Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    They gave me crutches...first time I've ever had them...and I found out I'm not coordinated enough to use them.
    I'm convinced that crutches were invented by Torquemada. We should use those instead of waterboarding in order to get terrorists to talk.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    I was diagnosed with gout about three years ago. I don't remember what they gave me for medication (whatever it was, it was pretty mild), but I do remember the instructions that they gave me, which struck me as odd. I was told specifically to stay away from anything with cranberry in it, be that cranberry sauce like with Thanksgiving dinner, or any variety of cranberry juice. I was also told specifically to drink lots of the cherry-flavored seltzer water that you can get in bottles at the grocery store. I haven't the foggiest of ideas why I was told that, but I did it, and I have to admit that it did clear up in a couple of days doing that.
    I'm glad you mentioned that, I drink the hell out of cranberry juice.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I'm not sure, but I think you are supposed to cut down or stop eating cheese. I know I heard it somewhere, probably either from my mom, the RN or from a news show. Or my late grandpa-he used to get all these newsletters from the Mayo Clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned that, I drink the hell out of cranberry juice.
    So I take it the pee thing didn't work?!

Oh crap my bad! I just read on the internet that drinking pee is bad for the grout!

It is caused by elevated levels of uric acid in the blood
    Most uric acid dissolves in blood and travels to the kidneys, where it passes out in urine
    Don'r drink pee.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Husband has gout...diagnosed in his mid 40's so it's not just OLD people (okay, depends on how you define OLD people!). He was given Colchicine for it.

Gout is caused by having higher-than-normal levels of uric acid in your body. This may occur if:

Your body makes too much uric acid
    Your body has a hard time getting rid of uric acid

If too much uric acid builds up in the fluid around the joints (synovial fluid), uric acid crystals form. These crystals cause the joint to swell up and become inflamed.

The exact cause is unknown. Gout may run in families. It is more common in men, in women after menopause, and those who drink alcohol. People who take certain medicines, such as hydrochlorothiazide and other water pills, may have higher levels of uric acid in the blood.

The condition may also develop in people with:

Diabetes
    Kidney disease
    Obesity
    Sickle cell anemia and other anemias
    Leukemia and other blood cancers

The condition may occur after taking medicines that interfere with the removal of uric acid from the body.
    It's a type of arthritis.

Hubby has lost almost 130 lbs....and his gout has receded. He no longer needs the medication for it.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    —Benjamin Franklin
    Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    So I take it the pee thing didn't work?!

Oh crap my bad! I just read on the internet that drinking pee is bad for the grout!

Don'r drink pee.
    Yep, I have come to the conclusion it is because I am full of shit, or pee anyway.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
    Husband has gout...diagnosed in his mid 40's so it's not just OLD people (okay, depends on how you define OLD people!).
    I think it is obviously a mistake, we shouldn't be catching this until at least 70.

I read that cherry juice will stop gout attacks and keep them away, so I go to the store and they have no fresh cherries or cherry juice.
    They had cranberry cherry juice and dehydrated cherry juice infused cranberries, so I buy a gallon and a half of the juice and a bag of the cherry cranberries.
    Adam tells me in the thread they told him absolutely no cranberries with gout........... I drank a half gallon of the cranberry cherry juice and half the bag of cranberries already so now I can hardly walk, crap!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    I was diagnosed with gout about three years ago. I don't remember what they gave me for medication (whatever it was, it was pretty mild), but I do remember the instructions that they gave me, which struck me as odd. I was told specifically to stay away from anything with cranberry in it, be that cranberry sauce like with Thanksgiving dinner, or any variety of cranberry juice. I was also told specifically to drink lots of the cherry-flavored seltzer water that you can get in bottles at the grocery store. I haven't the foggiest of ideas why I was told that, but I did it, and I have to admit that it did clear up in a couple of days doing that.
    Odd because cranberry juice is good for your urinary tract. You might want to look into lactalose which help you rid your body of toxins. IIRC gout is caused by high levels of uric acid in your system.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

The doc gave me diclofenac sodium, pain is almost gone and I can walk.