link

LOL They are more outraged than when a 7 or 8 year old gets suspended for chewing a piece if toast into a shape that resembles a gun or a teen to wearing an NRA t shirt.

They are all for zero tolerance until they are not.

Star Member The Straight Story (41,185 posts)

Florida Teen Girl Charged With Felony After Science Experiment Goes Bad
Florida Teen Girl Charged With Felony After Science Experiment Goes Bad

Kiera Wilmot got good grades and had a perfect behavior record. She wasn't the kind of kid you'd expect to find hauled away in handcuffs and expelled from school, but that's exactly what happened after an attempt at a science project went horribly wrong.

On 7 a.m. on Monday, the 16 year-old mixed some common household chemicals in a small 8 oz water bottle on the ground of Bartow High School in Barton, Florida. The reaction caused a small explosion that caused the top to pop up and produced some smoke. No one was hurt and no damage was caused.

According to WTSP, Wilmot told police that she was merely conducting a science experiment. Though her teachers knew nothing of the specific project, her principal seems to agree.

"She made a bad choice. Honestly, I don't think she meant to ever hurt anyone," principal Ron Pritchard told the station. "She wanted to see what would happen and was shocked by what it did. Her mother is shocked, too."

After the explosion Wilmot was taken into custody by a school resources officer and charged with possession/discharge of a weapon on school grounds and discharging a destructive device. She will be tried as an adult.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/ripti...arged_with.php
skip fox (11,883 posts)
27. damn!

Do we know their party affiliation?

Could be Democratic, but I'm guessing otherwise.
Star Member Arctic Dave (12,327 posts)
3. Why did I know this young lady was going to be a minority.

Exhibit 100,037 in ways to disenfranchise and lock up minorities in America.
Star Member rurallib (30,919 posts)
30. oddly - first thing that popped into my mind also.
Star Member barbtries (14,962 posts)
51. it took me a minute, but yeah.

motherfucking racist FUCKS.
sharp_stick (9,042 posts)
6. Once again it's fucking Florida

So often this idiotic shit seems to happen in Florida. Is there something in the water down there that takes away the ability to think critically?

A felony charge for a high school student that didn't hurt or even intend to hurt anyone or cause damage.
Dr. Strange (21,455 posts)
19. Um...

She was then taken to a juvenile assessment center. She was also expelled from school and will be forced to complete her diploma through an explosion program.

An explosion program? Isn't that what caused the problem in the first place?
Star Member nolabear (14,392 posts)
56. Probably meant "expulsion". But, you know, the education system is busy doing dumb things like this.

Teaching spelling would be so, so, ordinary.
Star Member lpbk2713 (23,161 posts)
35. All this nonsense will make her miss final exams, book reports and other work.

At the very least, the result of all this will be her failing the school year.
This is so stupid it's unbelievable. Her teachers should share some of
the blame for not knowing what she was doing.
heaven05 (2,196 posts)
39. ???

amurikkkan justice at it's best.(sarcasm) amurikans have become exceedingly stupid. How do I know? Bachman, king, cruz, snyder romshits 47% ect ect ect got the votes from .....