Thread: Desirous Dimanche

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Interesting. In no way was I disparaging the practice, btw. I've just never understood it. When I was a kid, my dad, who owned a handgun (I don't have a clue as to what type it was), took me to shoot. But that's pretty much the limit of my experience.

I can't imagine how it would be more beautiful than the Third Brandenberg Concerto, Dowson's Non Sum Qualis Eram Bonae Sub Regnio Cynarae, a Highland Park, Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night, the body of a beautiful woman...

But that's just me. :D
    True Dat. I knew what you meant. I mentioned it because so much of that which we find beautiful or interesting is shaped by what we are exposed to before we reach a point where we have the ability to choose what we look at and what we do. The culture into which we are born influences what we do in many ways (good and bad), but I don't think it necessarily trumps temperament or artistic sensibilities.

When I became old enough to see something of the world outside my own experience, I made a lot of choices based on what I found beautiful and interesting out in that wider world.

A love of books was a gift from my mother, even though no one in my family ever graduated even from high school. Books opened many doors for me.

My musical taste is more towards popular forms of music, but for many years I had season tickets to the symphony and enjoyed the concerts immensely.

I also enjoy a beautifully executed corner kick and the climb up the Alpe de Huez. :D
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    A nice day in our brave little, very slightly left-of-centre Island Kingdom.

I had another flying lesson today, and learnt a whole lot. It all went to show, you can read the textbook yay times over, but it all comes together when you actually do it.

The C-42 is a good aircraft...super stable and super responsive. It's a real buzz dropping the wing 30 degrees down and looking at the world beneath you.

TOTD: Good question. My instructor caught the moment today: he said, there are few experiences as good as the ones where you are learning something new.

I think I have to agree with that.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post

I had another flying lesson today, and learnt a whole lot. It all went to show, you can read the textbook yay times over, but it all comes together when you actually do it.

The C-42 is a good aircraft...super stable and super responsive. It's a real buzz dropping the wing 30 degrees down and looking at the world beneath you.

TOTD: Good question. My instructor caught the moment today: he said, there are few experiences as good as the ones where you are learning something new.

You went up in one of those little Buddy Holly aircraft?!?!:eek:

Actually, it must be a thrill to fly. Really cool. :D
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post

Heh. Check out Al Stewart's Flying Socery...

He's also got one entitled "The Immelman Turn," but I can't find it on YouTube.

NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    You went up in one of those little Buddy Holly aircraft?!?!:eek:

Actually, it must be a thrill to fly. Really cool. :D
    That's the exact aircraft, an Ikarus C-42...not the one I flew, but the one in your pic is based at an airfield not that far from here.

The one I flew today was brand new ... the club only took delivery of it a couple of weeks ago, just over 40 hours engine time on the clock so far.

They are amazingly good fun. I wish I'd started to do this years ago. I really can't recommend this enough.

Long day at the bookstore but after a very satisfying grilled steak, baked "loaded" potato and salad for dinner...I'm ready to finish the last of my "homework" (i.e.--annual performance reviews) and then collapse on the couch with my latest piece of fine horror literature!

TOTD: I would have to say--given the forementioned "restrictions"--probably a beautifully written passage/paragraph/scene in a story and/or novel. After that, most likely a song...words AND melody together that's just perfect.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature