Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Horseshit.

Hostess was in the toilet due to poor management and market anticipation (ie demand for higher quality goods) back in 2004. Grupo Bimbo tried to buy it in 2007.

None of this has anything to do with the union. It's another case of an old company which should have been rock solid, being leveraged, mortgaged, and robbed by its own executives.

If they make junk food ineligible for food stamps, all of these crapmakers will go under.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Horseshit.

Hostess was in the toilet due to poor management and market anticipation (ie demand for higher quality goods) back in 2004. Grupo Bimbo tried to buy it in 2007.

None of this has anything to do with the union. It's another case of an old company which should have been rock solid, being leveraged, mortgaged, and robbed by its own executives.

If they make junk food ineligible for food stamps, all of these crapmakers will go under.
    *cough* BS *cough*

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    *cough* BS *cough*
    Actually, he's partially right. Mismanagement is what killed Hostess. The union just supplied the dagger. As for the better goods thing, this is poppycock. If this were the case then Dunkin' donuts would be history. They aren't getting by on coffee alone. Tastycake, Little Debbie, Dolly Madison, as well as others are doing pretty well in spite of people wanting to eat healthier.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Actually, he's partially right. Mismanagement is what killed Hostess. The union just supplied the dagger. As for the better goods thing, this is poppycock. If this were the case then Dunkin' donuts would be history. They aren't getting by on coffee alone. Tastycake, Little Debbie, Dolly Madison, as well as others are doing pretty well in spite of people wanting to eat healthier.
    Unions always supply the dagger. They are the #1 reason companies have issues. The unions don't care about the company, they only care about themselves and what they can do to gain complete control of the company; ie, GM ...

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Horseshit.

In 2004 it was struggling with rising cost of Union Labor, and rising cost of flour. Because of the contracts with the unions it couldn't do a damn thing. So where could it cut cost? Hmm product quality?

Far as Grupo Bimbo in 2007, it was Bimbo who walked away from the deal. Allowing Yucaipa to buy it for 580 million instead.

Far as not the unions fault. All the other unions agreed to the deal that would have saved Hostess, except one. The bakers union. And it was they who forced the company to close their doors. Had they agreed to the deal as the others did, hostess would not have closed.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Dunkin Donuts isn't a health food store, but they have adapted to the market a great deal. Yes, they still sell glazed donuts that are pure grease and sugar, but they also sell some sandwiches that aren't too bad nutritionally. My mom gets the turkey sausage and eggwhite breakfast sandwich and the unfrosted cake donut. I usually get whatever is simple. I also only get the old fashioned sour cream donut, otherwise I consider it a waste of calories. That they sell bottled water makes them better than a lot of places.

PS, Don't waste your time on the pancake wrapped sausage nuggets. And nothing they sell is as good as a McDonald's sausage biscuit. It just isn't.

Fabulous Poster
    But those workers won't be unionized.

yet

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!

yet
    The plants will open without the unions, with exceptions of I would say the drivers (Teamsters). Factory workers will likely stay non union for several years. I won't go as far as saying for-ever, but they won't be any time soon. And it won't be the same union who operated in there before.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    [...] last month Apollo Global Management, LLC, and Metropoulos & Co., which owns Pabst Blue Ribbon and Vlasic pickles, bought the 83-year-old company for $410 million, renaming it Hostess Brands LLC. It is planning to re-open four bakeries over the next two and a half months, in Columbus, Ga.; Emporia, Kan.; Schiller Park, Ill.; and Indianapolis. It is also contemplating a fifth in Los Angeles.

According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, C. Dean Metropoulos, the company's chief executive, said that between now and September, he plans to inject $60 million in capital investments into the plants, and hopes to hire at least 1,500 workers.

[...]

A spokesman for the Teamsters declined to comment. But in a November 2012 statement the Teamsters noted that the "BCTGM's leaders are putting Teamster members in a horrible position – asking them to support a strike that will put them out of a job when they haven't even asked all their members to go on strike." ◄ Just got to point out, but wasn't it those same unions who were calibrating their "Victory" over Hostess when they forced them out?

http://news.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=...54/story01.htm

Sounds like a win win. Our snacks return, unions are gone, and that stupid Judge will have to eat crow for his rulings.

Better part, without those unions, their snacks should be cheaper too.
    And it creates employment. I had found other companies making their version of the Sweet Sixteen doughnuts and king dons (my favorite, don't want to call it by its more recent name. lol). I have to say I pretty much refused to buy to buy Hostess for the most part because they were expensive. Maybe this will be cheaper. We'll see.
    Human lives matter.

Are you suggesting that only the poor buy junk food? lol.

I work for a company that pays pretty decent and offers benefits. They have made it clear that they don't go for unions, and I'm okay with that. Maybe unions aren't as necessary as they used to be. In the end, they sort of seem like another company. They serve their customers, no matter how irrational what they want might be.

I do think unions are necessary in some settings, but not all. What it comes down to is whether we trust our employers. Some employers are not worthy of trust. Some are.
    Human lives matter.