Yeah, I always take the dogs before they eat. One time Xena thought she was done and drank a lot of water but then started running again with a new arrival. She lost all the water...

The only problem I see with this smaller park is the trees and their roots. That's why I want them to be fairly calm the first few times so they don't trip. The 17th Street park doesn't have as much tree cover and the land is flat with nothing to trip them up. They also put in an Agility course a few years back but the greys have no interest in that for the most part. Both parks have plenty of shade, the 17th Street one is just much bigger, it's over 5 acres. Used to be the old City of Sarasota dump. It's just a lot longer drive to get there.

Fabulous Poster
    Yeah, I always take the dogs before they eat. One time Xena thought she was done and drank a lot of water but then started running again with a new arrival. She lost all the water...

The only problem I see with this smaller park is the trees and their roots. That's why I want them to be fairly calm the first few times so they don't trip. The 17th Street park doesn't have as much tree cover and the land is flat with nothing to trip them up. They also put in an Agility course a few years back but the greys have no interest in that for the most part. Both parks have plenty of shade, the 17th Street one is just much bigger, it's over 5 acres. Used to be the old City of Sarasota dump. It's just a lot longer drive to get there.
    My Rottweiler, Portia, loved the dog park and was the friendliest dog in the world. But we had to deal with breed prejudice, and sometimes the helicopter moms got upset that I wasn't keeping Portia away from their timid spaniel puppy. We have a dog park over on Coquina Key which is the unofficial "dangerous breeds" park. Any given afternoon it's full of Rotties, Dobermans, pitbulls, and even the occasional exotic like a Presa Canario. They all have a ball. There was a couple who brought their greyhounds to the bad dog park, and the greyhounds were regal. They watched the goings on from a distance, and moved in tandem wherever they went. They looked at the running pack like, "Oh dear, Smedly, those peasants are running in a pack. Let's stroll the perimeter, shall we?"