1. #1 Man with Tourette Syndrome denied flight after saying "bomb" 
    WASHINGTON, DC -

A man with Tourette Syndrome was denied boarding a plane Thursday after he said the word “bomb.”

Michael Doyle and Chaz Petteway are friends and travel companions. They were booked on a Jet Blue flight from Reagan National Airport to San Juan Puerto Rico Thursday to take part in a weekend Revolutionary War reenactment.

"It was a really big deal for us. It was going to be fun. A very fun time," said Michael Doyle.

Doyle says he was not allowed to board his flight because of his Tourette’s. But they'd planned ahead, alerting Jet Blue and the TSA about his so-called ticking. That’s frequent outbursts and vocalizing thoughts he's trying to suppress.

“With all the stuff in the news about the Boston bombings and stuff... I started ticking 'bomb.' Because that when I get nervous and anything on my mind will come out. And things you're not supposed to say," said Doyle.

It didn't cause any issues at passenger screening.

"We went through TSA saying 'bomb' the whole time and no one stopped us. No one said anything because they were aware.”

Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.com/Story/2209116...#ixzz2RdqGT6mo
    Follow us: @myfoxdc on Twitter | myfoxdc on Facebook

I don't buy this Tourette Syndrome crap, something tells me that if you'd whack this guy across the side of the head hard with a ping pong paddle every time he starts shouting crap he would be miraculously healed but have a black and blue face that he could cuss about in private.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    WASHINGTON, DC -

A man with Tourette Syndrome was denied boarding a plane Thursday after he said the word “bomb.”

Michael Doyle and Chaz Petteway are friends and travel companions. They were booked on a Jet Blue flight from Reagan National Airport to San Juan Puerto Rico Thursday to take part in a weekend Revolutionary War reenactment.

"It was a really big deal for us. It was going to be fun. A very fun time," said Michael Doyle.

Doyle says he was not allowed to board his flight because of his Tourette’s. But they'd planned ahead, alerting Jet Blue and the TSA about his so-called ticking. That’s frequent outbursts and vocalizing thoughts he's trying to suppress.

“With all the stuff in the news about the Boston bombings and stuff... I started ticking 'bomb.' Because that when I get nervous and anything on my mind will come out. And things you're not supposed to say," said Doyle.

It didn't cause any issues at passenger screening.

"We went through TSA saying 'bomb' the whole time and no one stopped us. No one said anything because they were aware.”

Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.com/Story/2209116...#ixzz2RdqGT6mo
    Follow us: @myfoxdc on Twitter | myfoxdc on Facebook

I don't buy this Tourette Syndrome crap, something tells me that if you'd whack this guy across the side of the head hard with a ping pong paddle every time he starts shouting crap he would be miraculously healed but have a black and blue face that he could cuss about in private.
    This really is a good documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp1GH7SgVPE

The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Well fuck a duck, crap, shit, son of a bitch, democrat, asshole.............sorry I didn't mean to type that and post it.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Well fuck a duck, crap, shit, son of a bitch, democrat, asshole.............sorry I didn't mean to type that and post it.

I've only worked with a couple of people with Tourette's over the years. I don't think the spasms are voluntary, I think in that case it's like how old records would skip-the brain wiring skips on them. I do think the language used is somewhat voluntary, which is kind of why I believe this guy's story. He said that he was trying so hard not to say bomb that he ended up being unable to stop saying it.

Sonnabend
    It is a real disease, Rock. There are genetic factors involved as well.

I understand what you are saying, but this is a motor disease that affects behaviour, as opposed to physical issues. That is one of the major issues in diagniosing and treating and accepting psychiatric disorders, the signs and symptoms are behavioural in nature, not physical..no wounds or other physical issues that make the disease seen and understandable.

Mental health has a long way to go in terms of acceptance and understanding. You can't tell visually who has schizophrenia, but that is a real disease as well , with horrific consequences in some cases.

The issue lies in the brain,specifically with the ganglia and motor cortexes..we can set bones, we can stitch up wounds, we can remove tumours...what we dont know about the brain, is massive by comparison with the rest of the body. It'd be like smacking a five year epileptic for having seizures.

Fifty years ago or more,epilepsy was treated as "attention grabbing" or "made up tantrums"..these days we know better. There are treatments for epilepsy as well as a host of other diseases, mental health by comparison is defined more by what we dont know.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    You can't tell visually who has schizophrenia......
    I visually diagnose bipolar disorder all the time. It seems to disproportionately affect women and people with blue eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    It is a real disease, Rock. There are genetic factors involved as well.

I understand what you are saying, but this is a motor disease that affects behaviour, as opposed to physical issues. That is one of the major issues in diagniosing and treating and accepting psychiatric disorders, the signs and symptoms are behavioural in nature, not physical..no wounds or other physical issues that make the disease seen and understandable.

Mental health has a long way to go in terms of acceptance and understanding. You can't tell visually who has schizophrenia, but that is a real disease as well , with horrific consequences in some cases.

The issue lies in the brain,specifically with the ganglia and motor cortexes..we can set bones, we can stitch up wounds, we can remove tumours...what we dont know about the brain, is massive by comparison with the rest of the body. It'd be like smacking a five year epileptic for having seizures.

Fifty years ago or more,epilepsy was treated as "attention grabbing" or "made up tantrums"..these days we know better. There are treatments for epilepsy as well as a host of other diseases, mental health by comparison is defined more by what we dont know.
    I'm sure you are right but nowadays you don't know what is true and what is false, they have half our boys medicated.
    It all makes me skeptical of everything.

Sonnabend
    I'm sure you are right but nowadays you don't know what is true and what is false, they have half our boys medicated.
    Agreed.

Mental health and research into mental disorders is, and should be, a huge focus these days..but it's still treated as trivial or dismissed or neglected, I can remember when PTSD was first diagnosed as a mental disorder, those with it were called cowards or malingerers, back then it was called shell shock.

Remember Patton slapping that soldier?

Mental illness is still to use a word..stigmatised....by old superstitions and prejudice, people are accused of "making it all up" or "It's all in their heads, there is nothing wrong with them", research and serious accent on treatment , pouring funds into that research and getting results will take a lot of time. These days PTSD is a recognised and treatable illness, and one that is accepted as 100% real.

In this modern day, we know full well the terrible toll being a soldier takes, the privations, the fear, the terror..the long lasting effects it has.

That one change took decades.

Your skepticism is understandable, in all truth, there is just so much we dont know about the brain, and how it works...and why.