Thread: Washington State Bans Words Like Penmanship And Policeman And Other Liberal Idiocy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Washington State Bans Words Like Penmanship And Policeman And Other Liberal Idiocy 
    Saying that these words are sexist. The Democrat(shocking I know) governor says he wants more gender neutral terminology. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...ender-neutral/ It doesn't stop there. Now the term 'master bedroom' is racist. http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...master-bedroom You simply cannot make this stuff up. I think we need to call Orwell a prophet.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Oh, for God's sake.

Policeman and police woman. It doesn't work so well with "fire" though, since "fire woman" would kind of imply that she is some type of pagan priestess.

I've actually wondered what you would call a guy who writes parking tickets, since we always call people who do that "meter maids". I have yet to see a male performing that task.

The master bedroom thing is both stupid and funny. Does that mean the term "masturbation" is racist?

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Saying that these words are sexist. The Democrat(shocking I know) governor says he wants more gender neutral terminology. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...ender-neutral/ It doesn't stop there. Now the term 'master bedroom' is racist. http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...master-bedroom You simply cannot make this stuff up. I think we need to call Orwell a prophet.
    To say that the word "master" is inherently racist is to assume that the word suddenly appeared in the 1800s with no context. It also ignores the other meanings of the word, such as proficiency (to master a skill, or to be a master of it), command (master of a ship), education (a master is a teacher, hence master's degree) or primacy (such as a master disk, which is copied, or a master suite, which is the primary suite). Slavery goes back to the first human societies, and was not racial (tribes enslaved each other long before there were nations), so the term's connotations should offend anyone descended from slaves, which pretty much includes everybody in the world. This all sounds rather masturbatory, to me, or can I no longer say that?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    To say that the word "master" is inherently racist is to assume that the word suddenly appeared in the 1800s with no context. It also ignores the other meanings of the word, such as proficiency (to master a skill, or to be a master of it), command (master of a ship), education (a master is a teacher, hence master's degree) or primacy (such as a master disk, which is copied, or a master suite, which is the primary suite). Slavery goes back to the first human societies, and was not racial (tribes enslaved each other long before there were nations), so the term's connotations should offend anyone descended from slaves, which pretty much includes everybody in the world. This all sounds rather masturbatory, to me, or can I no longer say that?
    Mobil Oil issued a memo instructing us to stop referring to terminals as master and slave. That was in 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Policeman and police woman. It doesn't work so well with "fire" though, since "fire woman" would kind of imply that she is some type of pagan priestess.
    Or a super heroine. Or a stripper. Or a Pagan priestess super heroine stripper. Come to think of it, I think that I caught her act years ago.

I've actually wondered what you would call a guy who writes parking tickets, since we always call people who do that "meter maids". I have yet to see a male performing that task.
    I have, but they are usually cops, not parking enforcement, but those have been in major cities.

The master bedroom thing is both stupid and funny. Does that mean the term "masturbation" is racist?
    It depends on the size of it. The larger it is, the more racist...

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Mobil Oil issued a memo instructing us to stop referring to terminals as master and slave. That was in 1992.
    What did they tell you to replace them with? Any hierarchal names can be construed as being unegalitarian (which is the point, of course), and therefore offensive.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

What did they tell you to replace them with? Any hierarchal names can be construed as being unegalitarian (which is the point, of course), and therefore offensive.
    I can't recall. No one did it anyway. Eventually the situation was overcome by events.

I would have thought you old enough to have seen all male police departments where the only fellow on the block was the beat cop and he wrote plenty of parking tickets each and every day. The presence and activity of "meter maids" is relatively a new thing.

Try "fire fighter", that's the common term today and there is not a thing wrong with it.

PC has gone berserk.

Ody - I caught that same act in Tulsa a few years back.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    I would have thought you old enough to have seen all male police departments where the only fellow on the block was the beat cop and he wrote plenty of parking tickets each and every day. The presence and activity of "meter maids" is relatively a new thing.

Try "fire fighter", that's the common term today and there is not a thing wrong with it.

PC has gone berserk.

"Lovely Rita" came out in 1967, 3 years after I was born. We had meter maids in Grand Rapids and in Detroit, and in Kentwood, parking was free.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I can't recall. No one did it anyway. Eventually the situation was overcome by events.
    Then hopefully, this too shall pass. In the meantime, it warrants relentless ridicule, as a warning to other PC tools in order to prevent future generations of personagers (can't have managers, now can we?) from imposing their attempts to castrate the language.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Yeah, it was a great act, but it took a while for my eyebrows to grow back.
    --Odysseus