Thread: Anybody have gout cures

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    First guy I ever knew with gout was no more than 40.

I haven't went to bed before 11 pm since I retired. More often closer to midnight.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    First guy I ever knew with gout was no more than 40.

I haven't went to bed before 11 pm since I retired. More often closer to midnight.
    This was just a special guest appearance of old age, I probably won't have a relapse for another 25 years, Now if you'll excuse me I have to go donate to the poor.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Odd because cranberry juice is good for your urinary tract. You might want to look into lactalose which help you rid your body of toxins. IIRC gout is caused by high levels of uric acid in your system.
    I thought it was strange too, but I didn't really get into it with the doctor at the time (I had just gone to a doc-in-a-box because I was in horrible pain and it was 7:00 at night). At that point, I was in so much pain that I didn't care what they had to say, so long as I got some relief.

As it turned out in the end, gout was the least of my problems. I actually had a genetic (in my case; there are lots of causes, but we've pretty much determined that mine was genetic) condition known as avascular necrosis, which is a fancy way of saying that all of the cartilage in my hips was gone and the tops of my femurs were effectively dead tissue, so my femurs were grinding directly into my pelvis with each step. One hip replacement done, and another on the way, I'm much better today, but the pain caused me to not sleep for a year. I'm not kidding. But even that pain, as bad as it was, wasn't nearly so debilitating as the pain I had from gout in my left knee.

I have, however, gone from not quite 6'1" to 5'8".

ETA: FWIW, gout appeared to me just after my 39th birthday.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

I'm glad that I read this. My doc annoys me so much by keeping his patients waiting hours and hours in the waiting room that I started going to the physician's assistant. I think what I need to do is just change docs.

The PA told me to take cranberry tablets to prevent UTI's. And he told me to increase the water pills for the blod pressure. No wonder I still feel bad. A German lady who works at Mote Marine with me told me to get pure cherry juice and drink lots and lots of it. Think I'll give it a try.

Of all the places for gout to settle, last year it hit my right index finger. I could barely use the computer. I take allopurinol, which has helped but had a flareup last week. I was bad and had a tiny amount of clams and scallops and the week before that some crab cakes. I paid for it. My foot was swollen this time and I could hardly walk.

Believe me, I feel your pain, Rock.

Be careful with certain veggies. They thought initially the gout surfaced because of all the asparagus I was eating. It's very inexpensive down here and I was OD'ing on asparagus several times a day. I also no longer eat spinach or mushrooms, also high in puric acid. Bacon also is a problem, along with most shell fish. Life isn't as much fun now. Drat.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I'm glad that I read this. My doc annoys me so much by keeping his patients waiting hours and hours in the waiting room that I started going to the physician's assistant. I think what I need to do is just change docs.

The PA told me to take cranberry tablets to prevent UTI's. And he told me to increase the water pills for the blod pressure. No wonder I still feel bad. A German lady who works at Mote Marine with me told me to get pure cherry juice and drink lots and lots of it. Think I'll give it a try.

Of all the places for gout to settle, last year it hit my right index finger. I could barely use the computer. I take allopurinol, which has helped but had a flareup last week. I was bad and had a tiny amount of clams and scallops and the week before that some crab cakes. I paid for it. My foot was swollen this time and I could hardly walk.

Believe me, I feel your pain, Rock.

Be careful with certain veggies. They thought initially the gout surfaced because of all the asparagus I was eating. It's very inexpensive down here and I was OD'ing on asparagus several times a day. I also no longer eat spinach or mushrooms, also high in puric acid. Bacon also is a problem, along with most shell fish. Life isn't as much fun now. Drat.
    Well this settles it, it hits young people too.
    I have lot's of dried cherries I'm munching on. hopefully they work so I don't have to take the medicine again after this flair up is gone.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Do not ever take aspirin for a gout attack!
    Do not ever take aspirin for a gout attack!!!!
    What was I thinking, acetylsalicylic acid.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I take allopurinol, which has helped but had a flareup last week..
    Many people on maintenance drugs such as allopurinol which is a low cost generic, also have other medication on hand for flare ups. There also is a very popular name brand drug COLCRYS which often has a high co-payment or requires prior authorization from the insurance company that many people have good results with. http://www.colcrys.com/default.aspx (This of course is not medical advice) (PS: The link has a free 7 day trial card for the drug)

I work with a guy that is 60, on his feet for 10 hours a day, with over an hour commute to work. He had a bad flare up last week in his toe and could hardly walk. It was hard not to cry just watching the guy. A couple years ago when he first found out he had gout, his leg locked up and he could not move.

When I was a kid I was always told my relatives that had gout received it from drinking too much beer.