1. #1 Fraternity’s Blackface Video Sparks Outrage, and UC-Irvine Will Investigate 
    Fraternity’s Blackface Video Sparks Outrage, and UC-Irvine Will Investigate

The video featured members of an Asian-American fraternity lip-syncing to the song “Suit and Tie,” by Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z, with one of the students in blackface to perform as Jay-Z. The fraternity, Lambda Theta Delta, said they did not intend to be racially offensive, and apologized, but the University of California campus’s Black Student Union said it was typical of racial insensitivity at Irvine. Thomas Parham, vice chancellor for student affairs, said any incident of racism or racial insensitivity would be investigated.

Blackface video sparks anger at UCI

...This month, members of Lambda Theta Delta, a historically Asian-American fraternity, filmed four students lip-syncing to the Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z song "Suit and Tie."

The fraternity member portraying Jay-Z wears blackface throughout.

OC Weekly first reported on the incident.

The video had been uploaded to the fraternity's YouTube page, where UCI students pointed out this week there was a second video featuring blackface.

"First of all we'd like to point out that this blackface video isn't the first, nor is it the last, example of racism that's been shown on this campus," said Ainaria Johnson, co-chairwoman of UCI's Black Student Union.

Johnson alleges members of her organization have had to move dorms after they were repeatedly subjected to racial slurs from other students.

The campus' student body of more than 27,000 is 2.6% African American, according to a UCI spokesman.

Any incident of racism or insensitivity the administration knows about is investigated, said Thomas Parham, UCI's vice chancellor for student affairs.

"We as a campus, I as an administrator, we are shocked," he said. "We are dismayed to see what I think is insensitive in a video parody that was made by these individuals."

It's unclear if the video was made out of ignorance or disregard for black students, Parham said, but he added the university is investigating.

"In either case it's reprehensible," he said.

The fraternity has apologized for the "Suit and Tie" video.

It was the work of four members who were ignorant of the racist implications of blackface, according to the fraternity's president, Darius Obana...

Blackface performances are a hot button issue. I don't think these guys were being offensive, though, because they were portraying a specific person who is black.

If it was the blackface performance my distant relative Laura Ingalls Wilder described in Little Town On the Prairie, well, that was pretty racist because it was an act based on a stereoptype of black men. I don't remember the specific name of their act, but it had the word "darkie" in it.

Anyone who was offended by a white man painting his face black so he can imitate Jay Z is just looking to be offended.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

Fabulous Poster
    Hopefully the students will defend themselves rather than put up with a lot of bullshit from the school. Seriously, who cares?

Fabulous Poster
    I have an idea for a policy: When one student complains about another, the student who is paying the least cash out of his own pocket for that semester has to apologize to the one paying the most cash out of his own pocket.